Poors man's HRM

Man Without Pig

Guest
Radio Parts in Spencer St, Melbourne are selling digital watches that have a built in heart rate
monitor for $20. To make a reading, one has to hold their finger on a sensor pad for a less than a
minute. It also has a stopwatch and thermometer. The thermometer is pretty useless when strapped on
to the arm as body temperature alters the reading.

Man Without Pigs wrote:
> To make a reading, one has to hold their finger on a sensor pad for a less than a minute.

A minute!? What a joke! You would be better to hold a finger to your carotid artery for 10 seconds,
and multiply the count by 6.

Originally posted by Mike
Man Without Pigs wrote:
> To make a reading, one has to hold their finger on a sensor pad for a less than a minute.

A minute!? What a joke! You would be better to hold a finger to your carotid artery for 10 seconds,
and multiply the count by 6.

How much less than a minute, MWP? I suppose it could be handy, though, for people like me; I can't get a pulse from any of my arteries... :eek: I do have a heart rate monitor, btw, but surely there are other people out there who show all signs of being clinically dead and aren't so fortunate? ;)

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:45:34 +0000, Etxy wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> > Man Without Pigs wrote:
> > > To make a reading, one has to hold their finger on a
> > > sensor pad for a less than a minute.
> > A minute!? What a joke! You would be better to hold a
> > finger to your carotid artery for 10 seconds, and
> > multiply the count by 6.
>

> How much less than a minute, MWP? I suppose it could be
> handy, though, for people like me; I can't get a pulse
> from any of my arteries... :eek: I do have a heart rate
> monitor, btw, but surely there are other people out there
> who show all signs of being clinically dead and aren't so
> fortunate? ;)

Sure, the HRM is a gimmick. Counting your pulse at traffic
lights on a noisy street isn't always easy. Just tested it
and it gave a reading in 4 seconds. The other stuff like
clock, alarm, and stopwatch made it a good cheap purchase.
Look out for it at my next garage sale.