or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wharaoooya count

post #1 of 24
Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger of
an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and let out
a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.

WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....

Colin
post #2 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average.

Dunno - you get a lot more of them on a bent, for sure. I've always thought they were shouting
"LookatmeI'macompletewanker!" but ICBW :-)

--
Guy
===

post #3 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average.

3 in a week! It's more like 3 per mile for me ...well, 3 per ride at least. I suspect my sense of
colour coordination has somthing to do with
it :-)

~PB
post #4 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
>> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
>> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than
>> Oxford. My count last week was 3, about average.
>
> 3 in a week! It's more like 3 per mile for me ...well, 3 per ride at least. I suspect my sense of
> colour coordination has somthing to do with it :-)

I can expect a wolf whistle or two if I do a longish road ride in cycling shorts (& a T-shirt). I'm
sure it's ironic, or just 15 year old girls realising their power to intimidate men in their early
20s by doing that kind of thing.

Mind you, there often don't seem to be any pedestrians around to comment, which is a shame. I mean,
people enjoying the open air and getting where they want to go is nice.

post #5 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

"Colin Blackburn" <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.
>
> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....
>
> Colin

LOL! That should definitely be in the cyclist's dictionary... What annoys me is when you are cycling
up a hill and some spotty kid yells "get those legs moving"... What do they think my legs are doing?
(although on reflection maybe they've noticed my distinct lack of speed perhaps?)

My worse "idiots in cars" moment was when some pillock stuck his arm out of the passenger's window
and belted me on the back, luckily my backpack took most of the impact but it still shook me up -
shame it didn't break the bastard's arm though!

/neil/
post #6 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

Colin Blackburn <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....

...is the ancient incantation used to summon up the paving slab fairy. Dump the bib shorts and
it'll stop ;-)

Tony
post #7 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

"Colin Blackburn" <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.
>
> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....
>
> Colin

in London in 3 years!!
post #8 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

Colin Blackburn <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> said:
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.

The charvas are obviously coming out of hibernation for though I haven't been buzzed by a scooter
yet, I got overtaken by a knackered misfiring fiesta with one wing a different colour the other
week. He was going slowly enough (due to the state of the vehicle) that I actually heard what the
passenger said to me.

"YAAAAAGH......**** bike..."

I then promptly overtook them when I hit a nice sharp downhill and they got stuck in traffic. Hoho.
**** bike indeed

Regards,

-david
post #9 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

In article <b13sdf$v0tba$1@ID-62064.news.dfncis.de>, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
<R_e_M_o_V_Esteford.usenetS_p_A_M@ntlworld.com> says...

> in London in 3 years!!

Ah well, that'll be the sophistication Brian Sewell is on about then.

Colin
post #10 of 24

> In article <b13sdf$v0tba$1@ID-62064.news.dfncis.de>, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> <R_e_M_o_V_Esteford.usenetS_p_A_M@ntlworld.com> says...
> >
> > in London in 3 years!!
> >

> Ah well, that'll be the sophistication Brian Sewell is on about then.

Well the driving isn't sophisticated that's for sure. Dunno - guess I don't wear anything outrageous
and keep my head down.A girl did compliment me last summer near my house when I was wearing a vest.
Apart from that - nothing!
post #11 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

>...is the ancient incantation used to summon up the paving slab fairy. Dump the bib shorts and
>it'll stop ;-)

Indeed!

Cheers, the paving slab fairy

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
post #12 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

In article <slrnb3b0ou.hnf.David.Nutter@cs-200.dur.ac.uk>, David.Nutter@durham.ac.uk says...

> The charvas are obviously coming out of hibernation for though I haven't been buzzed by a
> scooter yet,

This was on South Road, and to be honest the scooter boys were buzzing everyone, peds, cyclists,
cagers, even cats, dogs and birds I imagine. Of course it could have been that the one on the back
had injured his finger and was shouting for a doctor.

> I got overtaken by a knackered misfiring fiesta with one wing a different colour the other week.
> He was going slowly enough (due to the state of the vehicle) that I actually heard what the
> passenger said to me.
>
> "YAAAAAGH......**** bike..."
>
> I then promptly overtook them when I hit a nice sharp downhill and they got stuck in traffic.
> Hoho. **** bike indeed

I hope you shouted, "YAAAAGH...**** car!" as you sailed past.

Colin
post #13 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

Stephen (aka steford) <R_e_M_o_V_Esteford.usenetS_p_A_M@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Colin Blackburn" <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <b13sdf$v0tba$1@ID-62064.news.dfncis.de>, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> > <R_e_M_o_V_Esteford.usenetS_p_A_M@ntlworld.com> says...
> > >
> > > in London in 3 years!!
> > >

> > Ah well, that'll be the sophistication Brian Sewell is on about then.
> >
> Well the driving isn't sophisticated that's for sure. Dunno - guess I
don't
> wear anything outrageous and keep my head down.A girl did compliment me
last
> summer near my house when I was wearing a vest. Apart from that - nothing!

Well if your wearing nothing apart from a vest what do you expect
post #14 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

I've got to confess that I do find myself shouting things at cyclists when I'm being carted to the
shops in my partner's death cage. it's usually something like

"Use the BALLS of your feet!" "Use your gears, for gods sake!" "Your saddle's too high!" "Your
saddle's too low!" "Pump your bloody tyres up!"

or

"Ask your mum to buy you some lights!"

Of course I always make sure that the window is wound up first. And I don't shout too loud.

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
post #15 of 24

Re: Wharaoooya count

"Colin Blackburn" <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.
>
> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....
>
> Colin

Another funny story this time the abuse of a pedestrian though! Around the age of 17 one of my mates
was out with 4 other mates packed in to one of their mum's minis (car not skirt). They were going up
a very steep hill in Matlock, Derbyshire (you'll know which one if you've ever been there). As they
came off the roundabout at the bottom of the hill at some speed my mate wound down the window and,
to impress the others, shouted "Slaphead" at a bald bloke walking up the hill. Within a couple of
seconds the 800cc mini, or whatever it was, started to falter on the incline and the blokes walking
speed became exactly that of the car as he walked alongside staring at them as my mate wound up the
window and cowered into the back seat - everyone else pointing at him.

Absolutely nothing to do with bikes but funny all the same.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK and Europe
This thread is locked