or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Road Cycling › Torn Meniscus, anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Torn Meniscus, anyone?  

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't respond,
it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the ice so
running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it felt fine!

He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't
have surgery.

ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
(cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about riding
and racing again.
post #2 of 12

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

In article <blanshay-3001031155130001@192.168.1.3>, Marlene Blanshay <blanshay@total.net> wrote:
>
>
>A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
>Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't respond,
>it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the ice so
>running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it felt fine!
>
>He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't
>have surgery.
>
>ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
>(cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about
>riding and racing again.

So long as the tear folds back in line, you may be OK. I got along for some years after tearing
mine. With mine, about once a year I would move the wrong way and the tear would fold over, pushing
the joint apart. This was _very_ painful -- like writhing on the floor until I managed to get it
pushed back.

Then the day came that I couldn't get it back. To make a long managed-care- nightmare story short,
arthroscopic surgery cut the torn part out. My knee is now pretty much ok, except that I've been
cautioned not to engage in impact-producing activities (running, jumping, ...); biking, backpacking
are ok. YMMV, of course...

Knees are much more subject to damage than we think in our youth Artificial knees are a lousy
substitute, too. You really want qualified medical attention to this kind of problem.

-frank

--
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

In article <3E39637E.9090302@medicine.bsd.uchicago.edu>, joel roth
<jroth@medicine.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Biking is generally easy on the knees. Your friend should stick with 'easy' gears and be careful
> not to over-do it.
>
> I tore my meniscus several years ago. I didn't go for the surgery, and the knee feels fine. Every
> knee is different.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Joel
>

True. He isn't in that bad shape, but he wants to get back to normal. He's diabetic and it's
essential for him to keep active, so that's why he's so concerned. SO far, he's managed to stay off
meds because he cycles, runs, etc, and he doesn't want to get off his program.

Thanks, everyone who responded so far.
post #4 of 12

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

I've torn both menisci, and have had arthroscopic surgery on each knee. I was back on the bike
within three days of surgery (although I had to ride out of the saddle until the knee would flex
enough.) I was back at speed within two weeks.

Interestingly enough, the knee with no remaining cartilage is fine; the one that only had a small
amount removed still causes problems occasionally. Don't avoid the surgery!

"Marlene Blanshay" <blanshay@total.net> wrote in message
news:blanshay-3001031155130001@192.168.1.3...
>
>
> A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
> Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't
> respond, it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the
> ice so running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it
> felt fine!
>
> He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't have
> surgery.
>
> ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
> (cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about
> riding and racing again.

______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Binaries.net = SPEED+RETENTION+COMPLETION = http://www.binaries.net
post #5 of 12

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

In article <blanshay-3001031729090001@192.168.1.3>, Marlene Blanshay <blanshay@total.net> wrote:
>
>True. He isn't in that bad shape, but he wants to get back to normal. He's diabetic and it's
>essential for him to keep active, so that's why he's so concerned. SO far, he's managed to stay off
>meds because he cycles, runs, etc, and he doesn't want to get off his program.

"etc" could include swimming even if the knee hurts.

--Paul
post #6 of 12

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:07:39 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, blanshay@total.net (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:

> ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding?

these days, they start you exercising the joint immediately after surgery. the hospital physical
therapist was there about 5 mins after i came out of anesthesia, having me do knee bends to keep it
from getting stiff. i was told to do 20 per hour, whether they were all at once, one at a time, or
in groups.

my insurance paid for post-surgical physical therapy. fortunately, my PT was a cyclist. i told him
my training goal (surgery just before new year's day, ride a metric century in mid-may) and we
developed a therapy/training program. he helped me get my cadence up so i could gear down and spin
up (my cadence is now around 95 rpm).

i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week, and was
on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week post surgical
xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included several
20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a hammerhead, i
could have done it sooner.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

In article <etdk3v0m1uf219g4vvi4e2uqartfqgbm8f@4ax.com>, NO_SPAM_TO_dpharris@gci.net (Dennis P.
Harris) wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:07:39 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, blanshay@total.net (Marlene
> Blanshay) wrote:
>
> > ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding?
>
> these days, they start you exercising the joint immediately after surgery. the hospital physical
> therapist was there about 5 mins after i came out of anesthesia, having me do knee bends to keep
> it from getting stiff. i was told to do 20 per hour, whether they were all at once, one at a time,
> or in groups.
>
> my insurance paid for post-surgical physical therapy. fortunately, my PT was a cyclist. i told him
> my training goal (surgery just before new year's day, ride a metric century in mid-may) and we
> developed a therapy/training program. he helped me get my cadence up so i could gear down and spin
> up (my cadence is now around 95 rpm).
>
> i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week, and
> was on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week post
> surgical xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
> 1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included several
> 20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a hammerhead, i
> could have done it sooner.

WTG- that's encouraging! My friend saw this news and is relieved. Fortunately,he's also going to a
clinic where they specialize in sports medicine. The last thing he wants to hear is "don't do any
exercise." I was having back trouble and the osteopath I went to said, "stay off your bike."
Sheeah right!
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

In article <r6o_9.31413$A%3.394859@ord-read.news.verio.net>, cnhyf-1043643600@usenet.etext.org (Paul
Southworth) wrote:

> In article <blanshay-3001031729090001@192.168.1.3>, Marlene Blanshay <blanshay@total.net> wrote:
> >
> >True. He isn't in that bad shape, but he wants to get back to normal. He's diabetic and it's
> >essential for him to keep active, so that's why he's so concerned. SO far, he's managed to stay
> >off meds because he cycles, runs, etc, and he doesn't want to get off his program.
>
> "etc" could include swimming even if the knee hurts.
>
> --Paul

good suggestion, but he doesn't swim! I would, though, if it were me.
post #9 of 12

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:24:07 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, blanshay@total.net (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:

> > i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week, and
> > was on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week post
> > surgical xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
> > 1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included
> > several 20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a
> > hammerhead, i could have done it sooner.
>
> WTG- that's encouraging! My friend saw this news and is relieved. Fortunately,he's also going to a
> clinic where they specialize in sports medicine.

i forgot to add that 7 months after the surgery i rode haines, ak to whitehorse, yt to skagway, ak,
535 miles, total hillclimbs approx. 9,500 ft. i took my time, camping and fishing along the way, but
before the surgery i couldn't ride 10 miles without major pain for 2 or 3 days after.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

In article <8o5n3vs6usbj8m3cvmvbjbkq5rn2jmnqbv@4ax.com>, NO_SPAM_TO_dpharris@gci.net (Dennis P.
Harris) wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:24:07 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, blanshay@total.net (Marlene
> Blanshay) wrote:
>
> > > i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week,
> > > and was on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week
> > > post surgical xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
> > > 1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included
> > > several 20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a
> > > hammerhead, i could have done it sooner.
> >
> > WTG- that's encouraging! My friend saw this news and is relieved. Fortunately,he's also going to
> > a clinic where they specialize in sports medicine.
>
> i forgot to add that 7 months after the surgery i rode haines, ak to whitehorse, yt to skagway,
> ak, 535 miles, total hillclimbs approx. 9,500 ft. i took my time, camping and fishing along the
> way, but before the surgery i couldn't ride 10 miles without major pain for 2 or 3 days after.

SOunds like some ride. I don't think that's in his plans, LOL. However, he does want to race
cyclocross this fall and that's probably his main goal.
post #11 of 12

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

<< A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
>><BR><BR>

I had bilateral knee surgery in July..they found more damage than expected when they went in, not
just a torn miniscus in each knee, but cartilage was trimmed in each knee and the right knee has
bone on bone. I am still not able to ride but I do spin each night for physical therapy(weight
bearing is too much for
me). I hope your friend has a better experience than I did..supposedly my doc was the best and we
tried HA injections as well when I was not doing well after surgery..I keep wondering if
something was missed..I am off to another next month to see what options await me.

Joel Stern
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

Re: Torn Meniscus, anyone?

In article <20030210061111.09975.00001266@mb-md.aol.com>, zonmail@aol.comnojunk (Zonmail) wrote:

> << A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral
> meniscus. >><BR><BR>
>
> I had bilateral knee surgery in July..they found more damage than
expected when
> they went in, not just a torn miniscus in each knee, but cartilage was trimmed in each knee and
> the right knee has bone on bone. I am still not able to ride but I do spin each night for physical
> therapy(weight bearing is too much for
> me). I hope your friend has a better experience than I did..supposedly my doc was the best and we
> tried HA injections as well when I was not doing
well after
> surgery..I keep wondering if something was missed..I am off to another next month to see what
> options await me.
>
> Joel Stern

Actually, he's doing pretty well. The tear is very small and he doesn't need surgery, although they
said he may one day. They gave him exercises to do and he's back on the trainer and hoping to start
running soon. They gave him the go ahead to run as long as it doesn't hurt and said he should be
able to run a half-marathon in april!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling
This thread is locked  
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Road Cycling › Torn Meniscus, anyone?