Cycling Farcilities

Danny Colyer

Guest
I've just completed and uploaded a page devoted to cycling farcilities in Bristol and South
Gloucestershire: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/farcilities.html

What do people think? I know some of the pictures are a bit small, but there are 2 good reasons for
that - I want to minimise download time on dialup connections and I don't want it to take up too
much of my webspace.

I've also got links to similar pages for Brighton and Croydon (sadly the Glasgow crappylanes
page seems to be no more). I'd be interested in adding links to other similar pages if anyone
knows of any.

Thomas Paine

In article <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes

>"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I've just completed and uploaded a page devoted to cycling farcilities in Bristol and South
>> Gloucestershire: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/farcilities.html
>
>Your last section -- pictures obscure the text.

Same on my browser.

It has inspired me to produce my own photos of the farcilities in west London.

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

Tony W wrote:
> Your last section -- pictures obscure the text.

Eeeughh. I foolishly forgot to test it in various browsers before uploading it. You're right, it did
look pretty horrible in Explorer (unusual, Explorer usually seems to be more forgiving of dodgy HTML
than other browsers).

The problem was that I'd specified a column width of 50 pixels, instead of 100%, for the last
section. I've corrected it now. Thanks for letting me know.

Thomas Paine

> It has inspired me to produce my own photos of the farcilities in west London.

Which bits of West London? If you're thinking around Hammersmith through Acton/Ealing and into town
let me know. I'd be happy to take the camera out myself for a few.

> It has inspired me to produce my own photos of the farcilities in west London.

Which bits of West London? If you're thinking around Hammersmith through Acton/Ealing and into town
let me know. I'd be happy to take the camera out myself for a few.

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> The problem was that I'd specified a column width of 50 pixels, instead of 100%, for the last
> section. I've corrected it now. Thanks for letting me know.

Nice bits of modern art. Where are the cycle stands?

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:35:18 +0100, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've just completed and uploaded a page devoted to cycling farcilities in Bristol and South
> Gloucestershire: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/farcilities.html
>
> What do people think? I know some of the pictures are a bit small, but there are 2 good reasons
> for that - I want to minimise download time on dialup connections and I don't want it to take up
> too much of my webspace.
>
> I've also got links to similar pages for Brighton and Croydon (sadly the Glasgow crappylanes
> page seems to be no more). I'd be interested in adding links to other similar pages if anyone
> knows of any.
>
> --
> Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> Thomas Paine

Shame on these councils - I've come up against a few of these 'facilities' around Bristol myself. I
wonder if a national newspaper might run a story on this if they were told about it?

Ian

--
Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

Danny Colyer says:

> I've just completed and uploaded a page devoted to cycling farcilities in Bristol and South
> Gloucestershire:

Aha.

I've lost my ref's to sites for Bonn and Frankfurt, but try these. Croydon branch of the London
Cycling Campaign has a site as well

Jeremy Parker

------------------

bike facility URLs

Alan Forkosh, Oakland, Calif: Paris, London
<http://homepage.mac.com/aforkosh/.Pictures/Euorpe_Bike_Photos/L16_Islan dGrdn1.jpg>
<http://homepage.mac.com/aforkosh/.Pictures/Euorpe_Bike_Photos/L17_Islan dGrdn2.jpg>

---------------

04/29/01 http://cms.westport.k12.ct.us/cmslmc/China/slideshows/bicyclesslides/Pag
e55.jpg Segregated bike lane in China. Some bike lanes are simply painted on the street. Others like
this one are separated from motorized traffic by a meridian strip. The meridian strips often
have trees or vegetation planted on them.

Inspired by Bob Matter's F&P photo of the week...

http://alum.wpi.edu/~desousa/misc/bikelane.jpg

By the way, this is where it starts to flatten out after coming down a 10% grade...

Brian

Brian DeSousa Orange, California, USA http://briandesousa.com/

-----------------------
To continue Brian DeSousa's idea. Depending on whether I can get out with a camera, I may turn this
into a weekly feature with just Albuquerque facilities.

