corsican walks

Dave Small

Guest
I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand knowledge
would be ideal.

Dave.

On 1/4/04 10:16 pm, in article [email protected],
"Dave Small" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
> Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand
> knowledge would be ideal.

Not been there myself but I have just bought the Cicerone
Guide of Long and Short walks in Corsica which looks
quite good.

--
Andy Howell Birmingham, UK

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:16:34 +0100, "Dave Small"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
>Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand knowledge
>would be ideal.

Assuming you understand some French, have a lurk in
alt.fr.montagne where there are some knowledgeable folk.

And please share the knowledge and if possible a TR here
for non-French speakers once you get back. Corsica's been
on my hit-list as well, having recently completed the
Pyrenees coast-to-coast.

--
All the best David Millen Xativa, Valencia please reply in
group if you have to email me, remove the obvious:

Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
>Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand knowledge
>would be ideal.

Try and get up to Corté, the walks and climbs around there
are fabulous and you could take a stroll up to Monte
Rotondo. I did some of my 'Alpiniste Militaire' training
around there and I have fond memories of climbing / walking
/ skiing above the clouds and generally having a good time.
I was based for a year in the barracks below the town so I
am biased.

In the event that you get there, go down to the barracks
and hook a left into the area opposite the guard house.
There you will see many interesting sights such as an
underground prison for wayward Legionnaires and various
obstacle courses (it is a nice walk through Domaine St
Jean). The guy in charge of the prison during the 70's /
80's, was English ('Cpl Chef' Dickman) [would never speak
to me in English even though I outranked him]. He returned
to France to his retirement and subsequent pension and his
head was found in a dustbin at Marseille's old port, it
seemed that he had been not forgotten by the former
denizens of his little oubliette. The old barracks in the
town (vacated by the Legion in the 70's) is an impressive
site and dominates the area, Place Paoli is a good place
for a Pizza and a beer.

Bonifaccio and Calvi are other places that I know and that
are handy for a good walk and a good social life, do not go
to Calvi if you are averse to meeting Legion paras!!

The Island itself is wonderful, the people are lovely and
there are so many brilliant places to see that your breath
should be taken away at times.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, you could be climbing
amongst the snow and swimming in the Med, all on the same
day (at this time of year).

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 12:11:36 +0200, David Millen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Assuming you understand some French, have a lurk in
>alt.fr.montagne where there are some knowledgeable folk.

True.

>And please share the knowledge and if possible a TR here
>for non-French speakers once you get back. Corsica's been
>on my hit-list as well, having recently completed the
>Pyrenees coast-to-coast.

I could hunt out some info and translate it if you want, I
spent a lot of my formative years tramping the highways and
byways of Corsica (prior to Uni. beer gut, kids etc.).

Linguistically speaking you should be ok with either French
or Italian over there.

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

> a TR here for non-French speakers once you get back.
> Corsica's been on my hit-list as well, having recently
> completed the Pyrenees coast-to-coast.

I'd be interested to see a tr for your Pyreneean c2c, or a
pointer to a website if you've put one up ?

--
Boo

On 4/4/04 12:32 am, in article [email protected], "Boo"
<boo@spam_me_no_spam.net> wrote:

>> a TR here for non-French speakers once you get back.
>> Corsica's been on my hit-list as well, having recently
>> completed the Pyrenees coast-to-coast.
>
> I'd be interested to see a tr for your Pyreneean c2c, or a
> pointer to a website if you've put one up ?

The Pyrenean coast to coast is well worth considering. We're
talking the GR10 here (se Cicerone guide) but there is a
higher route that shadows it which is quite exciting.

--
Andy Howell Birmingham, UK

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 00:32:36 +0100, Boo <boo@spam_me_no_spam.net>
wrote:
>I'd be interested to see a tr for your Pyreneean c2c, or a
>pointer to a website if you've put one up ?
I must confess to having done the c2c over a period of
years, a week or 2 at a time, because of constraints on my
free time; each year we picked up at the exact point we'd
previously reached. Because of this, and my laziness and
relative non-computerishness, there's no website and no TR.
However, anyone who wants to know more about a particular
section/area is more than welcome to ask, and I'll answer as
well as I can, either in-group, or by email if it becomes
too boringly specific for the group.

I developed a preference for the GR11 (the Spanish version
of the GR10) and the HRP (which stays as high as it can,
ignoring borders), but Francophiles will think differently.
I would certainly invest in all three routebooks before
setting out on any serious attempt to complete the c2c.

I'm back in one of my favourite bits in mid-June, east of
Sant Maurici and west of Andorra. Wave at the UK-registered
blue V8 LandRover!

--

"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave Small wrote
>
> > I am looking for any information on walks on the island
> > of Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand
> > knowledge would be ideal.
>
> u.r.w Corsica threads ...
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N25414BE7
>
> Wonderful place. Drop me an email if this isn't enough.
>
> Chris

I live in Corsica and the following could be helpful:
- Landscapes of Corsica by Noel Rochford, A Sunflower
Countryside book
- Walks in Corsica, in the series "Footpaths of Europe"
published by Robertson McCarta If you read French:
- Ballades nature en Corse published by the Parc Naturel
Régional de Corse, and easily available when you get here.
- Randonnée Découverte, Corse entre Mer et Montagne, also
published by the Parc Naturel. The Parc Naturel Régional,
2 rue Major Lambroschini, 20000 Ajaccio, will also
probably supply you with leaflets or look at their
website: www.parc-naturel-corse.com.

Are you fixed for accommodation? Have a look at my website
too, it gives details of a house up in a mountain village,
ideal for a walking holiday: www.corsicaconnect.com.

If there is any other info you need, just let me know. All
the best for your stay in Corsica Ros