Actual MTB frame advice wanted

Spademan O----L

Guest
This is the fault of whoever pasted the link to on-one about a week ago. At the moment I have an
Orange Vitamin T which has been re-welded numerous times around the BB and is now showing a hairline
crack again. This bike isn't my main bike, it got retired then brought back to life with spares etc,
and so I only use it for short local rides along canal towpaths etc. Its been at the back of my mind
for a while to actually replace the frame, but, quite frankly, I couldn't be arsed.

Anyway. I followed the on-one link for a harmless gander, and I see that they now do a Ti version of
the gimp.- <http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/tigearedinbred.shtml> Not only that, but the price is
going up by £100 on the 1st of April, so now my aimless "I'll buy a frame at some point" could cost
me £100 nicker, so I've decided to make my mind up. If I go for the on-one, I pretty much have to
order it this weekend.

To be honest I'm a bit put off by the de-kerf style rear seat stays. They may have advantages (mud
clearance), but surely they will be weaker than a frame that uses a wishbone or normal stays? I'm
hesitant as the last frame always cracked around the weld.

To compare things, I always thought I would buy a rock lobster Ti frame, as they are dead cheap,
have been around forever, seem like a pretty simple design and are sold through merlin cycles just
up the road: <https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/index.asp>

Has anyone got anything to add? And no I don't want to get a singlespeed thanks, I already have one,
its got 20" wheels.

Steve E.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:15:49 -0000, "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]>
blathered:

>Anyway. I followed the on-one link for a harmless gander, and I see that they now do a Ti version
>of the gimp.- <http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/tigearedinbred.shtml>

It's a ti version of the Inbred BTW, not the Gimp, which is more a jump/mucjabout style bike. The
geared steel Inbred is a good all day XC machine; I did a two day trip through the Lakes yesterday &
the day before on mine.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is the fault of whoever pasted the link to on-one about a week ago. At the moment I have an
> Orange Vitamin T which has been re-welded numerous times around the BB and is now showing a
> hairline crack again. This bike isn't my main bike, it got retired then brought back to life
> with spares etc, and so I only use it for short local rides along canal towpaths etc. Its been
> at the back of my mind for a while to actually replace the frame, but, quite frankly, I couldn't
> be arsed.
>
> Anyway. I followed the on-one link for a harmless gander, and I see that they now do a Ti version
> of the gimp.- <http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/tigearedinbred.shtml> Not only that, but the price
> is going up by £100 on the 1st of April, so now my aimless "I'll buy a frame at some point" could
> cost me £100 nicker, so I've decided to make my mind up. If I go for the on-one, I pretty much
> have to order it
this
> weekend.
>
> To be honest I'm a bit put off by the de-kerf style rear seat stays. They may have advantages (mud
> clearance), but surely they will be weaker than a frame that uses a wishbone or normal stays? I'm
> hesitant as the last frame always cracked around the weld.
>
> To compare things, I always thought I would buy a rock lobster Ti frame,
as
> they are dead cheap, have been around forever, seem like a pretty simple design and are sold
> through merlin cycles just up the road: <https://www.merlincycles.co.uk/index.asp>
>
> Has anyone got anything to add? And no I don't want to get a singlespeed thanks, I already have
> one, its got 20" wheels.
>
> Steve E.

Right thats gone and done it, I've put an order in for an 18" which are out of stock ATM.

Its all your fault, no-one told me anything bad so when the frames a pile-o-**** I'll be round to
each and every one of your houses pointing my finger and tutting my head.

This is Usenet - I don't have to be responsible for my own actions anymore.

Steve E.