or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

where to buy CO2 cartridges?

post #1 of 22
Well, I've loved the bejeezus out of my new soda siphon. (What an awesome, easy way for a soda
junkie like me to get in 1 liter of water!) My 10 pack of cartridges disappeared in no time. Aside
from cooking stores, where else can one get replacement cartridges? I will, eventually, get back
around to a cooking store, but there must be someplace more convenient?

I tried my local supermarket, and they don't carry them (not even at the customer service counter).
I'm the Boston area, if that helps anyone.

Thanks in advance, Jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright
post #2 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

JLove98905 wrote:
> Well, I've loved the bejeezus out of my new soda siphon. (What an awesome, easy way for a soda
> junkie like me to get in 1 liter of water!) My 10 pack of cartridges disappeared in no time. Aside
> from cooking stores, where else can one get replacement cartridges? I will, eventually, get back
> around to a cooking store, but there must be someplace more convenient?
>
> I tried my local supermarket, and they don't carry them (not even at the customer service
> counter). I'm the Boston area, if that helps anyone.
>
> Thanks in advance, Jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

I use a 10# CO2 tank and regulator. A 20# tank is even cheaper because it costs about the same to
refill it.

You might want to check this out, but the gas might not be food-grade:
<http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=102006&sku=39125> or <http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...duct/standard-
item.jhtml?id=0004326224015a>

Best regards, Bob
post #3 of 22

JLove98905 wrote:

> Well, I've loved the bejeezus out of my new soda siphon. (What an awesome, easy way for a soda
> junkie like me to get in 1 liter of water!) My 10 pack of cartridges disappeared in no time. Aside
> from cooking stores, where else can one get replacement cartridges? I will, eventually, get back
> around to a cooking store, but there must be someplace more convenient?

Try a restaurant or bar supply store.
post #4 of 22

JLove98905 wrote:
> Well, I've loved the bejeezus out of my new soda siphon. (What an awesome, easy way for a soda
> junkie like me to get in 1 liter of water!) My 10 pack of cartridges disappeared in no time. Aside
> from cooking stores, where else can one get replacement cartridges? I will, eventually, get back
> around to a cooking store, but there must be someplace more convenient?

I'm not sure, but if you have a local brewery supply place, they often have bottled CO2 in large
cannisters (ie 5 lb, 10 lb). Welding supply has it, too, but I'm not sure if it's food safe. (Lots
of aquarists use welding CO2 cannisters to fertilize their planted tanks, and the fish and plants
are fine!)

-j.
post #5 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:24:43 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>Nothing Butt Cheese wrote:
>>
>> "JLove98905" <jlove98905@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message news:20031214200616.23008.00000623@mb-
>> m27.aol.com...
>> > Well, I've loved the bejeezus out of my new soda siphon. (What an awesome,
>> easy
>> > way for a soda junkie like me to get in 1 liter of water!) My 10 pack of cartridges disappeared
>> > in no time. Aside from cooking stores, where else
>> can
>> > one get replacement cartridges? I will, eventually, get back around to a cooking store, but
>> > there must be someplace more convenient?
>> >
>> > I tried my local supermarket, and they don't carry them (not even at the customer service
>> > counter). I'm the Boston area, if that helps anyone.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance, Jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright
>> >
>> Try a sporting goods store by the BB Guns.
>
>Uh, prolly a good suggestion, but that is not food grade...

Yep. They can be pretty oily inside. The only place to get food grade cartridges is at a cooking
store (or online). Restaurant supply store, Williams Sonoma (behind the counter), some gourmet food
stores (they sell them here in Austin at Central Market grocery stores).

-sw
post #6 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:21:33 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:

>> Yep. They can be pretty oily inside. The only place to get food grade cartridges is at a cooking
>> store (or online). Restaurant supply store, Williams Sonoma (behind the counter), some gourmet
>> food stores (they sell them here in Austin at Central Market grocery stores).
>
>I posted a link sweetie. :-) Here it is again...:

Yes, dear. I see that. I also pointed out they were available on-line, did I not? Regardless, it
sure sounded like he was asking for local stores.