Bike lane in Montreal. Montreal has been praised elsewhere as being very bicycle friendly:

http://www.swcp.com/~jvance/9305N14R03Montreal.jpg

And yes, I do believe those are double right turn lanes.

John Vance
--------------

5yds, luxury, try 550mm (or 21in) in Cambridge:

http://www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/camcycle/nl35/nl35_s08.html

Okay, it's a refuge, but it's still a cycle lane,

Subect: Re: More ridiculous cycle lanes Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:45:49 +0000 From: Stephen
MacDonald <[email protected]> Organization: University of Oxford Newsgroups:
uk.rec.cycling References: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5

Check out this website for some real-life ludicrous lanes. Fiction can't compete with fact when it
comes to the incompetence of a council.

http://www.fpipes.freeserve.co.uk/cyclelanes/cyclelane4.html

If you are simply going to get more money for facilities and then let it be used to build Cambridge
style bikelanes you are making things worse and are better off not doing anything. Take another look
at the picture of the bikelane that killed Dana Laird at http://www.rwinters.com/docs/DanaLaird.htm
and you will see what I mean. Shane Foran, cyclehelmets, 4/702 See the truth about Dublin's Rotten
Cycle Paths:

http://www.geocities.com/cyclopath2001/

I also have a review here of what happened when our Govt's technical experts decided to copy Dutch
Design guidance.

http://www.eirbyte.com/gcc/irish_manual_review.doc
(f. big 1.2mb Word Document) Charlie lloyd,urbancyclist,29/6/02

Here's a picture of a recent gem..............
http://www.lcc.org.uk/branches/Islington/index.htm#news_04 lucy garnett 29/6/02 Or try "Cycling
Facility of the Month":

http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co.uk/WarringtonCycleCampaign/facility- of-the-month/index.htm

Jeremy Parker wrote:
> I've lost my ref's to sites for Bonn and Frankfurt, but try these. Croydon branch of the London
> Cycling Campaign has a site as well

Blimey, that's a list and a half. Some of them are dead, but I'll check them all out. Thanks.

Thomas Paine

Tony W wrote:
> Nice bits of modern art. Where are the cycle stands?

Catherine came up with the idea that they're probably meant to be used as wheelbenders, that way you
could lock two bikes to each one. And come back to find two wheels.

Thomas Paine

Jeremy Parker mentioned:
> Alan Forkosh, Oakland, Calif: Paris, London ... /L16_IslandGrdn1.jpg> ... /L17_IslandGrdn2.jpg>

These have moved to: http://homepage.mac.com/aforkosh/EuroBikePhotos/source/l16_island_grdn_1 .html
http://homepage.mac.com/aforkosh/EuroBikePhotos/source/l17_island_grdn_2 .html

and yes, that's a **** design.

I've added the Facility of the Month link and the Dublin link to my farcilities page (means I've had
to change my wording, it *did* say "farcilities in the UK"). Thanks for those.

The pictures in the Facility of the Month archive are quite stunning (and very comical). I also
found another good link from there:
http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html

Thomas Paine

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've just completed and uploaded a page devoted to cycling farcilities in Bristol and South
> Gloucestershire: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/farcilities.html

Found 2 beauts today. Just outside a 'Country Park' -- a reservoir beloved of families cycling &
walking there are:-

1. A 4 foot x 3 foot piece of tarmac set in the grass verge with a nice little bicycle icon and
dropped kerb. Presumably its meant to be a refuge for those crossing the road to take the
'cycle lane' the wrong way round the roundabout.

2. A beautifully signposted shared use footpath/cycle path back into town. Trouble is:

i. Its about 18" wide along its length.

ii. The main users appear to be the local fly tippers.

iii. About 200 yards on it stops and deposits the unwary onto an A road.

I'll take some photos next time I'm up there. The really stupid thing is that there is a pleasant
and much safer route back into town along unclassified roads that is NOT signed at all.

