Friday's risk factor - be fit or dead

Brad Sheppard

Guest
"Exercise capacity is as good — if not better — a predictor of cardiac
mortality as the exercise stress test in asymptomatic women,
researchers announced here at the American College of Cardiology (ACC)
53rd annual scientific session. " "Each unit increase on the DTS was
associated with a 9% decrease in all-cause mortality and a 13%
decrease in cardiac mortality. For each unit increase in exercise
capacity, there was a 17% reduction in all-cause mortality and a 22%
reduction in cardiac mortality." Note - DTS is the Duke Treadmill
Score. What is exercise capacity? " Exercise capacity was determined
by asking subjects what types of activities they engaged in, such as
golfing, walking, gardening, running, squash, and jumping rope. Scores
were assigned depending on the level of exertion required — golfing
with a cart and walking at 2 mph received low scores compared with
jumping rope or running at 5 mph, which received high scores. " So
what to do? "Both Dr. Limacher and Dr. Gulati drew attention to how
the findings strongly support the federal agency and society
recommendations of moderately intense physical activity for at least
30 minutes every day. "We conclude that it is reasonable to achieve
the highest level of physical fitness possible," Dr. Gulati said."
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/471289

Brad Sheppard wrote:

> "Exercise capacity is as good — if not better — a
> predictor of cardiac mortality as the exercise stress test
> in asymptomatic women, researchers announced here at the
> American College of Cardiology (ACC) 53rd annual
> scientific session. " "Each unit increase on the DTS was
> associated with a 9% decrease in all-cause mortality and a
> 13% decrease in cardiac mortality. For each unit increase
> in exercise capacity, there was a 17% reduction in all-
> cause mortality and a 22% reduction in cardiac mortality."
> Note - DTS is the Duke Treadmill Score. What is exercise
> capacity? " Exercise capacity was determined by asking
> subjects what types of activities they engaged in, such as
> golfing, walking, gardening, running, squash, and jumping
> rope. Scores were assigned depending on the level of
> exertion required — golfing with a cart and walking at 2
> mph received low scores compared with jumping rope or
> running at 5 mph, which received high scores. " So what to
> do? "Both Dr. Limacher and Dr. Gulati drew attention to
> how the findings strongly support the federal agency and
> society recommendations of moderately intense physical
> activity for at least 30 minutes every day. "We conclude
> that it is reasonable to achieve the highest level of
> physical fitness possible," Dr. Gulati said."
> http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/471289

Christopher Reeve is living quite well despite not really
being about to exercise much.

In truth, no amount of physical fitness will defeat death.
Only through Christ, can we defeat death.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist