Training Week Ending May 30, 2004

Swstudio

Guest
Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
week and goals.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see putting other people

Can run ok, but still can’t go fast on downhills without
dull pain in arch of left foot I sprained on 5/01 in a mtn
race. I’m going to cut back to shorter, flatter runs this
week to see if it can heal up. Maybe even (gasp!) take
some days off.

Week ending 5/29/04 Sun: 0 ( 28 miler yesterday) Mon: 13
miles 2:00. Climb to Mt. Hollywood, half way down, then
back. Tue: 0 (medical procedure) Wed: 20 miles in Santa
Monica mountains. 3:10, 3k feet of climb, ran first
7.5 miles with faster runner at 165 pulse. Thu: 10 miles
easy on Hollywood Hills fireroads. Fri: 7 miles easy,
flat. Sat: 8 miles, climb from 6,000 – 10,032 Mt. Baldy.
Felt weak, could only get pulse up to 140 before legs
loaded up (as opposed to 155-165)! Felt sore throat coming
on, cut it short. Climb took 1:39, slowest ever, expected
1:30 or so.

Total: 58 miles.

Sun: 4 miles, weights back and shoulders
Mon: 4 miles, 1 hour of tennis
Tues: weights - legs and biceps
Wed: 6 miles
Thur: 6 miles
Fri: 3 miles, weights - chest and tri's
Sat: 13 miles

Total: 36 miles

Ran a 5k last week to work on leg turnover, need to enter
another 5k or 10k as I'm working on my speed.

Tom

sun: walk 0:35
mon: ran 1:16, railroad grade 8.4 miles, HR 145; walk 0:20 w/u & c/d
tues: cycled 1:00, 15.5 miles, HR 135
wed: treadmill 0:40, weights
thurs: ran 0:55, hilly trails fartlek, felt great, got HR to 180, HR 152;
walk 0:20 w/u & c/d
fri: cycled 1:45, mostly flat, high cadence, 26.7 miles, HR 135
sat: walk 0:55

ran: ~14m cycled: 42m

The run/bike/rest crosstraining cycle continues with great
results. My long runs or bikes aren't done religiously every
weekend, but every 10 days to 2 weeks or so. 3:20 bike Sat
before, and long run planned for sunday...

Goals: July 24hr CNYO ROAGAINE, 50km trail race in Sept,
Oct/Nov Orienteering

Have been thinking about future goals recently: 50 mile
trail ultra in 2005 - did a trail 50m (11:32) in 2002 but
died after 43m 70 mile trail ultra in 2006 (Laurel
Highlands) reachable for me I think 100? mile trail ultra in
2007 (Mohican 100 in ohio)? - Unknown territory

As I shoot for the ultras, I plan to double my current
running and cycling time slowly, and then do alot of fast
hiking mixed with trail running, first one day efforts,
moving to 2 day efforts done every 2 weeks. The main thing I
learned from running 50m on trail before is that the legs
have to really be used to the pounding, especially steep
downhills found on trails. Cycling will help some with leg
strengh, something I didnt do in 2002. 100m is said to be 3x
harder than 50m so I know I have a long way to go and I plan
to take my time getting there.

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

Mon - rest Tue - 9 @ 8:20, general aerobic Wed - 12 @ 8:28,
medium long Thu - 7 @ 8:33, recovery Fri - 8 @ 8:08, general
aerobic Sat - 4 @ 8:29, recovery Sun - rest
Week - 40 Year - 852

Training: Week 5 of 24-week marathon training program. Week
5 of 10-week endurance phase. Did a mini-taper this week for
10K on Monday 5/31. I moved my long run from Sunday to
Wednesday so that I could be prepared for the 10K race
without sacrificing too much of my weekly marathon training
goals. The temps were in the upper 80s much of this week.
However, I seemed to hold up pretty well. I think the lower
body weight helps endure the hot conditions.

Goals:

5/31/04 - Celebrate America 10K. My first race in over 4
years. Goal <43:00, 68% WAVA

5/32/04 - Wine Country Half Marathon. Goal <1:40:00, 64%
WAVA Need sub 1:45 for preferred start at the
Chicago Marathon

5/33/04 - LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon. Boston qualifier.
Goal <3:30:00, 65% WAVA

Have a great week rec.runners.

Phil M.

--
"I gotta go. You're killin' me."

