or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If everyone would drive GEO metros

post #1 of 165
>should everyone drive a GEO Metro or should everyone drive an SUV?

And if everyone drives a bicycle instead of a car, do we ban tandems?
post #2 of 165

Re: If everyone would drive GEO metros

Timberwoof wrote:

> In article <RWkLb.1723$v16.177@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "Paul"
> <die_LLB's@slower_traffic_get_to_the_right.com> wrote:
>

>>"Don Quijote" <donquijote1111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>It these people who drive the SUVs that scare the hell out of me.
>>
>>You just hit on the source of the problem with this statement. Its not the vehicle, its the idiot
>>behind the wheel that is the problem.
>

> But the question is still the same... Do we want more stringent licensing requiements? Do we want
> to enforce a truck license for anyone driving anything over three tons?

yes and yes, in my opinion.

nate

--
go dry to reply. http://www.toad.net/~njnagel
post #3 of 165

Timberwoof wrote:

> But the question is still the same... Do we want more stringent licensing requiements? Do we want
> to enforce a truck license for anyone driving anything over three tons?

Sure. You think you're competent to drive a big vehicle? Prove it.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]
post #4 of 165

"Timberwoof" <timberwoof@stimpberawoofm.com> wrote in message
> In article <RWkLb.1723$v16.177@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "Paul"
> <die_LLB's@slower_traffic_get_to_the_right.com> wrote:
>
> > "Don Quijote" <donquijote1111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > It these people who drive the SUVs that scare the hell out of me.
> >
> > You just hit on the source of the problem with this statement. Its not
the
> > vehicle, its the idiot behind the wheel that is the problem.
>
> But the question is still the same... Do we want more stringent licensing requiements? Do we want
> to enforce a truck license for anyone driving anything over three tons?

Ummmmmm ... vehicles have gotten smaller over the years. It's the 4200 lbs vehicles that are the
normal ones.

People who drive those tin foil boxes should have much higher insurance payments to pay their
medical bills every time they wrap themselves around a twig.

C.Q.C.
post #5 of 165

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:23:59 -0700, Mike Helm <mhelm@not.known> wrote:
>On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:52:08 GMT, "herman" <no@way.jose>
>>Too many soccer moms can't use their mirrors properly to see if there are cars or motorcycles they
>>are running over.
>>
>Simple - if they can't drive safely, they can support public transportation by getting a bus pass
>or they can support private enterprise by calling a cab.

Eggs Zactley! Blaming the vehicle for the driving habits of the owner is just plain stupid.....but
that's how we do it in the USA these days.
post #6 of 165

"Simon Jester" <sjester911@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Eggs Zactley! Blaming the vehicle for the driving habits of the owner is just plain stupid.....but
> that's how we do it in the USA these days.

When I was a kid, everybody drove 4000-5000 pound steel boats that had plenty of power and handled
far worse than modern SUVs, and people didn't seem unusually reckless to me. The main problem is,
people fail to adjust their driving habits according to the type of vehicle they're driving. I know
enough not to drive my boss's Chevy Blazer the way I do my Dodge Stealth, because the damn thing
handles like a pig and would flip over.

- Logic316us@SPAM-ME-NOThotmail.com

"Conservative: a statesman who is enamoured of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal,
who wishes to replace them with others."
post #7 of 165

Re: If everyone would drive GEO metros

"Simon Jester" <sjester911@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:23:59 -0700, Mike Helm <mhelm@not.known> wrote:
> >On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:52:08 GMT, "herman" <no@way.jose>
> >>Too many soccer moms can't use their mirrors properly to see if there
are
> >>cars or motorcycles they are running over.
> >>
> >Simple - if they can't drive safely, they can support public transportation by getting a bus pass
> >or they can support private enterprise by calling a cab.
>
> Eggs Zactley! Blaming the vehicle for the driving habits of the owner is just plain stupid.....but
> that's how we do it in the USA these days.

I think that's a major problem in the US these days.

Everyone keeps talking about how bad people drive, but nothing is ever really done about it. Speed
traps are cash cows, but what about other laws? When was the last time a soccer mom was given a
ticket for not staying in her lane, or some other potentially lethal but seemingly innocuous act?

C.Q.C.
post #8 of 165

"Paul" <die_LLB's@slower_traffic_get_to_the_right.com> wrote in message

> "Don Quijote" <donquijote1111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > It these people who drive the SUVs that scare the hell out of me.
>
> You just hit on the source of the problem with this statement. Its not the vehicle, its the idiot
> behind the wheel that is the problem.

