Weight Loss Diary

Badger_south

Guest
Just a short bookmark to note that since I upped my mileage
to 100miles/week, and two-a-day rides, my weightloss has
increased dramatically.

Initially I only had lost about 15lbs over 6 months at a
more modest 50miles/wk.

In the first 5 higher mileage weeks, I've lost 15lbs, the
second 2 weeks 10lbs more.

These last two weeks, I've ridden faster (from 11.7 mph,
average to 13.5 mph, average), and farther (from 10
miles/ride to 20 miles/ride average).

So, IMO, biking alone can help you lose weight if you are
doing enough mileage, and at a fast enough speed. Of course
you have to find your own 'threshold' for these.

Some people may find that threshold with less mileage, and
greater speed - gotta experiment.

In addition, I'm adding muscle to my legs, calves and yes, a
little to the upper body, although some of the apparent
'muscle' is just better defo, due to the loss of fat.

Thus 25-30lbs in 8 weeks has not resulted in any bad side-
effects for me, nor have I lost any significant muscle.
Energy and drive have increased markedly, as well.

Moral: When in doubt, bike a lot! ;-p

-B

Keep it up... you're an inspiration to all who need to shed a few Kilos.

Thus 25-30lbs in 8 weeks has not resulted in any bad side-
effects for me, nor have I lost any significant muscle.
Energy and drive have increased markedly, as well.

Good for you. I have recently come to the same conclusion
myself since my daily rides of between 12 and fifteen aren't
taking anything off I've aspired to go for at least twenty a
day and hopefully two-a-days. Good luck.

On 2 Jun 2004 19:17:39 -0700, [email protected] (Ryan W.) wrote:

>Thus 25-30lbs in 8 weeks has not resulted in any bad side-
>effects for me, nor have I lost any significant muscle.
>Energy and drive have increased markedly, as well.
>

>Good for you. I have recently come to the same conclusion
>myself since my daily rides of between 12 and fifteen
>aren't taking anything off I've aspired to go for at least
>twenty a day and hopefully two-a-days. Good luck.

One thing about losing the weight by biking (or any
exercise), is that it's pretty easy to keep it off,
mostly. ;-)

Since my learning curve and ability on the bike is still
climbing, and nowhere near leveling off, even occasional bad
eating habits are oft thwarted. <g>

Still I avoid sugars, sweetened drinks, and white carbs
completely, and drink lots of fluids.

It really helps being on vacation, b/c my host (brother)
is an excellent cook and he is on a -very- strict low
carb diet.

What worked for me was having two-a-days that I eventually
merged. I.e., I'd ride two ten milers, about 4-8 hours
apart, and then after a few weeks, I'd be ready to do one 20
miler, and later in the day a ten miler. I try to ride a
long ride on Saturday and a fast ride on Sunday. Mondays, if
I feel good, I'll push it again; if not, I'll ease up.

Good luck to you!

-Badger

Badger_South wrote:
:: On 2 Jun 2004 19:17:39 -0700, [email protected] (Ryan
:: W.) wrote:
::
::: Thus 25-30lbs in 8 weeks has not resulted in any bad side-
::: effects for me, nor have I lost any significant muscle.
::: Energy and drive have increased markedly, as well.
:::
:::
:::
[...]

Have you not had any issues with low blood glucose after a
long ride while LCing, Badger? I seem to. This has been
messing with me since I started doing lots of miles. I
don't seem to have problems while on the bike, but about an
hour or two afterwards, I just run completely out of juice
and feel like **** for the rest of the day -- if I don't
take in lots of carbs. Of course, on my rides there are
lots of hills and I repeatedly get up over 90% of
theoretical max heartrate (220 - 46 = 174). In fact, many
times I get upto 95%.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:08:20 -0400, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Have you not had any issues with low blood glucose after a
>long ride while LCing, Badger? I seem to. This has been
>messing with me since I started doing lots of miles. I
>don't seem to have problems while on the bike, but about an
>hour or two afterwards, I just run completely out of juice
>and feel like **** for the rest of the day -- if I don't
>take in lots of carbs. Of course, on my rides there are
>lots of hills and I repeatedly get up over 90% of
>theoretical max heartrate (220 - 46 = 174). In fact, many
>times I get upto 95%.