In article <[email protected]>,
"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

a freakin' phenomenal week:

last Sat. - a great effort and time in a sprint triathlon
Sun - total rest, not even a swim M - :30 tempo run, really
gunning it t - rest w - :40 tempo run, eased back just a
touch t - :30 easy run f - DNR, cycled about :30 s - set a
new 5K PR in the Ottawa National Capital Race Weekend s -
continue to celebrate my PR! and maybe an easy-going swim
(for a change)

comments/goals:

another tri? another 5K... in an attempt to burn my new PR
to the ground? who knows.... i have this new habit of
deciding at the last minute to do races and then coming
through with flying colours. maybe this should be the way i
operate from now on.

i'm flyin', baby!

Cam

Goals: Recover from injury. I'm beginning to suspect that what I thought was simply a pulled calf
muscle may be something worse. 11 days on an very little in the way of improvement.
Mon: dnr
Tue: dnr
Wed: dnr
Thurs:dnr
Fri: dnr
Sat: dnr
Sun: dnr

--
Colm

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
: week and goals.

> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

this week's runs : monday : 9 km => 47'06" easy tuesday :
8 km => 36'18" with 8*400m in 1'22" (3'25"/km) with 200m
rest in between wednesday : rest thursday : 9 km => 48'35"
easy with10*100m in 19", 100m rest friday : 18 km =>
1h22'16" with 5 km tempo @ 3'54" saturday : rest sunday :
rest total : 46 km.

Good training week, it has been 8 weeks since I last ran
4 times per week, and this time I added a "long" run of
18k with a tempo. The weather is particularly hot now as
I run during the day, usually in the afternoon. Drinking
a lot of water.

Goal : 10 km on june 13th with a time below 38'

long term goal : a fall marathon...

chers
--
__________________
marko

> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON)
> www.allfalldown.org
> "The most insecure people are the ones you see
> putting other people down constantly."

"Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 70 mile trail ultra in 2006 (Laurel Highlands)

I'm doing it this year. Oh ****, that's in two weeks I
better get training. ;)

> 100? mile trail ultra in 2007 (Mohican 100 in ohio)?
> - Unknown
territory

Unless you don't like or can't afford to travel think about
the Vermont 100 and pass up the hordes of the Ohio flies.

>The main thing I learned from running 50m on trail before
>is that the legs have to
really
> be used to the pounding, especially steep downhills
> found on
trails.

No truer words spoken. I will add one other tidbit, train
your hiking muscles for the uphills. Running and hiking the
ups are two different animals.

> 100m is said to be 3x harder than 50m

Interesting perspective. Other than the obvious twice
the distance I never thought about the difference
between the two. What I do know is the last 20 miles of
a 100 take forever.

> so I know I have a long way to go and I plan to take my
> time getting there.

Great Strategy.

-DougF

Goal: 15:59 5k

10k race on Wednesday, would like to go sub 34 but it's not
a flat course at all...

Monday: REST

Tuesday: pm) 5.5 miles in total, 5 x ~0.7m w/60sec rec,
hilly - hard

Wednesday: pm) 10 miles - easy/medium

Thursday: pm) 7.75 miles, fartlek, 10 x 60sec w/45sec - hard

Friday: pm) 8 miles, hillyish - easy/medium

Saturday: pm) 5 miles in total, 8 x 400m (track) w/2min -
hard (69, 66, 66, 67, 65, 65, 66, 65)

Sunday: pm) 10.25 miles, hillyish - easy/medium

Total run: 46.5 miles

--
Brian Wakem

goals: continue building base as I start training for fall marathon;
work on speed with weekly track workouts and the occasional short
race; learn (again) how to survive running in 80F/80% RH. Upcoming
races: 5000m track race June 9; 5K June 25; marathon Oct 10.

M: 9.75mi (9:13)
N: 9.75mi (8:30)
O: 8mi incl 8x400 @ 1:27 (avg)
P: 10:5mi (8:49)
Q: 6.5mi (8:33) incl 10 x strides Sa: 9.3mi incl 5K race
(19:42, 5th female, 1F40) Su: 17.25mi (7:51)

total: 71.05 miles

The 5K race was not on a certified course, so I won't count
it as a real PR, won't look up the WAVA %, won't give any
Dean screams about
Qa. But last year I ran this race in 24:23, so I'm pretty
happy with yesterday's result.

Florida summer fun: next race is a 5000m track race our
coach has scheduled in lieu of our regular weekly track
workout. It'll be run at about 5PM in full sun, over 85F (or
the aftermath of a thunderstorm) and god knows how much
humidity. I've never puked after a race, but this might be
my initiation into that club.

good week all

Karen

Goals: Maintain mileage, tune up for 10K on June 12.

