Broken spokes

kyra

New Member
Aug 23, 2003
Hi all,

On my past 2 rides, I have broken one spoke on my rear wheel taking off from a set of lights. On the first breakage, I was 200metres from my car, so I kept riding... LBS fixed the wheel and my next ride same thing happened from the lights. The wheel is back in for repair and looks like getting a rebuild. My bike is a Giant OCR2 and is less than 6 mths old with just under 1900kms on it... I weigh 90kgs, but I always check tyre pressures before I go out... Am I too heavy for the wheels??

Any help is appreciated,

Bill

"kyra" wrote:

> On my past 2 rides, I have broken one spoke on my rear
> wheel taking off from a set of lights. On the first
> breakage, I was 200metres from my car, so I kept riding...
> LBS fixed the wheel and my next ride same thing happened
> from the lights. The wheel is back in for repair and looks
> like getting a rebuild. My bike is a Giant OCR2 and is
> less than 6 mths old with just under 1900kms on it... I
> weigh 90kgs, but I always check tyre pressures before I go
> out... Am I too heavy for the wheels??

If you are too heavy for your wheels at 90 kg, then they're
poorly built.

It's likely your wheels have been laced and (under)
tensioned by machine. This seems to be the norm these days,
and resultant spoke breakages are all too common.

If you get the rear wheel rebuilt by a competent wheel-
builder, you're unlikely to have any further problems for
many 10's of thousands of kilometres - even if you were to
load the bike up with panniers as well.

John

"kyra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> On my past 2 rides, I have broken one spoke on my rear
> wheel taking off from a set of lights. On the first
> breakage, I was 200metres from my car, so I kept riding...
> LBS fixed the wheel and my next ride same thing happened
> from the lights. The wheel is back in for repair and looks
> like getting a rebuild. My bike is a Giant OCR2 and is
> less than 6 mths old with just under 1900kms on it... I
> weigh 90kgs, but I always check tyre pressures before I go
> out... Am I too heavy for the wheels??
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>
> Bill
>

> --

No excuse for breaking spokes here, they should stand up to
a 90kg rider without a problem.

Correctly, the OCR2 wheel should go back to the shop for
correct tensioning. I have only had problems with spoke
failure on bought wheels which I have not tensioned and
stress relieved personally.

Kevin

Greetings, No, the problem is the wheels themselves, I had
the same problem with a Shogun Metro hybrid. The wheels are
built to a basic standard and not designed to last. Your
best bet is to have the wheels rebuilt with stainless steel
spokes, will cost you a bit, but worth it. I have not
twanged a spoke in years. Your budget bottom bracket is also
likely to die a horrible death, and so will other items of
running gear such as the cluster. When you have finished,
you will have a half-decent bike. Regards, Ray.

kyra wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>On my past 2 rides, I have broken one spoke on my rear
>wheel taking off from a set of lights. On the first
>breakage, I was 200metres from my car, so I kept riding...
>LBS fixed the wheel and my next ride same thing happened
>from the lights. The wheel is back in for repair and looks
>like getting a rebuild. My bike is a Giant OCR2 and is less
>than 6 mths old with just under 1900kms on it... I weigh
>90kgs, but I always check tyre pressures before I go out...
>Am I too heavy for the wheels??
>
>Any help is appreciated,
>
>Bill
>

>--

As Ray mentions, worth getting (both) wheels rebuilt with quality (DT or other) spokes.

If its happening at the hub end, it may also be poor fit into the hole-face of the hub. I used to do one a month on a crappy STX-RC rear on my mtb commuter

The pulling off from the ights scenario is probably due to the 'torqueing windup' that occurs due to the power transfer from the drive-side of the hub to the non-drive side. the non-drive side 'catches' up and gets twisted placing huge forces on hub/spokes (this is all incremental, mind).
Is there any consistency of spoke location/side?

Love to see a 'wheel-building-machine'!
Have images of 'Go-Gadget' contraption with telescopic arms flying all over the place :D