When I get to your level, I'll letcha know; mebbe in about 6
months, eh?

Seems like you're on to the right solution, though.

-Badger

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Have you not had any issues with low blood glucose after a
> long ride while LCing, Badger? I seem to. This has been
> messing with me since I started doing lots of miles. I
> don't seem to have problems while on the bike, but about
> an hour or two afterwards, I just run completely out of
> juice and feel like **** for the rest of the day -- if I
> don't take in lots of carbs. Of course, on my rides there
> are lots of hills and I repeatedly get up over 90% of
> theoretical max heartrate (220 - 46 = 174). In fact, many
> times I get upto 95%.

You might want to take a shot at measuring your actual max
HR, rather than using the 220 - age formula. For many
people, especially ones who have stayed somewhat fit as they
age, that gives you a number significantly lower than their
actual max HR. I'm 43, and my measured max is anywhere from
7 to 15 bpm higher than that number would give me, depending
on the exercise.

When you are just starting out, that formula gives you a
decent starting place, but as you work your way into shape,
you should measure it once in a while to keep your training
intensity at a proper level.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Badger_South wrote:

>>> One thing about losing the weight by biking (or any
>>> exercise), is that it's pretty easy to keep it off,
>>> mostly. ;-)
>>>
>>> Since my learning curve and ability on the bike is still
>>> climbing, and nowhere near leveling off, even occasional
>>> bad eating habits are oft thwarted. <g>
>>>
>>> Still I avoid sugars, sweetened drinks, and white carbs
>>> completely, and drink lots of fluids.
>>>
>>> It really helps being on vacation, b/c my host (brother)
>>> is an excellent cook and he is on a -very- strict low
>>> carb diet.
>>>
>>> What worked for me was having two-a-days that I
>>> eventually merged.
>>> I.e., I'd ride two ten milers, about 4-8 hours apart,
>>> and then after a few weeks, I'd be ready to do one
>>> 20 miler, and later in the day a ten miler. I try to
>>> ride a long ride on Saturday and a fast ride on
>>> Sunday. Mondays, if I feel good, I'll push it again;
>>> if not, I'll ease up.
>>>
>>> Good luck to you!
>
> Have you not had any issues with low blood glucose after a
> long ride while LCing, Badger? I seem to. This has been
> messing with me since I started doing lots of miles. I
> don't seem to have problems while on the bike, but about
> an hour or two afterwards, I just run completely out of
> juice and feel like **** for the rest of the day -- if I
> don't take in lots of carbs. Of course, on my rides there
> are lots of hills and I repeatedly get up over 90% of
> theoretical max heartrate (220 - 46 = 174). In fact, many
> times I get upto 95%.

I'm often at 114% of my theoretical max heartrate during our
normal sunday grouprides. Just to show you how theoretical
these numbers are. Have you heard of the glycogene window?
It's open maybe a little less than an hour after a hard
workout. It's more open the closer to your ride you are.
During this phase you can eat high GI carbs without raising
your insulin level or creating a sugar rush and the ensuing
crash. The carbs will be will go straight out into your
muscles and stored as glycogen, thus starting the recovery
process. You might wan't to look into what you eat or drink
right after a workout. I try to stick something in my mouth
before I even get to the showers. Even plain white sugar is
better than nothing at this point. Some fruit is probably a
lot better.

--
Perre

David Kerber wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: [email protected] says...
::
:: ...
::
[...]

I have my Polar s720i that claims to do something regarding
max heart rate and V02max (I haven't gotten around to using
it). Would that be sufficient or should I go looking
elsewhere? There is a lab here that has a bodygem device
that will measure your resting metabolic rate. I could ask
there. I really do need to get to the bottom of the low BG
thing, one way or another.

