or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Health and medical › How much do the uterus, cervix and ovaries weigh?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much do the uterus, cervix and ovaries weigh?

post #1 of 4
If a woman undergoes a full hysterectomy, how much weight is removed from her body? I cannot find
this information anywhere. Also I expect intact uterine weight will vary by cycle time. With respect
to this, does this extra fluid accumulate above and beyond what is normally in the body? Thanks for
any information.
post #2 of 4

Re: How much do the uterus, cervix and ovaries weigh?

MSEagan writes:

> If a woman undergoes a full hysterectomy, how much weight is removed from her body? I cannot find
> this information anywhere.

In a woman who has never had children, about the weight of her closed fist, I think. If she has had
children, a little bit more. Barely enough to show on a good scale.

I believe the weight of the uterus changes only slightly over the course of menstrual cycles. The
lining does build up a lot, but it's still only a matter of grams. The internal volume of the uterus
is quite small, particularly in nulliparous women.

post #3 of 4

Re: How much do the uterus, cervix and ovaries weigh?

In article <vifjovsof9c188udip8v3cffpidp8ejrm9@4ax.com>,
Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>MSEagan writes:
>
>> If a woman undergoes a full hysterectomy, how much weight is removed from her body? I cannot find
>> this information anywhere.
>
>In a woman who has never had children, about the weight of her closed fist, I think.

Does this differ significantly from the weight of her open hand?

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)
post #4 of 4

David Wright writes:

> Does this differ significantly from the weight of her open hand?

No, I was just thinking of both size and weight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health and medical