or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

American Classic Micro Hub

post #1 of 4
Anyone tried the 68g American Classic front "Micro" hub? Any bearing slop or other problems with it?

--Paul
post #2 of 4

Re: American Classic Micro Hub

"Paul Southworth" <cnhyf-1043643600@usenet.etext.org> wrote in message

> Anyone tried the 68g American Classic front "Micro" hub? Any bearing slop or other problems
> with it?

I used one to build a set of "do it all" (training and racing) semi-aero wheels a couple of years
ago. After about a year or so (5000 miles total?), the tiniest amount of play had developed in the
bearings, not enough to really matter but I decided I might as well change them anyway. My LBS got
new bearings from AC for me in less than a week for about $15, and I popped them into place (a 15
min job). That eliminated the play, but then one of the new bearings quickly developed a "knock"
that was quite audible when riding, so I had to put new bearings in again. No problems after that
(wheels have since been sold).

Bottom line: I'd definitely buy the hub again, but I'd also probably keep a spare set of bearings
handy because they won't last forever. OTOH, they are so easy to change, it isn't a big deal - less
work, I'd say, than regreasing a classic cone-and-loose ball bearings hub.

Dave of Speeddream wheels apparently uses the AC Micro extensively, and has reportedly found a
source for higher quality/more durable bearings than come standard...

Andy Coggan
post #3 of 4

Re: American Classic Micro Hub

> Isn't there a grease port in the hub? Can you grease it that way? B

The newest version of the American Classic hubs are built without the grease port. From what I
understand Bill Shook felt that the majority of people with grease port hubs did not consistently
use the feature thus leading to poor hub performance. He changed to the new design (minus the grease
port) with better seals to minimize user influence on performance. SAB
post #4 of 4

Re: American Classic Micro Hub

paul-<< Anyone tried the 68g American Classic front "Micro" hub? Any bearing slop or other
problems with it?

Used it for a couple of TT wheels, Zipp rims, work fine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
This thread is locked