equal psi = equal rr ?

Gerrit Van Wijk

Guest
The Conti sportcontact 32mm and the Conti travelcontact
47mm are both rated to a max pressure of 6 bar, 86 psi.
Does this mean that at max pressure the rolling ressistance
is roughly the same?

"gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The Conti sportcontact 32mm and the Conti travelcontact
> 47mm are both rated to a max pressure of 6 bar, 86 psi.

> Does this mean that at max pressure the rolling resistance
> is roughly the same?

No, you can't conclude that.

In theory, a broad tyre has a lower rolling resistance than
a narrow one if both are of similar construction and
inflated to the same pressure. The broad tyre will also feel
harder than the narrow.

In this case, the Travel Contact is of heavier
construction that the Sport as well as being wider, so all
bets are off. Okay, if I had to guess the better roller,
I'd pick the Sport.

James Thomson

Thanks for your reply. My gut feeling tells me the narrow
tire has a lower rolling resistance, but it might be a close
call. Only a real life test could prove it. Maybe I can make
a deal with my lbs for a short test.