Medic Alert or Life Alert

!gbritton

Guest
I've been buying cheap($6.00C) dogtags stamped "diabetic" for several
years now. Unfortunately I keep breaking them, usually waking up with
the chain still on my neck but the tag beside the bed :)

Medic Alert has nice looking stuff, but is a lot more
expensive than Life Alert, which doesn't look as nice at
all.

Any advice/recommendations/alternatives?

If you prefer to respond by e-mail, it's
!gbritton@!telus.!net, without the !'s :)
--

!gbritton@!telus.!net wrote in news:0gOSPPitPZzm-pn2-
lldxtddPubyj@localhost:

> I've been buying cheap($6.00C) dogtags stamped "diabetic"
> for several years now. Unfortunately I keep breaking them,
> usually waking up with the chain still on my neck but the
> tag beside the bed :)
>
> Medic Alert has nice looking stuff, but is a lot
> more expensive than Life Alert, which doesn't look
> as nice at all.

Go with the Medic Alert stainless steel medallion. It's
cheap and extremely durable. Medic Alert is only expensive
if you insist on silver or gold.

--
Steve Gray [email protected]

<!gbritton@!telus.!net> wrote in message
> I've been buying cheap($6.00C) dogtags stamped "diabetic"
> for several years now. Unfortunately I keep breaking them,
> usually waking up with the chain still on my neck but the
> tag beside the bed :)
>
> Medic Alert has nice looking stuff, but is a lot
> more expensive than Life Alert, which doesn't look
> as nice at all.
>
> Any advice/recommendations/alternatives?

As a paramedic for 16 years, I can tell you that I've liked
dealing with MedicAlert than Life Alert much better. Not to
knock Life Alert, but the people who answer MedicAlert's
phones for emergency providers are generally RNs who are
able to give you a lot of pertinent details about your
medical history and medications in a quick, concise manner.
Life Alert is more of a 911 activation service (IIRC,
they're the "I've fallen and I can't get up" people).

I've worn a MedicAlert bracelet (stainless steel "plain
Jane" type) as a fire fighter/paramedic for about three
years, and it is extremely durable. The red enamel has worn
off the logo, but it's still easily recognizable.

Also, just a word of advice -- if you can tolerate wearing
the bracelet instead of the necklace/chain, I'd recommend
that. Medics and other emergency personnel do routinely
check for medical ID tags, but in my experience the
bracelets are found more quickly. That could be very
important if your BG is in the teens! If you carry a wallet
card for medical ID, do that only as a back-up to the
bracelet/chain, since the wallet is usually inconvenient to
access, and, therefore, the last place we look (we figure if
you had a medical condition, you'd be wearing a bracelet!).

Bill
--
Bill Peckenpaugh
[email protected]

"Steven Gray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> !gbritton@!telus.!net wrote in news:0gOSPPitPZzm-pn2-
> lldxtddPubyj@localhost:
>
> > I've been buying cheap($6.00C) dogtags stamped
> > "diabetic" for several years now. Unfortunately I keep
> > breaking them, usually waking up with the chain still on
> > my neck but the tag beside the bed :)
> >
> > Medic Alert has nice looking stuff, but is a lot more
> > expensive than Life Alert, which doesn't look as nice
> > at all.
>
> Go with the Medic Alert stainless steel medallion. It's
> cheap and extremely durable. Medic Alert is only expensive
> if you insist on silver or gold.

But if you can't tolerate the stainless steel (makes my skin
itch), you can buy the 10k gold filled necklace. It did cost
more, but as I recall, it was not prohibitive. The chain did
start to get dull after a while, but if that bothers you,
you can watch the sales in local stores and buy a 14k chain
to put the medallion on. By careful shopping, I was able to
get a 30" chain for less than $100.

--
Best wishes,
Louise

Type 2 since 2000
Controlling by exercise and diet

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:29:08 GMT, !gbritton@!telus.!net wrote:

>I've been buying cheap($6.00C) dogtags stamped "diabetic"
>for several years now. Unfortunately I keep breaking them,
>usually waking up with the chain still on my neck but the
>tag beside the bed :)
>
>Medic Alert has nice looking stuff, but is a lot more
>expensive than Life Alert, which doesn't look as nice at
>all.

You get what you pay for. I paid for a nice flexible
bracelet and a good necklace from medicalert. Have had them
both for quite some time(3 plus years) and no sign either is
about to wear out or break and none of those green stains
from cheap metals the over the counters would leave.

>Any advice/recommendations/alternatives?

only works if you are at home and actually capable of
hitting the button.

Mack©«®» Type 1 since 1975 http://www.alt-support-
diabetes.org http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State of
Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with
strife and terrorism.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."

...Theodore Roosevelt

In article <0gOSPPitPZzm-pn2-lldxtddPubyj@localhost>, !gbritton@!telus.!net
writes:

>Any advice/recommendations/alternatives?

I've been a Medic-Alert member for nearly all the time
they've been in business (mid 1960's if I remember
correctly). I've always used the stainless steel bracelets
because my acidic skin destroys the gold and silver. In that
time EMS personnel have used their service several times
(due to hypo's) and each time the paramedics responded
favorably when asked if the information they'd gotten was
OK. [I include in my Medic-Alert info. file and on my medal,
a statement that says: "Diabetes -- Insulin dependent. If
unconscious or incoherient, give sugar."] Each time I've
spoken to their telephone staff to renew membership or order
a new medal they've always been very courteous and prompt in
taking care of business. I don't know anything about Life
Alert, but Medic Alert will always get my vote! Lee Sun Type
1, 56 of 60 years, still going strong with minimal
complications.