Sun: 5 easy Mon: 16 Tue: DNR Wed: 8.3: 6x1000m @ 4:14 w/400m
recoveries in 2:00-2:30, plus 3 WU/CD Thu: 8.04 hills Fri:
DNR Sat: 10.5: 3 x 1000m @ 4:15 w/2:00 recoveries; 2 x 1000m
@ 3:55 w/3:30 recoveries; 4 x 200m @ :42 with full
recoveries, plus 5 WU/CD

Total 47.9 miles.

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing
and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston
Churchill

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

Low mileage week as I ease through injury.

M 45 min recumbant, weights T 45 min stationary bike w/ some
out of saddle intervals last 15 min W 3min (11mph) --->2min
(8mph) x 6, 3km up, 3km down T (2min @ 1% incline, 4%
incline, 8% incline all @ 8mph) x 5 3km up , 3km down F 1km
easy (forgot patellar strap) S 16km easy S 2 min (12mph) ---
>3 min (7mph) x 6, 3km up, 1km down

Total: 52km

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see putting other people
down constantly."

Mon 4.5 easy 4 strides Tues 8.5 total w 7 X 400, 1st time on
the track in a long time, times ranged from 1:33 to 1:40 Wed
6.5 easy 4 strides Thurs 5.5 2.5 mile tempo Friday off Sat
11 including miserable 15k race @ 1:16 something Sunday 10k
total including 5k XC race @ 25:15, ran conservatively and
felt good at the end.

42 total I wanted to cut back the mileage, which I did but
still was exhausted by Friday. I ran 7 days straight going
back to last week by this past Thursday which was probably
a big mistake, 6 days seems to be my limit.

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.
>

> cheers,
> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
> insecure people are the ones you see putting other people
> down constantly."

Monday 5/24-4 miles (untimed) Tuesday 5/25-2 x mile repeats
(7:50, 7:56), 2 recovery 1/2 miles (untimed) Wednesday 5/26-
rest Thursday 5/27-6 @ 8:42 Friday 5/28-5.1 @ 8:52 Saturday
5/29-4 @ 8:43 Sunday 5/30-9.18 @ 9:21 average (first 6 @
9:11, 1st reservoir loop @ 9:42, 2nd reservoir loop @ 9:38)
~31.28 total

Upcoming races still same as last week...Corporate Challenge
6/9, New York Mini 6/12 Just joined one of the local running
clubs this week, I think it will be a huge help to me w/r to
things like speedwork and hill training, and even just to
have people to run with for training runs (and so I can give
my Discman a rest too...teehee)

Goals: -still work on pacing myself -avoid happy hour the
night before the NY Mini :p

Rant of the week: The race day info for the Corporate
Challenge is available, and their definition of a "racer" is
8 min/mile or less, and anything slower is "non-
competitive," and they advise those peeps to line up with
the slower runners and walkers. Now, I plan to do this at
approximately
8:20-8:30/mile-which I personally think is still pretty damn
competitive. I'm not gonna be uber-fast, but on the same
token, I do NOT want to be pushing walkers out of the way
for the first mile. (Especially since this event is huge-
probably over 10,000 people.) You know, I've always been
respectful when it comes to positioning myself for the
start, but I think this is one time when I am gonna have
to bend the rules. And it's interesting that other cities
have 9 min/mile as the cutoff between "competitive" and
"non-competitive." Rant over.

Happy holidaze to all of you in the States! -Lara
:)

On 2004-05-29, SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

Goal: piles of miles. Keep getting those short runs in, plus
a couple of longer runs.

M 6 T 4.8/10.3 W 5/5 T 6.9 F 3/5.6 S 5/5.6 S 15

Total 72

Cheers,

98 f you w 2108 for the year clown w go too your hell *****

Not running due to foot injury. Maintaining fitness through
biking and pool sessions (pool running and swimming)

Monday: 300m swim, 35 mins pool running, 300m swim Tues: 1hr
bike Wed: 30 mins "circuit training" Thu: Strained back
lifting kid's bike...pool session off Fri: No bike - sore
back Sat: off Sun: 3.5 km walk, 50 mins bike. Back OK.

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.

Goal - 5 weeks to first marathon (Gold Coast).

Mon - Went to Physio. Mild PFS. Tue - Rest Wed - 9k slow
Thur - rest Fri - 12k treadmill easy (8:03/mile) Sat - 8k
easy. Back to Physio Sun - 32k easy

Week total 61km YTD 938km.

Sore today but not injured.

Daniel T.

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

M - - T - 2 miles @ 6:16 W - 2 miles @ 7:25 T - 3 miles @
7:30 F - 1.5 hr soccer S - 3.5 miles @ 11:00 S - -

total: 10.5 miles

goals: nothing yet. would like to run a 5K soon. been too
busy.

jobs