or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

post #1 of 33
>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
>the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
>assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use it?
>Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

If it was frozen when you bought it and the package was still cold and icy by the time you got it in
the refrigerator then it's probably okay. However, if it came from the refrigerated meat case and
wasn't frozen when you bought it then I would toss it. At 60-65 degrees for such a long time the
chicken has probably gotten too warm and unsafe.
post #2 of 33

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:08:15 -0800, Robin <robinxjoy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
>the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
>assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use it?
>Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

The USDA says 4 hours between 40-140 is asking for trouble. Which means at least 6 hours in my book.
I'd eat it.

If you have a cat, they know when something is safe or not.

-sw
post #3 of 33

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

Robin saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:08:15 -0800:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
>the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
>assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use it?
>Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Can we say ewwwww? If the chicken was frozen to start with then it'd still be nice and cold and fine
to use. But if it was fresh then it got seriously overheated. Cars are like very big ovens and they
get much hotter than the surrounding air, so there's no telling how warm the chicken got in that
length of time. I wouldn't risk it... but I err on the side of caution with meat because I'm rather
paranoid about germs.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:
post #4 of 33

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:08:15 -0800, Robin <robinxjoy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
>the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
>assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use it?
>Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Inside the car, it was probably a good deal warmer than 60-65F. And the chicken has had a couple of
days at 'fridge temperature for bacteria to flourish (remember, a refrigerator isn't a time
capsule). I'd definitely toss them. OTOH, I might have felt safe cooking the chicken as soon as I
got home. For self, not guests, as another poster has mentioned.
post #5 of 33

Robin wrote:

> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
> the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
> assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Next time you're in a situation like that, bring a cooler of ice in your car. Just a suggestion.
Or even just pick up one of those cheapo styrofoam coolers and a bag of ice. You won't have to
worry, then.

My personal feeling is that, if I was concerned, the chicken wouldn't taste good to me anyway, so
why bother.

nancy
post #6 of 33

Robin wrote:

> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
> the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
> assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
> it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

Odor isn't a reliable indicator.

I'd cook them and enjoy the wonderful bounty of our industrialized agriculture system. Cooking them
will kill everything on them. You might even want to brine them for an hour or two with salt, a
smidge of sugar, garlic powder and maybe a grating of black pepper. The salt will minimize and off-
smells and the brining will make them more moist, bigger coming out of the cooking pan and tastier.

As a general rule, you probably ought to cook chicken within a day of buying it for best flavor
and smell.

Pastorio
post #7 of 33

Robin wrote:
> Would you toss it or use it?

When in doubt, throw it out. Especially if you are not experienced or educated in food sanitation
and safety.

> Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?

No. If it smells bad it *is* bad, but if it smells good, it might still be bad. Salmonella is
odorless ;-)

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:56:33 -0500, Nancy Young
<qwerty@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

>Robin wrote:
>>
>> I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
>> the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees.

>My personal feeling is that, if I was concerned, the chicken wouldn't taste good to me anyway, so
>why bother.

"When in doubt, throw it out" is *such* a good guideline. Even to know enough to ask the question
implies one knows the meat's safety/taste may be compromised. UDSA/FDA/other recommendations may err
on the cautious side, but I don't want to cook a dish and wonder, start to finish, while eating, and
when waking the next day if I should make sure I'm able to dial 911 in the middle of stomach cramps.
Much less that my name is going to be in the paper as host of a Ptomaine Picnic.
post #9 of 33

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:37:57 -0600, Steve Wertz
<swertz@cluemail.compost.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:08:15 -0800, Robin <robinxjoy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
>>the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
>>assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use
>>it? Can you tell by odor alone if its ok?
>
>The USDA says 4 hours between 40-140 is asking for trouble. Which means at least 6 hours in my
>book. I'd eat it.

That should be 2 hours. I was getting carried away with my 4's. Which still means 6 hours
in my book.

-sw
post #10 of 33

stan@temple.edu wrote:

> Robin <robinxjoy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours.

> It should be okay. Smell the chicken. If it went bad, you can sometimes, but not always detect it
> by smell. Be sure to cook the chicken thoroughly. If you're still in doubt, do not use the
> chicken. Next time, do your grocery shopping as your last errand before you head home so you do
> not have to worry about such concerns.

Or take a picnic cooler in the trunk with ice or those frozen blue ice things for your meat,
milk, etc.

gloria p
post #11 of 33

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before goingbad?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:14:10 -0500, "Saerah Bennett"

>Katra wrote in message <3FDD838F.BEFEA492@centurytel.net>...
>>Uh, chooks are chickens... :-) That is what I suggested she feed them to.
>>
>>Chickens eat maggots and carrion, etc. It's VERY hard to poison them with spoiled food! LOL!
>>

>um, isnt it kind of, well, wrong to feed chicken to chickens? or something.

LOL Well, maybe....

OTOH, I knew an African Gray parrot who loved Mrs. Winner's fried chicken. She lived in our office
and frequently got bits of whatever people were eating for lunch that day; if you didn't let her
taste, she drove you crazy sighing heavily every time you took a bite and begging. It's one thing to
be able to ignore those sad eyes your dog makes; it's quite another to ignore a critter that says,
"Give me a bite please, sweetheart" when she wants something. <g> I can still see her sitting on her
perch, gnawing with obvious relish on a drumstick she had clutched in her foot. :-)

Regards, Tracy R.
post #12 of 33

Sqwertz <sqwertz@CLUELESS> writes:

>If you have a cat, they know when something is safe or not.

immune system for raw meat pathogens then do humans. But then again, Sqwertz is a pussy,
and an IDIOT!

post #13 of 33

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

Frogleg croaks:

>I might have felt safe cooking the chicken as soon as I got home. For self, not guests, as another
>poster has mentioned.

Yoose ain't much into self worth, low self esteem, eh? And why can't you write proper sentences, is
not English your native tongue. You write in broken English, like an uneducated WOP, same as that
Pisstory dummy.

post #14 of 33

Robin wrote:

>I purchased chicken thighs at Costco, and wasn't able to get home for about 4-5 hours. It sat in
>the car, local temps are about 60-65 degrees. Got it home, put in fridge, now two days later,
>assuming its still good, need to cook up now before more time goes by. Would you toss it or use it?

Over $3 worth of fercocktah chicken you are actually considering you'd rather risk spending the next
twenty four hours hugging a toilet bowl, puking your guts and ****ting your intestines into granny
knots... you mentally ill M O R O N ! ! !

post #15 of 33

Re: How long can uncooked chicken sit outside fridge before going bad?

"PENMART01" <penmart01@aol.como> wrote in message news:20031215123448.11022.00002742@mb-
m14.aol.com... snip

> Over $3 worth of fercocktah chicken you are actually considering you'd
rather
> risk spending the next twenty four hours hugging a toilet bowl, puking
your
> guts and ****ting your intestines into granny knots... you mentally ill M
O R O
> N ! ! !

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
This is the one, true, to-the-point answer. Janet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition