antioxidant system / affective disorders

Doe

Guest
<<snip>> antioxidant system is impaired during a mood
episode in patients with affective disorders <<snip>>

Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004 Mar;19(2):89-95. Related
Articles, Links

Antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative stress in
affective disorders.

Erkan Ozcan M, Gulec M, Ozerol E, Polat R, Akyol O.

Departments of Psychiatry; Biochemistry, Inonu University
Medical School, Malatya, Turkey.

Recent data from several reports indicate that free radicals
are involved in the biochemical mechanisms underlying
neuropsychiatric disorders in human. The results of several
reports suggest that lower antioxidant defences against
lipid peroxidation exist in patients with depression and
that there is a therapeutic benefit from antioxidant
supplementation in unstable manic-depressive patients. We
investigated the antioxidant enzyme status and the indices
of oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation end products in
erythrocytes from patients with affective disorder. For this
purpose, we measured superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione
peroxidase (GSH-Px) and catalase (CAT) activities, as well
as malondialdehyde (MDA) and nitric oxide (NO) levels in
patients with affective disorders (n=30) in both pre- and
post-treatment periods, and in a control group (n=21). CAT
activities were significantly decreased in both pre-, and
post-treatment periods in patients compared to the control
group. GSH-Px activity in the pre-treatment period in the
patients was significantly lower than both post-treatment
patient and control groups. MDA levels were increased in
both pre-, and post-treatment patient groups compared to the
control group. NO level was lower in the pre-treatment
patient group than in the control group. There were
statistically significant correlations between SOD and MDA,
and SOD and NO in the pre-treatment patient and control
groups. Because the overall study sample was small, and the
post-treatment patient group was even smaller, it can
tentatively be suggested that the antioxidant system is
impaired during a mood episode in patients with affective
disorders, normalizing at the end of the episode.

PMID: 15076017 [PubMed - in process]

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

On 13 Apr 2004 15:29:50 GMT, [email protected] (doe) wrote:

><<snip>> antioxidant system is impaired during a mood
>episode in patients with affective disorders <<snip>>
>

>Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004 Mar;19(2):89-95. Related
>Articles, Links
>

>Antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative stress in
>affective disorders.
>
>Erkan Ozcan M, Gulec M, Ozerol E, Polat R, Akyol O.
>
>Departments of Psychiatry; Biochemistry, Inonu University
>Medical School, Malatya, Turkey.
>
>Recent data from several reports indicate that free
>radicals are involved in the biochemical mechanisms
>underlying neuropsychiatric disorders in human. The results
>of several reports suggest that lower antioxidant defences
>against lipid peroxidation exist in patients with
>depression and that there is a therapeutic benefit from
>antioxidant supplementation in unstable manic-depressive
>patients. We investigated the antioxidant enzyme status and
>the indices of oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation end
>products in erythrocytes from patients with affective
>disorder. For this purpose, we measured superoxide
>dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) and
>catalase (CAT) activities, as well as malondialdehyde (MDA)
>and nitric oxide (NO) levels in patients with affective
>disorders (n=30) in both pre- and post-treatment periods,
>and in a control group (n=21). CAT activities were
>significantly decreased in both pre-, and post-treatment
>periods in patients compared to the control group. GSH-Px
>activity in the pre-treatment period in the patients was
>significantly lower than both post-treatment patient and
>control groups. MDA levels were increased in both pre-, and
>post-treatment patient groups compared to the control
>group. NO level was lower in the pre-treatment patient
>group than in the control group. There were statistically
>significant correlations between SOD and MDA, and SOD and
>NO in the pre-treatment patient and control groups. Because
>the overall study sample was small, and the post-treatment
>patient group was even smaller, it can tentatively be
>suggested that the antioxidant system is impaired during a
>mood episode in patients with affective disorders,
>normalizing at the end of the episode.
>
>PMID: 15076017 [PubMed - in process]

Well, in 1985 I first suggested depression may result from
low DHEA. So, when I read your post, I immediately looked up
the connection, if any, of these enzymes with DHEA. Well,
guess what; this group has already looked at and found a
connection of DHEA with these enzymes. Now, they connect a
decline in these enzymes with depression. I was pleased.

James Michael Howard www.anthropogeny.com