A great proportion of accidents are people who drive fairly well, that make mistakes.
i.e. almost no-one is immune from a crash.
post #9 of 165

Re: If everyone would drive GEO metros

In article <20040108203000.13822.00002450@mb-m10.aol.com>,
topcounsel@aol.compudyne (TopCounsel) wrote:

> >should everyone drive a GEO Metro or should everyone drive an SUV?
>
> And if everyone drives a bicycle instead of a car, do we ban tandems?

No, just recumbents....

post #10 of 165

> "Jeff Strickland" <beerman@yahoo.com> wrote

> True. Kudos for the Liberty and similar models. But shame on the big behemoths. The issue here is
> SAFETY and they are a THREAT TO SMALLER VEHICLES, and, besides, since you claim that they are
> TRUCKS they should be required a TRUCK LICENSE and their drivers be TRAINED like TRUCK DRIVERS and
> the SUVs should be driven the way the TRUCKS do, not in the RECKLESS, AGGRESSIVE, PREDATORY way
> they zigzag around us. It's a jungle out there, boy...

C'mon folks, this SUV thing is a dying issue. As we speak, SUVs are starting to go out of style in
favor of all-wheel drive hatchback cars. I guarantee that 10 years from now, driving around in a
behemoth SUV is going to look just as ridiculous and uncool as driving around in a 1970's
"pimpmobile" boat car today.

- Logic316us@SPAM-ME-NOThotmail.com

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 9/22/97
post #11 of 165

Re: If everyone would drive GEO metros

> I might've said something like that, before the world's smallest
pick-up
> truck crushed my Honda Civic as I was sitting at a red light. At that
point,
> my sobriety and driving skills were useless. Sometime after my future wife and I rode the
> ambulance strapped in two stretchers, we decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler. I'm sure it will not be
> destroyed in an under 10 MPH crash!
>
> Reassembler

No frickin' way. I was rear-ended while the car I was driving at the time was completely stopped.
The car that hit me was going at least 35MPH at time of impact (I was stopped in traffic on the
highway, not at a stop light), and the whole back end of my car basically ceased to exist
(everything behind the rear window was gone). I was driving a Mitsu. Galant at the time which is
no more crash-worthy than a Honda Civic. I wasn't wearing a seat belt, and suffered no injury at
all. Either the pick-up that hit you was travelling at a high rate of speed, or you were not
njured. -Dave
post #12 of 165

Re: If everyone would drive GEO metros

> There are lots of them; Ford, Mercury, Buick, Cadillac all have large sedans still on the market.

Too bad there's nothing worth buying, though. -Dave
post #13 of 165

Re: If everyone would drive GEO metros

> I might've said something like that, before the world's smallest pick-up truck crushed my Honda
> Civic as I was sitting at a red light. At that point, my sobriety and driving skills were
> useless. Sometime after my future wife and I rode the ambulance strapped in two stretchers, we
> decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler. I'm sure it will not be destroyed in an under 10 MPH crash!

If you really wanted to maximize your safety you would have bought a minivan, Camry, or Accord.

Ref: http://www.aceee.org/pubs/t021full.pdf

I suspect, overall, your Civic was safer than the Wrangler.

Chris Neary diabloridr@comcast.net
post #14 of 165

Re: If everyone would drive GEO metros

>C'mon folks, this SUV thing is a dying issue. As we speak, SUVs are starting to go out of style in
>favor of all-wheel drive hatchback cars. I guarantee that 10 years from now, driving around in a
>behemoth SUV is going to look just as ridiculous and uncool as driving around in a 1970's
>"pimpmobile" boat car today.

There is an element of truth to this. Heard yesterday that last year sales of car-based SUVs
surpassed those of truck-based SUVs.

Chris Neary diabloridr@comcast.net
post #15 of 165

> > Only the folks who expect to crash, and probably do, believe that bigger is safer. I rather be
> > in a car that can avoid an accident that in a big one that can't but is suppose to be safer.
> > -------------
> > Alex
>
> **** happens. Though are accidents really accidents, or are they the result of reckless driving?

Don't you drive?

Sometimes it's a result of reckless driving ... I was in the hospital for the better part of a year
because 2 kids decided to race each other down the road. Sometimes it's because the person is simply
stupid and ignores traffic signals. Sometimes it's a legitimate accident ... the driver doesn't see
a stop sign, or your front brake line ruptures as you're trying to slow down.

How many times have you bumped your head, or spilled your coffee? Did you ever do it on purpose?

C.Q.C.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling