Vitamin C Speeds Recovery From Oral Surgery

Dave Wickware

Guest
Vitamin C and Diet Speeds Recovery From Oral Surgery Wounds

Getting plenty of vitamin C is one way oral surgery patients
can ensure timely recovery. Patients who neglect nutrition
might be tacking extra days onto their recovery time,
reports the Academy of General Dentistry.

Vitamin C is particularly important to the healing process
since deficiencies of the vitamin have been shown to
significantly slow the healing process. Ludi Leibson, DDS,
Academy of General Dentistry spokesman, says he sometimes
gives oral surgery patients high doses of vitamin C and multi-
vitamin supplements before surgery.

A patient's diet is crucial since adequate and appropriate
vitamins, minerals, fats and protein are essential for the
growth and regeneration of normal tissues.

"You're going to delay the healing process and increase the
possibility of infection if you're not getting the proper
nutrients," says Dr. Leibson.

Nutrients function individually as well as cooperatively
in the healing process. The energy needed for tissue
maintenance and repair is supplied by carbohydrates, fat,
and protein. Adequate amounts of carbohydrates and fat
must be available for the energy to preserve protein for
the cellular growth and for the protein development needed
for optimal healing. Along with vitamin C, vitamins A, E,
B, K and D are all integral to the healing process and
recovery time. For example, vitamin A significantly
contributes to healing by reducing the inflammatory period
of tissue repair.

Low nutritional status is commonly caused by poor diet,
digestive problems, illness, and drug/nutrient
interactions. Patients considered to be a nutritional risk
could have any of the following symptoms: severely
underweight (less than 80 percent of standard for height)
or overweight (more than 120 percent of standard for
height); recent loss of 10 percent or more of body weight;
substance abuse, especially alcohol; presence of an acute
or chronic disease; and taking drugs such as steroids,
immunosuppressants and anti-tumor agents.

Dr. Leibson says he rarely sees patients who are
malnourished, but that if someone is nutritionally
compromised they should consider delaying oral surgery
until they are no longer at risk.

----------------
----

The Academy of General Dentistry is a non-profit
organization of more than 37,000 general dentists dedicated
to staying up-to-date in the profession through continuing
education. A general dentist is the primary care provider
for patients of all ages and is responsible for the
diagnosis, treatment, management and overall coordination of
services related to patient's oral health needs.

http://vitamincfoundation.org/statinalert/

>Subject: Re: Vitamin C Speeds Recovery From Oral Surgery
>From: [email protected] (Jan)
>Date: 5/16/2004 1:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time

so Jan posts

>http://vitamincfoundation.org/statinalert/

tell us Janster....WHAT does this cite...dealing with
STATINS have to do with the subject at hand??

nothing of course...as usual..you did not READ before
hitting send

interesting ...tho...FROM this site...I see a discussion of
cardiomyopathy (indeed not a good thing) AND myopathy which
can result from statins..

hmmmm....again..you did not read...or understand if you
did...that tho "cardiomyopathy" and "myopathy" share a part
of a word...indeed both involve muscle damage...

"cardiomyopathy" is NOT the myopathy related to statins
(which is rare BTW)

care to explain?? course not...you have not a clue...

perhaps I should ask you what brand of disposable diapers
you prefer??

BTW....I agree with the subject header....

perhaps you need to stick to that

hawki.....

The Many befefits of vitamin C.

>http://vitamincfoundation.org/statinalert/

" Vitamin C is the only vitamin repeatedly proven to
increase the human lifespan when taken in doses that exceed
dietary levels of this vitamin."

WHO WOULD RECOMMEND DRUGS TO HEART PATIENTS WHICH MIGHT
INCREASE THEIR RISK OF HEART TRANSPLANTATION - WHEN THERE IS
A CLEAR, SAFE AND MORE EFFECTIVE ALTERNATIVE? . . .

Vitamin C is the Original -- A "natural" -- Statin

Ascorbic Acid as a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor

OW BLOOD VITAMIN-C STRONGLY PREDICTS MORTALITY...

VITAMIN C PILLS EXTEND LIFE 6-YEARS (USC)...

VITAMIN C ONLY 1 OF 880 SUBSTANCES TO REGENERATE HEART
MUSCLE CELLS...

HIGH-DOSE VITAMIN C COMPLETELY PREVENTED DRUG-INDUCED
AMNESIA IN MICE...

MORE VITAMIN C AS PILLS REDUCE CATARACTS BY 77%...

HALTING CANCER WITH VITAMIN C...

FUNCTION... VITAMIN C BOOSTS IMMUNE SYSTEM IN AS LITTLE AS
5 HOURS...

Nobelist Has Even Identified Heart Disease as A Vitamin C
Deficiency Disease

See: Why Vitamin C Lowers Lp(a)...

"Researchers at the University of California say that
participants who took about 500 milligrams of vitamin C
supplements per day saw a 24 per cent drop in plasma C-
reactive protein (CRP) levels after two months"

VITAMIN C IS REQUIRED FOR CoQ10 PRODUCTION IN THE BODY

VITAMIN C HAS BEEN KNOWN TO CURE OVER 30 MAJOR DISEASES FOR
OVER 50 YEARS...

SURVEY OF THE SCIENCE: PROVEN HEALTH BENEFITS OF
VITAMIN C...

REPORT: HIGH VITAMIN C LOWERS BAD CHOLESTEROL MORE THAN
STATINS...