SB Gear Calculator 'feature'

Kyle.B.H

Guest
I've discovered what appears to be a useful and undocumented
feature of Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator.

When you input a combination of crank length, chainrings,
cassette, etc... and click "Calculate", a new window appears
with the resulting chart.

Now, if you leave that window open, and go back to the first
window and change a variable, perhaps choose another
cassette, and click "Calculate" - the new chart appears in
the other window below the previous calculation results! It
appears that you can do this a number of times, and it will
continue to append the new calculation to the same page as
the old one!

Maybe this was a well known fact - but I sure thought it was
cool when I stumbled upon it. Very useful for comparing
chainring/cassette options.

Sheldon - perhaps you should make a note of this capability
on the main Gear Calculator page?

Kyle

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears

> When you input a combination of crank length, chainrings,
> cassette, etc... and click "Calculate", a new window
> appears with the resulting chart.
>
> Now, if you leave that window open, and go back to the
> first window and change a variable, perhaps choose another
> cassette, and click "Calculate" - the new chart appears in
> the other window below the previous calculation results!
> It appears that you can do this a number of times, and it
> will continue to append the new calculation to the same
> page as the old one!
>
> Maybe this was a well known fact - but I sure thought it
> was cool when I stumbled upon it. Very useful for
> comparing chainring/cassette options.
>
> Sheldon - perhaps you should make a note of this
> capability on the main Gear Calculator page?

Gooolll-leee! I never noticed it would do that!

Not sure it works for all browsers, but I just tried it with
Safari and indeed that's what happens. I must be a genius!

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears

Sheldon "Watch This Space..." Brown +----------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
--+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

In article <[email protected]>,
Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not sure it works for all browsers, but I just tried
>it with Safari and indeed that's what happens. I must
>be a genius!

I'll say. Leave it to you to put a slide rule on the WWW.

Eric, who suspect it's more accurate than the old Win95
calculator...

--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 06:13:28 +0200, "James Thomson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Not sure it works for all browsers, but I just tried it
>> with Safari and indeed that's what happens. I must be a
>> genius! http://sheldonbrown.com/gears
>
>It also works in IE6. I'd always assumed it was
>intentional.

In Opera it replaces the contents of the results window with
the new results. Works great in Mozilla, though. I could
swear it didn't work in Mozilla...I printed a bunch of
charts a couple weeks ago using Mozilla, but I must have
closed the window each time.

Cool. Now I can waste more paper per hour on gear charts
that I'll never get around to reading or implementing...
--
Rick Onanian

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Kyle.B.H wrote:
>
> > I've discovered what appears to be a useful and
> > undocumented feature of Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/gears
>
> > When you input a combination of crank length,
> > chainrings, cassette, etc... and click "Calculate", a
> > new window appears with the resulting chart.
> >
> > Now, if you leave that window open, and go back to the
> > first window and change a variable, perhaps choose
> > another cassette, and click "Calculate" - the new chart
> > appears in the other window below the previous
> > calculation results! It appears that you can do this a
> > number of times, and it will continue to append the new
> > calculation to the same page as the old one!
> >
> > Maybe this was a well known fact - but I sure thought it
> > was cool when I stumbled upon it. Very useful for
> > comparing chainring/cassette options.
> >
> > Sheldon - perhaps you should make a note of this
> > capability on the main Gear Calculator page?
>
> Gooolll-leee! I never noticed it would do that!
>
> Not sure it works for all browsers, but I just tried
> it with Safari and indeed that's what happens. I must
> be a genius!
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/gears

Works that way in Netscape 7.1

Life is Good! Jeff