-sw
post #7 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:29:27 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>Planet K quit carrying them. :-P

Planet K still sells the NO2. Or at least they did 5 weeks ago at the Rundberg location. $16/24.

-sw
post #8 of 22

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:29:27 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net> wrote:
>
> >Planet K quit carrying them. :-P
>
> Planet K still sells the NO2. Or at least they did 5 weeks ago at the Rundberg location. $16/24.

NO2 is for those whipping cream canisters. They do not work in spritzer bottles.
post #9 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:03:57 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:29:27 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Planet K quit carrying them. :-P
>>
>> Planet K still sells the NO2. Or at least they did 5 weeks ago at the Rundberg location. $16/24.
>
>Rundberg? :-) Ok, I had tried the Lamar location, and one of the ones in San Antonio as well...
>They said that carrying "whippets" was a bad thing, so the chain stopped.

Huh? They sell crack pipes + brillo, bongs, scales, and substances specifically for cutting cocaine
and speed. Not to mention the dildos which are illegal in Texas, unless they're for "educational
purposes". NO2 is probably their most legitimate (not for illegal purposes) item they sell.

>creamright carries N2O for less tha $10.00 per box if you buy a case... <G>

Case is what ...24 X 24 = 288? You might as well just order a big bottle (and a few masks) from the
dental supply company :-)

>Problem is, it takes a lot of creativity to figure out what to do with that much whipping
>cream...... ;-D

You tease.

-sw
post #10 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:33:44 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:29:27 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Planet K quit carrying them. :-P
>>
>> Planet K still sells the NO2. Or at least they did 5 weeks ago at the Rundberg location. $16/24.
>
>NO2 is for those whipping cream canisters. They do not work in spritzer bottles.

The subject had changed to NO2 at this point as Planet K would have no use selling O2.

NO2 canisters work just fine in soda bottles. Depends on what your ultimate purpose is, though.

-sw
post #11 of 22

Katra wrote:

> > NO2 is for those whipping cream canisters. They do not work in spritzer bottles.
>
> We know this. :-) We were just discussing gas charges in general... Planet K never did sell Co2

We were? The OP was asking where she could get more cartridges for her soda siphon. My suggestion
was to go to a restaurant or bar supply store. I used to pay obscene prices for them in grocery
stores here until I found them in large quantities in a bar supply store.
post #12 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:37:01 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>There is a reason that head shops and adult book stores carry N2O charges.

I'm gtting my molecules confused. N2O and CO2. Got it :-) Too much amyl nitrate for me.

-sw
post #13 of 22

Re: where to buy CO2 cartridges?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:25:53 -0600, Katra <Katra@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>> Case is what ...24 X 24 = 288? You might as well just order a big bottle (and a few masks) from
>> the dental supply company :-)
>
>They actually sell a case of 24 x 25 for $199.00 with shipping. :-) And, ok, where do you get
>dental N2O LEGALLY???

Legally? I'm not sure. You probably have to have a license of some sort. They use it in race cars,
too, and many high-perf shops will refill large bottles for you, as long as you're of legal age. But
I don't think it's the same stuff used for human consumption.

I can't find any laws/resrictions on it's use or purchase, except for age requirements and
administration (dental) licnses.

Now I'm curious... Could I buy a large bottle of food/anesthetic grade NO2? <shrug>.

-sw
post #14 of 22

"Steve Wertz" <swertz@cluemail.compost.invalid> wrote in message
news:m5GdneBe89VZoEOi4p2dnA@io.com... and administration (dental) licnses.

> Now I'm curious... Could I buy a large bottle of food/anesthetic grade NO2? <shrug>.

I have to assume that was a typo; there's quite a list of differences between nitrous oxide (N2O)
and nitrogen dioxide (NO2).

Bob M.
post #15 of 22

Bob Myers wrote:

> > Now I'm curious... Could I buy a large bottle of food/anesthetic grade NO2? <shrug>.
>
> I have to assume that was a typo; there's quite a list of differences between nitrous oxide (N2O)
> and nitrogen dioxide (NO2).

I tried NO2 in my soda siphon when I was unable to get CO2. It was useless for that purpose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition