or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

baking soda in pasta sauce?

post #1 of 8
I've been looking through some good pasta sauce recipes, and a couple of them mention putting a
pinch of baking soda into the sauce. They say it makes the sauce sweeter and richer.

I've never heard of this -- is it true?

THanks!
post #2 of 8

Re: baking soda in pasta sauce?

mdfloyd@qx.net (mdfloyd) wrote in

> I've been looking through some good pasta sauce recipes, and a couple of them mention putting a
> pinch of baking soda into the sauce. They say it makes the sauce sweeter and richer.
>
> I've never heard of this -- is it true?
>
> THanks!

The Baking soda neutralizes some of the acidity of the tomatoes...A pinch maybe 2 is all you need to
remove the bitter taste of over acidic tomato sauce. It doesn't necessarily make it sweet
tasting...just less acidic/bitter. I've rescued a few sauces this way. We're talking about changing
the PH not making sweeter. BTW too much will ruin a sauce too, so use a light hand.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under) -me just a while ago
post #3 of 8

Re: baking soda in pasta sauce?

>I've been looking through some good pasta sauce recipes, and a couple of them mention putting a
>pinch of baking soda into the sauce. They say it makes the sauce sweeter and richer.
>
>I've never heard of this -- is it true?
>
>THanks!

I've done it before and while it does reduces the acidity, to me it also seems to remove a lot of
the flavor and the sauce ends up tasting flat. Sautéed onions or garlic will sweeten a tomato based
pasta sauce, so will grated carrots. If a sauce is still too acidic I'll just go ahead and add a
pinch of sugar to it.
post #4 of 8

Re: baking soda in pasta sauce?

In article <cd1ac0f9.0312100802.2c19749b@posting.google.com>,
mdfloyd@qx.net (mdfloyd) wrote:

> I've been looking through some good pasta sauce recipes, and a couple of them mention putting a
> pinch of baking soda into the sauce. They say it makes the sauce sweeter and richer.
>
> I've never heard of this -- is it true?
>
> THanks!

I don't know about sweeter and richer. It does lessen the acidity of the tomato taste, though. I've
posted the suggestion here a number of times, having read about it here a long time ago. I do it.
Mustn't use much, though. A pinch into the simmering sauce, stir, and watch it bubble up. I haven't
tried the milk thing.
--
-Barb <www.jamlady.eboard.com> "If you're ever in a jam, here I am."
post #5 of 8

DJS0302 wrote:

>>I've been looking through some good pasta sauce recipes, and a couple of them mention putting a
>>pinch of baking soda into the sauce. They say it makes the sauce sweeter and richer.
>>
>>I've never heard of this -- is it true?
>>
>>THanks!
>=20 20
> I've done it before and while it does reduces the acidity, to me it als=
o seems
> to remove a lot of the flavor and the sauce ends up tasting flat. Saut=
=E9ed
> onions or garlic will sweeten a tomato based pasta sauce, so will grate=
> carrots. If a sauce is still too acidic I'll just go ahead and add a p=
inch of
> sugar to it.=20

I've tried it and agree with the above posters opinion. I tried Anna=20 Maries method of adding a
touch of milk or 1/2 and 1/2 and it works=20 much better IMO. YMMV

--=20 Steve

post #6 of 8

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:04:17 GMT, Dimitri wrote:

> "mdfloyd" <mdfloyd@qx.net> wrote in message
>> I've been looking through some good pasta sauce recipes, and a couple of them mention putting a
>> pinch of baking soda into the sauce. They say it makes the sauce sweeter and richer.
>>
>> I've never heard of this -- is it true?
>>
>> THanks!
>
> Yes, it neutralizes some of the acid found in the tomatoes. I am not saying it better, that is a
> matter of taste.
>
> Dimitri

Other ways to get rid of the acidic taste is to cook it longer and/or add mushrooms.
--
JakeInHartsel
post #7 of 8

Steve Calvin wrote:

> DJS0302 wrote:
>
>>> I've been looking through some good pasta sauce recipes, and a couple of them mention putting a
>>> pinch of baking soda into the sauce. They say it makes the sauce sweeter and richer.
>>>
>>> I've never heard of this -- is it true?
>>>
>>> THanks!
>>

>> I've done it before and while it does reduces the acidity, to me it also seems to remove a lot of
>> the flavor and the sauce ends up tasting flat. Sautéed onions or garlic will sweeten a tomato
>> based pasta sauce, so will grated carrots. If a sauce is still too acidic I'll just go ahead and
>> add a pinch of sugar to it.
>

> I've tried it and agree with the above posters opinion. I tried Anna Maries method of adding a
> touch of milk or 1/2 and 1/2 and it works much better IMO. YMMV

i was going to post my trick and i see you did it for me thanks.... :-)

ciao, anna maria

www.annamariavolpi.com
post #8 of 8

anna maria wrote:

>> I've tried it and agree with the above posters opinion. I tried Anna Maries method of adding a
>> touch of milk or 1/2 and 1/2 and it works much better IMO. YMMV
>>

> i was going to post my trick and i see you did it for me thanks.... :-)
>
> ciao, anna maria
>

> www.annamariavolpi.com

Sorry about misspelling your name! Spelling was never a strong point of mine. I always leaned more
toward the sciences.

--
Steve

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: