or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

post #1 of 8
Hi,

I would like to buy a beach cruiser style bicycle that is light enough to carry up and down the
stairs easily. I would also like to spend less than $300 if possible, since the bike would only be
used for riding around town (and the beach, of course) and not on any demanding trails.

At least 3 speeds would be nice too, but not completely necessary.

So far, cruiser bikes I've researched online have been over 40 lbs, even with aluminum components.
Are light-weight cruiser bikes available in my price range? Does anyone know how heavy the Trek
Calypso is?

I would appreciate any recommendations you have.

Thank you,

Johann
post #2 of 8

Re: Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

Here are some possibilities:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/rollo.html

http://www.dahon.com/boardwalks1.htm

It is not entirely clear from your post what you are looking for. Are you interested primarily in a
simple bike for casual riding, without a derailleur, or do you want the cruiser image?

If you just want simplicity and practicality, you could look for a decent used road bike or hybrid
to fix up as a fixed gear. If you are handy enough, you could also put in a hub gear, but I'll be
honest, this is not something I've ever tried myself.

If you want the image, not sure what to suggest.

On 7 Dec 2003 20:28:53 -0800, johannzimbal@yahoo.com (Johann Zimbal) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to buy a beach cruiser style bicycle that is light enough to carry up and down the
>stairs easily. I would also like to spend less than $300 if possible, since the bike would only be
>used for riding around town (and the beach, of course) and not on any demanding trails.
>
>At least 3 speeds would be nice too, but not completely necessary.
>
>So far, cruiser bikes I've researched online have been over 40 lbs, even with aluminum components.
>Are light-weight cruiser bikes available in my price range? Does anyone know how heavy the Trek
>Calypso is?
>
>I would appreciate any recommendations you have.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Johann
post #3 of 8

Re: Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

Not real sure what you are looking for but Kona has a few bike that should work for you. I think
that for just cursing around town the first one is great

http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm

http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm

Rod Raisanen Chillicothe, Oh

To Reply remove garbage "Johann Zimbal" <johannzimbal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to buy a beach cruiser style bicycle that is light enough to carry up and down the
> stairs easily. I would also like to spend less than $300 if possible, since the bike would only be
> used for riding around town (and the beach, of course) and not on any demanding trails.
>
> At least 3 speeds would be nice too, but not completely necessary.
>
> So far, cruiser bikes I've researched online have been over 40 lbs, even with aluminum components.
> Are light-weight cruiser bikes available in my price range? Does anyone know how heavy the Trek
> Calypso is?
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations you have.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Johann
post #4 of 8

Re: Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

Sorry not sure how to point the browser to the right frame set. Just go to 2004 bikes and check out
"Smoke" and "Lana'I".

Rod Raisanen

"Rod Raisanen" <hotrod@horizonview.netgarbage> wrote in message
> Not real sure what you are looking for but Kona has a few bike that should work for you. I think
> that for just cursing around town the first one is great
>
> http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm
>
> http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm
>
> Rod Raisanen Chillicothe, Oh
>
> To Reply remove garbage "Johann Zimbal" <johannzimbal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to buy a beach cruiser style bicycle that is light enough to carry up and down the
> > stairs easily. I would also like to spend less than $300 if possible, since the bike would only
> > be used for riding around town (and the beach, of course) and not on any demanding trails.
> >
> > At least 3 speeds would be nice too, but not completely necessary.
> >
> > So far, cruiser bikes I've researched online have been over 40 lbs, even with aluminum
> > components. Are light-weight cruiser bikes available in my price range? Does anyone know how
> > heavy the Trek Calypso is?
> >
> > I would appreciate any recommendations you have.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Johann
post #5 of 8

Re: Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

Thanks everyone,

Yeah, I'm going for the cruiser bike look, but want something light. From everything I've tested first-
hand, the Electra cruiser bikes seem to be the lightest by far (in the US$200-300 price range at
least), but then again, I haven't seen everything out on the market.

How did you know I like to ride around town cursing as I go? :-)

Johann
post #6 of 8

Re: Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

Here's another cool looking single speed, there is also a 7 speed hub gear version of this. Don't
know if it's the look that you're going for, but I'd be surpised if you can find a bike with that
authentic cruiser appearance that is still fairly light. The single speed and 7 speed versions are
$400 and $500, so may be more than you want to pay.

MP

http://vandesselsports.com/b_straightUp.shtml

On 11 Dec 2003 09:33:39 -0800, johannzimbal@yahoo.com (Johann Zimbal) wrote:

>Thanks everyone,
>
>Yeah, I'm going for the cruiser bike look, but want something light. From everything I've tested
>first-hand, the Electra cruiser bikes seem to be the lightest by far (in the US$200-300 price range
>at least), but then again, I haven't seen everything out on the market.
>
>How did you know I like to ride around town cursing as I go? :-)
>
>Johann
post #7 of 8

Re: Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

johannzimbal@yahoo.com (Johann Zimbal) wrote:

> Yeah, I'm going for the cruiser bike look, but want something light. From everything I've tested
> first-hand, the Electra cruiser bikes seem to be the lightest by far (in the US$200-300 price
> range at least), but then again, I haven't seen everything out on the market.

Check out Phat Cycles. They have a cruiser called the "21", which was its weight in pounds at the
time it was introduced (I don't know if that has changed in the succeeding years). It now has a 7-
speed counterpart called the "24-7", which if it's true to it's name, would be worth your attention.
http://www.phatcycles.com

Chalo Colina
post #8 of 8

Re: Cruiser bike under 40 lbs?

http://www.breezerbikes.com/ Has 3 and 7 internal gears and tradition gears. Built in lights and
generator and racks. Retro look. From the guy who started the mountain bikes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling
This thread is locked