Per Elmsäter wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Badger_South wrote:
::::: On 2 Jun 2004 19:17:39 -0700, [email protected]
::::: (Ryan W.) wrote:
:::::
:::::: Thus 25-30lbs in 8 weeks has not resulted in any bad
:::::: side-effects for me, nor have I lost any significant
:::::: muscle. Energy and drive have increased markedly, as
:::::: well.
::::::
::::::
::::::
[...]

Thanks....I'll look into the glycogene window. I have read
that some amount of carbs w/ protein is best, as well as
taking creatine. In fact, I have started taking creatine to
combat the low BG thing. I think it may be helping, but I
only just started it a week ago and haven't really done a
long right since then (because of going clipless -- hmm --
I'm changing too much stuff at once!)

So far, I have not seem my HR go above the 220 number. Of
course, I don't feel I'm near my max at 95%, but then who
knows how that works? If I got to my true max, what happens
next? Will I have a heart attack while riding up a hill? :)
(I don't expect an reply to that)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> ::: Have you not had any issues with low blood glucose
> ::: after a long ride while LCing, Badger? I seem to. This
> ::: has been messing with me since I started doing lots of
> ::: miles. I don't seem to have problems while on the
> ::: bike, but about an hour or two afterwards, I just run
> ::: completely out of juice and feel like **** for the
> ::: rest of the day -- if I don't take in lots of carbs.
> ::: Of course, on my rides there are lots of hills and I
> ::: repeatedly get up over 90% of theoretical max
> ::: heartrate (220 - 46 = 174). In fact, many times I get
> ::: upto 95%.
> ::
> :: You might want to take a shot at measuring your actual
> :: max HR, rather than using the 220 - age formula. For
> :: many people, especially ones who have stayed somewhat
> :: fit as they age, that gives you a number significantly
> :: lower than their actual max HR. I'm 43, and my measured
> :: max is anywhere from 7 to 15 bpm higher than that
> :: number would give me, depending on the exercise.
> ::
> :: When you are just starting out, that formula gives you
> :: a decent starting place, but as you work your way into
> :: shape, you should measure it once in a while to keep
> :: your training intensity at a proper level.
>
> I have my Polar s720i that claims to do something
> regarding max heart rate and V02max (I haven't gotten
> around to using it). Would that be sufficient

It might be, but I don't know anything about it. The easiest
way to find your max HR is simply to measure it. Get a good
warmup ride for 15-30 minutes, then find a good long hill,
and bust your ass all the way up until you're ready to fall
off. The highest reading you see through the spots in front
of your eyes is your max hr.

> or should I go looking elsewhere? There is a lab here that
> has a bodygem device that will measure your resting
> metabolic rate. I could ask there. I

If they have qualified people, that might be a good
resource. Unqualified people can be _wors_e than trial-and-
error, though.

--

Roger Zoul wrote:
> I have my Polar s720i that claims to do something
> regarding max heart rate and V02max (I haven't gotten
> around to using it). Would that be sufficient or should I
> go looking elsewhere? There is a lab here that has a
> bodygem device that will measure your resting metabolic
> rate. I could ask there. I really do need to get to the
> bottom of the low BG thing, one way or another.

No the Polar HRMs will not approximate your HR correctly. I
have turned mine off and enter my HRmax manually. It's not
rocket science, I just enter the highest number I ever see
while training. 2 years ago when I first bought my HRM it
was 185. Now it's 190. Close enough and definitely a lot
closer than the approximations. Theoretically I'm at 167 and
Polar approx was about 175. As for the Polar fitness test. I
tested at 49 when I bought it two years ago. Today after
working out 5-6 times a week for two years and averaging
over 200 km a week I test at 48. Apart from these features I
love it and it has been a great help to me in getting to
know my own body. If I went to a lab and paid for a
fullfledged test maybe I could squeese out a HR of 192,
maybe. That's how close I feel I am from just using a HRM.
Much more important than HRmax is learning where your
different thresholds are. Like how many minutes can I
sustain above a certain HR before the lactic acid gets me
etc. Of course HR is not very accurate due to cardiac drift,
but it is a good help if you've gotten nothing else.
Preferably a Power meter.

