or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PIC A LILY RECIPE ?

post #1 of 5
Hi group, does anyone have a recipe for picalily? Hope I spelled it correctly. It`s similiar to
relish but a totally different taste. My parents & granparents made it when I was growing up. It was
served as a side dish at dinner. Thanx In Advance. EMAIL WELCOME
post #2 of 5

Re: PIC A LILY RECIPE ?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:35:38 -0500 (EST), godsmypilot@webtv.net wrote:

>Hi group, does anyone have a recipe for picalily? Hope I spelled it correctly. It`s similiar to
>relish but a totally different taste. My parents & granparents made it when I was growing up. It
>was served as a side dish at dinner. Thanx In Advance. EMAIL WELCOME

Piccalilli.
post #3 of 5

Re: PIC A LILY RECIPE ?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jim Peagram's Piccalilli Mustard Pickles

Recipe By : Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Family

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
-----MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM----- 2 md Cauliflower, broken into sm Flowerets 2 Cucumber, quartered
Length Wise And cut in 1/2" pieces 16 oz Pearl onions, peeled 2 lg Spanish onion, chopped 8 Green
tomatoes, blanched Peeled & cut into chunks 3 c Pickling salt 5 c Malt vinegar SAUCE 5 c Malt
vinegar 6 tb Mustard seed, bruised 2 sl Ginger, 2", peeled & Chopped 8 Garlic cloves, halved 2 tb
Black Peppercorns, Bruised 2 tb Turmeric 2 tb Dry mustard 1 c Sugar 6 tb Flour 8 tb Water

A traditional English mustard pickle, Piccalilli is made from a variety of vegetables which are
first soaked in brine, then pickled in vinegar. The finished pickle is yellow in colour owing to
the presence of turmeric and mustard. The pickle may be s

Jim's Piccalilli Mustard Pickles Cont d

Place the cauliflower, cucumber, pearl onions, Spanish onion and tomatoes in a large bowl.
Sprinkle with salt over the vegetables and set them aside for 4 hours.

Drain the vegetables in a colander and discard the liquid.

In a large saucepan, bring the vinegar to a boil over high heat. Add the vegetables and reduce the
heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer the vegetables for 15 minutes or until they are almost
tender when pierced with the point of a sharp knife.

Remove the pan from the heat and drain the vegetables in a colander. Discard the vinegar. Place
the vegetables in a large bowl. Sauce: To make the sauce, pour the vinegar into a medium sized pan
and stir in the mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, pepperc pan over low heat and stir to dissolve the
sugar. When the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat to moderate and bring

to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and strain the liquid into a medium sized bowl. Discard the
flavourings left in the strainer.

Rinse the pan and return the strained mixture to it. Stir in the flour mixed with the water and
place over moderate heat. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for 2 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and pour sauce over the vegetables. Mix the vegetables with the sauce
with 2 spoons, tossing until coated with sauce.

Spoon into clean, warm, dry jars with screw top lids. Spoon any sauce remaining into the jars, so
they are completely full. Place lids on the jars and half screw into position. Set jars aside
until completely cold. Screw lids on firmly and store the j

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 297 Calories; 1g Fat (2.4% calories from fat); 7g Protein;
65g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

"Steve Wertz" <swertz@cluemail.compost.invalid> wrote in message newsbadnZ5trqQCREqiRVn-
vA@io.com...
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:35:38 -0500 (EST), godsmypilot@webtv.net wrote:
>
> >Hi group, does anyone have a recipe for picalily? Hope I spelled it correctly. It`s similiar to
> >relish but a totally different taste. My parents & granparents made it when I was growing up. It
> >was served as a side dish at dinner. Thanx In Advance. EMAIL WELCOME
>
> Piccalilli.
post #4 of 5

Re: PIC A LILY RECIPE ?

"LIMEYNO1" <mompeagram@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Jim Peagram's Piccalilli Mustard Pickles

Now THIS is Piccalilli!

Charlie
post #5 of 5

Re: PIC A LILY RECIPE ?

You got that right!

"Charles Gifford" <taxicolor@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "LIMEYNO1" <mompeagram@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > * Exported from MasterCook *
> >
> > Jim Peagram's Piccalilli Mustard Pickles
>
> Now THIS is Piccalilli!
>
> Charlie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home