In article <[email protected]>, Johnny Klunk <johnnyklunk@?.com.invalid> writes

>> It has inspired me to produce my own photos of the farcilities in west London.

>Which bits of West London? If you're thinking around Hammersmith through Acton/Ealing and into town
>let me know. I'd be happy to take the camera out myself for a few.

Fulham - and I actually went out this sunny Saturday morning with camera in hand. But, as I was
going on a long walk along the river, didn't have a chance to unload the pics already on it, and
didn't want to waste my smartcard capacity on pics of farcilities, I didn't take any.

Maybe tomorrow. Then I'll have to make a page to put them on.

The neighbours may think I'm acting very strangely...

--

congokid wrote:
> The neighbours may think I'm acting very strangely...

I got some very strange looks from the drivers of the queueing cars when I was taking pictures of
the gates on Wraxall Road (I took several pictures of each farcility, from various angles, choosing
the best one of each for the farcilities page).

Wraxall road is this one, btw: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/farce/wraxall1.jpg
There is always a queue for the roundabout at the best of times, and this was rush hour.

Thomas Paine

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I'll take some photos next time I'm up there. The really stupid thing is that there is a pleasant
> and much safer route back into town along unclassified roads that is NOT signed at all.

But of *course* they didn't sign it. That would mean actually driving around unclassified roads, and
finding out their suitability to cycle traffic. You can't expect them to do that. They're too busy
pointing their white vans where the signs tell them to go.

-Luigi

"No saviour from on high delivers No faith have we in prince or peer Our own right hand the chains
must shiver Chains of hatred, greed and fear E'er the thieves will out with their booty And give to
all a happier lot. Each at the forge must do his duty And we'll strike while the iron is hot."
- Internationale

> Fulham - and I actually went out this sunny Saturday morning with camera in hand. But, as I was
> going on a long walk along the river, didn't have a chance to unload the pics already on it, and
> didn't want to waste my smartcard capacity on pics of farcilities, I didn't take any.

Just down the road then. The Hammersmith/Fulham cycle campaign is always looking for active members.
http://www.hfcyclists.org.uk/ There's some cool events coming up. Including an event it Bishops Park
where someone's trucking in a whole pile of different types of bikes so people can have a try.

Thus spake "Johnny Klunk" <johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com>

> > Fulham - and I actually went out this sunny Saturday morning with camera in hand. But, as I was
> > going on a long walk along the river, didn't have a chance to unload the pics already on it, and
> > didn't want to waste my smartcard capacity on pics of farcilities, I didn't take any.

> Just down the road then. The Hammersmith/Fulham cycle campaign is always looking for active
> members. http://www.hfcyclists.org.uk/ There's some cool events coming up. Including an event it
> Bishops Park where someone's trucking in a whole pile of different types of bikes so people can
> have a try.

I visited the area yesterday (friends in Barnes were celebrating the Boat Race) and was struck by
the most appalling bike facilities I'd ever seen on both sides of the Thames (south side is in
Richmond.) Lonsdale Road was the plum: less than a foot between the double yellow lines on the iside
and the white line on the outside, next to a tree leaning into the road!

Being a rather unsteady pedestrian now, I was 'spooked' by some of the shared use farcilities on
Hammersmith Bridge.

Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I visited the area yesterday (friends in Barnes were celebrating the Boat Race) and was struck by
> the most appalling bike facilities I'd ever seen on both sides of the Thames (south side is in
> Richmond.) Lonsdale Road was the plum: less than a foot between the double yellow lines on the
> iside and the white line on the outside, next to a tree leaning into the road!

You obviously haven't seen the cycle lanes in Faggs Road, Feltham. These are possibly the worst I've
seen anywhere. In parts there are 3 evenly spaced stripes of equal thickness. The first 2 mark the
red route and the 3rd marks the cycle lane. At one end the lane stops abruptly, leaving the cyclist
trapped on the inside of a busy left turning filter lane.

--
Dave...