Lance ... a good ride today?

Psycholist

Guest
All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau
won the GC.

Anyone have more details to share?

Bob C.

psycholist wrote:
> All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau
> won the GC.
>
> Anyone have more details to share?

The stage ended on the pretty Mediterranean coast in Sete
with two climbs of the redoubtable Mont St. Clair.
Armstrong, Azevedo, and Euskaltel's Eigo Martinez (who
should be paid attention to) made their move on the peloton
at the bottom of the first ascension and quickly made
separation. Well-launched, Armstrong accelerated, Azevedo
dropped, and Martinez hung on. The pair crested together,
about 24 seconds ahead of Moreau who was in yellow (Moreau
held the GC with a 12 second lead over Ekimov and 27 seconds
over Iker Flores--Ekimov was in Moreau's wheel on the
climb). Armstrong and Martinez flew down the back side of
the Mont and came around for the final climb. At the bottom
Brochard attacked the Moreau group, as is his wont: he's won
this climb a couple of times before, including two years ago
when the race was called the Midi Libre. Meanwhile, with 500
meters to go, Armstrong stood up on the pedals and
accelerated again, dropping Martinez. He finished with a 10
or 12 second gap on Martinez and Brochard who nipped
Martinez in the last 50m for 2nd. Moreau finished about 40
seconds back, with Ekimov still on his heels. Moreau held on
to the GC with the same gap with which he started the day.
Armstrong showed some pop in his legs.

Jeff Jones wrote:

> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau
>>won the GC.
>>
>>Anyone have more details to share?
>>

> Full results up now
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2004/may04/la-
> nguedoc04/languedoc 045 or http://tinyurl.com/2e43c
>
> Nice finish by Wim Van Huffel (4th). He's been
> consistently good this year. Must be all that training
> along the Schelde ;-)
>
> Jeff

Half of postal didn't finish the stage? What's up with that?

Richard Adams wrote:
> Half of postal didn't finish the stage? What's up
> with that?

This is just a guess, but I'm guessing they knew it was
the last stage and the buses were parked at the bottom
of the hill.

Nice report Robert.

berlin.de...