MA-2 replacement rims

Grant

Guest
Since I did not have the foresight to stockpile MA-2 rims, I
am now looking at other rims to build up for my light
touring/training/recreational riding bike. Loaded for
touring, total weight including bike, rider and gear would
be about 215 lbs.

I am considering these 36H rims:

Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm

Which of these would be the best choice? Price is not a
consideration.

Thanks for your help.

Grant

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:12:18 GMT, "Grant" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Since I did not have the foresight to stockpile MA-2 rims,
>I am now looking at other rims to build up for my light
>touring/training/recreational riding bike. Loaded for
>touring, total weight including bike, rider and gear would
>be about 215 lbs.
>
>I am considering these 36H rims:
>
>Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
>Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm
>
>Which of these would be the best choice? Price is not a
>consideration.

Just one data point: changing a tire on the Sun CR-18 is a
real bear. The bottom of the rim is essentially flat, so
it's difficult to move the tire around enough to get the
bead off the rim. I had to go out and get tire "irons" for
this rim -- all the rest in the stable I can change with my
bare (or gloved) hands.

Pat

>I believe Ritchey also makes a similar rim, not sure if it
>comes in 36h or not.

I believe it is 32 or 36 hole trekking rim. Rear is OC.
23 wide. B

(remove clothes to reply)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Grant wrote:

> I am considering these 36H rims:
>
> Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
> Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm

I use both the Sun and the Torelli Master rims on my bikes.
If you're looking to replace the MA-2, the Master's the way
to go: it's double-eyeletted, box-sectioned, and (I think)
non-anodized. The CR-18 rims are very nice too.

Trent

trent gregory hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>I use both the Sun and the Torelli Master rims on my bikes.
>If you're looking to replace the MA-2, the Master's the way
>to go: it's double-eyeletted, box-sectioned, and (I think)
>non-anodized.

It's my turn to ask if anyone knows of a source of these in
the UK - or at least within the EU...
--
David Damerell <[email protected]>
Distortion Field!

David Damerell wrote:
> trent gregory hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I use both the Sun and the Torelli Master rims on my
>> bikes. If you're looking to replace the MA-2, the
>> Master's the way to go: it's double-eyeletted, box-
>> sectioned, and (I think) non-anodized.
>
> It's my turn to ask if anyone knows of a source of these
> in the UK - or at least within the EU...

http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/

Does the Ambrosia Nexus. Ambrosia actually make the rims for
Torelli, the Nexus is the same section but anodised.

http://www.ambrosiospa.com/provajpg/pag27.htm

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

"Grant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Since I did not have the foresight to stockpile MA-2 rims,
> I am now looking at other rims to build up for my light
> touring/training/recreational riding bike. Loaded for
> touring, total weight including bike, rider and gear would
> be about 215 lbs.
>
> I am considering these 36H rims:
>
> Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
> Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm
>
> Which of these would be the best choice? Price is not a
> consideration.

The Torelli Master is a drop-in replacement to the MA-2. The
only discernable difference is the surface treatment, which
if anything is slightly better on the Torelli (not as shiny,
but braking is better when new). I recently rebuilt an MA-2
wheel with the Torelli Master, using the old spokes, and am
quite pleased with this rim.

Eric Salathe