or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

post #1 of 25
I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to something like 500 deg,
then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe
for this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here? Thanks to all and have a happy new
year, Kathy
post #2 of 25

Re: Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather just
use a gun it would be much faster.

Over40pirate wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to something like 500
> deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the
> recipe for this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here? Thanks to all and have a
> happy new year, Kathy
post #3 of 25

Over40pirate wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to something like 500
> deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the
> recipe for this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here? Thanks to all and have a
> happy new year, Kathy
post #4 of 25

Over40pirate wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to something like 500
> deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the
> recipe for this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here? Thanks to all and have a
> happy new year, Kathy

That's the way I usually prepare my (bone in) prime rib. Preheat oven to 500F. Stud the roast with
garlic, sprinkle well with black pepper and a little salt. I also pat on a small amount of thyme on
it. Pop it in a roasting pan and into the oven. Turn down the heat to 375F and roast for one hour.
Turn the oven off and don't open the door. Let it sit in the hot oven for 2 hours. Turn it back on
at 375F and roast about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before slicing. The
roast comes out graduated from nearly well done on the ends to medium-rare in the middle.

Jill
post #5 of 25

"Over40pirate" <over40pirate@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven
> something like 500 deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the
oven
> off, for a set length of time. I saw the recipe for this, but can't
remember
> the times, and temp. Any help here? Thanks to all and have a happy new year, Kathy

Details for this can be found here:
http://www.melindalee.com/recipearch...124&item_id=93
post #6 of 25

bistoury@earthlink.net wrote:

> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather just
> use a gun it would be much faster.

Wouldn't you rather troll somewhere else, you're boring and nothing new. Yawn city.

nancy
post #7 of 25

Re: Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

bistoury@earthlink.net wrote:

> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather just
> use a gun it would be much faster.

Tired of trolling in sci.med.cardiology already? Or are you branching out?

Pastorio

> Over40pirate wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to something like 500
>> deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw the
>> recipe for this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here? Thanks to all and have a
>> happy new year, Kathy
post #8 of 25

<bistoury@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather just
> use a gun it would be much faster.

Very helpful advise.

I would suggest you try it on yourself first.

Dimitri
post #9 of 25

Re: Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

No just have a few questions. There won't be any need for Cardiology soon.

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> bistoury@earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather just
>> use a gun it would be much faster.
>

> Tired of trolling in sci.med.cardiology already? Or are you branching out?
>
> Pastorio
>
>> Over40pirate wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a recipe for cooking prime rib, by pre heating the oven to something like 500
>>> deg, then putting the prime rib in, and turning the oven off, for a set length of time. I saw
>>> the recipe for this, but can't remember the times, and temp. Any help here? Thanks to all and
>>> have a happy new year, Kathy

post #10 of 25

> I still fail to understand why anyone would cook a standing rib roast with any method other than
> simply measuring the internal temperature.
>
> There really isn't a need (that I can see) to use esoteric calculations
when
> all you need to do is stick a thermometer in it.

Because the slower methods turn out variably-done meat, from well done on the outsides and edges to
more rare on the inside.

The high temp method (500 degree oven, 5 minutes per pound) yields a uniformly medium rare roast
from about one-quarter inch inside the edges to the center. That's why.

pavane
post #11 of 25

Re: Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

I believe in gun control and don't purchase or have firearms of anykind nor do my friends or family.
I was just suggestion this as a solution for thouse such as yourself who like carnage.

Dimiri wrote:

> <bistoury@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather just
>>use a gun it would be much faster.
>

> Very helpful advise.
>
> I would suggest you try it on yourself first.
>
> Dimitri
post #12 of 25

Re: Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

bistoury@earthlink.net wrote:
> No just have a few questions. There won't be any need for Cardiology soon.

You don't have questions, you spout vegetarian platitudes upon which you are hanging the beef scare
hat. I know one way to make you go away. Killfile.

Jill

> Bob Pastorio wrote:
>
>> bistoury@earthlink.net wrote:
>>
>>> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather
>>> just use a gun it would be much faster.
>>

>> Tired of trolling in sci.med.cardiology already? Or are you branching out?
>>
>> Pastorio

post #13 of 25

Re: Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

<PLONK>

--
read and post daily, it works! rosie

as I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
.............................andrew carnegie

> No just have a few questions. There won't be any need for
Cardiology soon.

> Bob Pastorio wrote:
>
> > bistoury@earthlink.net wrote:
> >
> >> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow
disease.
> >> Wouldn't you rather just use a gun it would be much faster.
> >

> > Tired of trolling in sci.med.cardiology already? Or are you
branching out?

> > Pastorio

post #14 of 25

pavane wrote:

>>I still fail to understand why anyone would cook a standing rib roast with any method other than
>>simply measuring the internal temperature.

There are several variables that will affect the finished result that just measuring the temp won't
address. If the meat went in very cold, it will take a longer time for the center to get to temp.
That means that the outside will be more cooked than if the meat were warmer to begin with. If the
meat is cooked at a low temperature, the outside will be less cooked and more moist when the center
is to temp. Cooking the meat at high temp means that the outside will be more cooked and more of the
juices in the center will migrate to the surface and end up evaporating from the surface with the
excess dripping into the pan.

>>There really isn't a need (that I can see) to use esoteric calculations when all you need to do is
>>stick a thermometer in it.

I agree about the esoteric calculations, but not about *just* relying on the thermometer without
taking into account anything else.

> Because the slower methods turn out variably-done meat, from well done on the outsides and edges
> to more rare on the inside.
>
> The high temp method (500 degree oven, 5 minutes per pound) yields a uniformly medium rare roast
> from about one-quarter inch inside the edges to the center. That's why.

Well, sorta. Slow-cook methods will provide that medium-rare roast as well with rather a greater
yield. Medium-rare is defined as having a browned outside and a cool red center. Medium is brown
outside and warm pink center.

In my restaurants, we roasted in convection and conventional ovens as well as roaster-holders. We
tested a wide variety of temperature combinations beginning with the temp of the meat going in and
fixed as well as varying temperatures during the cook.

We found the best results (pretty much what you describe above) coming from a consistent low temp
roast, varying with the ovens used. We cooked at 220F in the roaster-holders to a center temp of
120F (rare) and switched to 142F to hold and finish over several hours. Conventional ovens were set
to different temps depending on whether we used a 109 (bone-in) or 112 (boneless) rib. We cooked
between 220 and 250 to 120 center. Convections were set to 205.

We tried to let our ribs sit at room temp for 2 hours before cooking, but that wasn't always
possible. Of all the methods we tested, the constant low-temp gave us the best yield; a much higher
ratio of finished to raw material and the least pan juice. Both of those indices mean that more
moisture remains in the meat.

Pastorio
post #15 of 25

Re: Cooking prime rib, with turning oven off to cook

bistoury@earthlink.net wrote:

> I believe in gun control and don't purchase or have firearms of anykind nor do my friends or
> family. I was just suggestion this as a solution for thouse such as yourself who like carnage.

You misspelled "carne."

Pastorio

> Dimiri wrote:
>
>> <bistoury@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Why would you eat something that is directly related to Mad-Cow disease. Wouldn't you rather
>>> just use a gun it would be much faster.
>>
>> Very helpful advise.
>>
>> I would suggest you try it on yourself first.
>>
>> Dimitri
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition