or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Re-using cinnamon sticks?

post #1 of 6
Can anyone tell me how to get the best use of stick cinnamon?

If I have used it for infusing, can I dry it and re-use it again?

And for that matter, how long does one leave it in contact with the foodstuffs one wishes to infuse?

How long for liquid? (I making custard, and popped some in for infusion while cooking it)

How long for dry materials, like sugar?

Curious, and wanting to explore the full potential of stick cinnamon....

Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario
post #2 of 6

Re: Re-using cinnamon sticks?

> A mukluk asked:
>
>Can anyone tell me how to get the best use of stick cinnamon?
>
>If I have used it for infusing, can I dry it and re-use it again?
>
>And for that matter, how long does one leave it in contact with the foodstuffs one wishes
>to infuse?
>
>How long for liquid? (I making custard, and popped some in for infusion while cooking it)
>
>How long for dry materials, like sugar?
>
>Curious, and wanting to explore the full potential of stick cinnamon....
>
>Shirley Hicks

Cinnamon sticks are primarily cinnamon in a decorative form, for presentation/effect... more an
extravagance.

post #3 of 6

Re: Re-using cinnamon sticks?

You can keep the cinnamon stick in the sugar as long as you want, even until the sugar is
all used up.

In liquids however, take it out as soon as you're done infusing. It will turn bitter otherwise.
Don't reuse it once it's been in any kind of liquid for the same reason.

If you want to you can break the stick in half and use one half at a time.

Roberta

"A mukluk wearing troll" <for.arts.sake@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to get the best use of stick cinnamon?
>
> If I have used it for infusing, can I dry it and re-use it again?
>
> And for that matter, how long does one leave it in contact with the foodstuffs one wishes
> to infuse?
>
> How long for liquid? (I making custard, and popped some in for infusion while cooking it)
>
> How long for dry materials, like sugar?
>
> Curious, and wanting to explore the full potential of stick cinnamon....
>
> Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario
post #4 of 6

Re: Re-using cinnamon sticks?

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:25:07 -0500, A mukluk wearing troll
<for.arts.sake@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how to get the best use of stick cinnamon?
>
>If I have used it for infusing, can I dry it and re-use it again?

I understand some *very* thrifty people do this with tea bags. :-)

No, don't re-use the cinnamon. Use half a stick or less instead.

>And for that matter, how long does one leave it in contact with the foodstuffs one wishes
>to infuse?

As long as it takes to provide the flavor you want. Or as the recipe directs.
post #5 of 6

Re: Re-using cinnamon sticks?

"A mukluk wearing troll" <for.arts.sake@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to get the best use of stick cinnamon?
>
> If I have used it for infusing, can I dry it and re-use it again?
>
> And for that matter, how long does one leave it in contact with the foodstuffs one wishes
> to infuse?
>
> How long for liquid? (I making custard, and popped some in for infusion while cooking it)
>
> How long for dry materials, like sugar?
>
> Curious, and wanting to explore the full potential of stick cinnamon....
>
> Shirley Hicks Toronto, Ontario

The idea is to infuse the flavor the cinnamon into dish you are preparing. Once you've used the
cinnamon for that purpose, it's time to discard it.

Fred The Good Gourmet http://www.thegoodgourmet.com
post #6 of 6

Re: Re-using cinnamon sticks?

"PENMART01" <penmart01@aol.como> wrote in message
> > A mukluk asked:
> >
> >Can anyone tell me how to get the best use of stick cinnamon?
> >
> >If I have used it for infusing, can I dry it and re-use it again?
> >
> >And for that matter, how long does one leave it in contact with the foodstuffs one wishes to
> >infuse?
> >
> >How long for liquid? (I making custard, and popped some in for infusion while cooking it)
> >
> >How long for dry materials, like sugar?
> >
> >Curious, and wanting to explore the full potential of stick cinnamon....
> >
> >Shirley Hicks
>
> Cinnamon sticks are primarily cinnamon in a decorative form, for presentation/effect... more an
> extravagance.

Obviously, one can substitute ground cinnamon for stick cinnamon by experimenting with the quantity.
One advantage of stick cinnamon is that it really is cinnamon. What is labeled as ground cinnamon in
the supermarket is usually ground cassia. Cassia is another flavorful bark like cinnamon but most
cooks would agree that cinnamon has a more pleasant flavor. Good cooking.

Fred The Good Gourmet http://www.thegoodgourmet.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition