It's official - Moninger suspended for a year...

In article <[email protected]>, Ronde Chimp <[email protected]> writes:

Scott had been somewhat secretive as to which supplement producer was "tainted", since there was
discussion about a lawsuit. Press release 228.pdf, which has the proceedings, mentions which
supplement producer was involved..

>Subject: It's official - Moninger suspended for a year... From: Ronde Chimp <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 20:07:12 GMT
>

>http://www.usantidoping.org/files/PressRelease_4_3_2003_228.pdf
>
>http://www.usantidoping.org/files/PressRelease_4_3_2003_227.pdf
>
>Thanks, Ronde Chimp

| Ken B Hart @ aol.com |

"Ronde Chimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If I'm reading it right, it looks like the 2 sealed bottles Scott submitted for independant
> analysis were clean as a whistle.
>
> Curious.
>
> Thanks, Ronde Chimp

wow, how did you get a hold of that document? he only failed the test by 28,000%. that was close.
looks like the "DR's brand" supplements can only be handed out by a doctor anymore. **** if FVB can
come back after all his drug/psycho problems, SM could race for another few years successfully.

im sticking to my R4, water, and cliff bars.....

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Ronde Chimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If I'm reading it right, it looks like the 2 sealed bottles Scott submitted for independant
> > analysis were clean as a whistle.
> >
> > Curious.
> >
> > Thanks, Ronde Chimp
>

> wow, how did you get a hold of that document? he only failed the test by 28,000%. that was close.
> looks like the "DR's brand" supplements can only be handed out by a doctor anymore. **** if FVB
> can come back after all his drug/psycho problems, SM could race for
another
> few years successfully.

VdB was about 10 years younger when he had his problems. Moninger could very well be done.

JTN wrote:

> wow, how did you get a hold of that document? he only failed the test by 28,000%. that was close.
> looks like the "DR's brand" supplements can only be handed out by a doctor anymore. **** if FVB
> can come back after all his drug/psycho problems, SM could race for another few years
> successfully.
>
> im sticking to my R4, water, and cliff bars.....

Try reading it again. SM's urine test was 22ng/ml and the limit is 5ng/ml. By my math that's only
4.4 times the limit. The supplement test done by IBC found 28,000% of the usual amount of trace
contaminants. It isn't clear where those contaminants came from.

"KenBHart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Scott had been somewhat secretive as to which supplement producer was "tainted", since there was
> discussion about a lawsuit. Press release 228.pdf, which has the proceedings, mentions which
supplement
> producer was involved..

Ken....my dialup is real slow....if it is in the public sector why not just mention the name?

Steve

It said that when his normal brand was out of stock that he purchased another brand known as
"Doctor's Brand L-Tyrosine".

"Steven Y. Litvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "KenBHart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Scott had been somewhat secretive as to which supplement producer was "tainted", since there was
> > discussion about a lawsuit. Press release 228.pdf, which has the proceedings, mentions which
> supplement
> > producer was involved..
> >

> Ken....my dialup is real slow....if it is in the public sector why not
just
> mention the name?
>
> Steve

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote

> VdB was about 10 years younger when he had his problems. Moninger could
very
> well be done.

The rules appeared to call for a two-year suspension for a first offense. The arbitration panel cut
it to one year, and also cut the amount of his fine.

What I find disturbing is the Velonews article about this sanction states:

"The former Mercury rider was able to demonstrate that the 19-norandrosterone positive had resulted
from a contaminated food supplement, something which the panel was allowed to consider as a
mitigating circumstance. "

This is patently untrue. Section 5.6 of the ruling effectively refutes Scott's defense that the
supplements were the cause of his positive test. Again, in Section 5.9 of the arbitration breakdown,
it states: "...the panel is not satisfied that the changed supplement was the cause of the
analytical result..."

Until now I have viewed Velonews as an accurate source of cycling reporting; however their incorrect
reporting of this story brings their independence and veracity into question. While the Velonews
staff might have an affinity with Scott, this does not excuse them from reporting the story
truthfully.

I've long been a fan of Moninger (and continue to be) - but it appears like he was found doping fair
and square. I'm not saying he wasn't screwed by somebody - spiked water bottle? It's always a
possibility, but the food supplements weren't the source.

If somebody can point to any part in the ruling where it shows that the panel accepted Moninger's
assertion that a contaminated food supplement caused his positive test, I'd gladly retract this
diatribe. Otherwise Velonews should issue a clarification immediately.

Thanks, Ronde Chimp