--
Perre

[email protected]=20 says...
.
> ::
> :: I'm often at 114% of my theoretical max heartrate
> :: during our normal sunday grouprides. Just to show you
> :: how theoretical these numbers are. Have you heard of
> :: the glycogene window? It's open maybe a little less
> :: than an hour after a hard workout. It's more open the
> :: closer to your ride you are. During this phase you can
> :: eat high GI carbs without raising your insulin level or
> :: creating a sugar rush and the ensuing crash. The carbs
> :: will be will go straight out into your muscles and
> :: stored as glycogen, thus starting the recovery process.
> :: You might wan't to look into what you eat or drink
> :: right after a workout. I try to stick something in my
> :: mouth before I even get to the showers. Even plain
> :: white sugar is better than nothing at this point. Some
> :: fruit is probably a lot better.
>=20
> Thanks....I'll look into the glycogene window. I have read
> that some amou=
nt
> of carbs w/ protein is best, as well as taking creatine.
> In fact, I have started taking creatine to combat the low
> BG thing. I think it may be helping, but I only just
> started it a week ago and haven't really done a long right
> since then (because of going clipless -- hmm -- I'm
> changing t=
oo
> much stuff at once!)
>=20
> So far, I have not seem my HR go above the 220 number. Of
> course, I don'=
> feel I'm near my max at 95%, but then who knows how that
> works? If I got=
> my true max, what happens next? Will I have a heart attack
> while riding =
up
> a hill? :) (I don't expect an reply to that)

IANAD, but I'll answer anyway <Grin>. Assuming you are in
decent shape=20 and have no other major risk factors for a
heart attack, then it's=20 unlikely. You just won't be able
to get your heart rate any higher, or=20 go any harder or
faster no matter how badly you want to, and you won't=20 be
able to keep it up for very long. If it feels like you're
doing your=20 max, then you probably are, or at least very
close to it. You just have=20 to maintain it for a little
while (10 - 20 sec, IME) to make sure your=20 heart rate has
caught up to your exertion level.

--=20 Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep
posts in the=20 newsgroups if possible).

Roger Zoul wrote:
> So far, I have not seem my HR go above the 220 number. Of
> course, I don't feel I'm near my max at 95%, but then who
> knows how that works? If I got to my true max, what
> happens next? Will I have a heart attack while riding up a
> hill? :) (I don't expect an reply to that)

Reaching your HRmax is not harmful to an otherwise healthy
person. I max out, or real close, sometimes several times a
month and I'm 53 years old. If you feel uncertain about that
you shouldn't even be ridin at a theoretical 95%.

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: So far, I have not seem my HR go above the 220 number.
::: Of course, I don't feel I'm near my max at 95%, but then
::: who knows how that works? If I got to my true max, what
::: happens next? Will I have a heart attack while riding up
::: a hill? :) (I don't expect an reply to that)
::
:: Reaching your HRmax is not harmful to an otherwise
:: healthy person. I max out, or real close, sometimes
:: several times a month and I'm 53 years old. If you feel
:: uncertain about that you shouldn't even be ridin at a
:: theoretical 95%.

I don't feel uncertain doing the activity that gets me to a
220-age theoretical of 95%......but just looking at the
numbers and wondering :) I've done it many times over.

Per Elmsäter wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
[...]

Okay....I think I'll follow this route...one question:
everyone I know of how does not use the 220-age formula
always quote a higher actual max heartrate. Anyone ever find
that their max is lower than then 220-age formula?

::
:: --
:: Perre
::
:: You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

David Kerber wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: [email protected] says...
::
::
[...]

That's pretty easy....I could do it on my stationary, too,
rather than risk falling or getting hit on a long hill.

::
::: or should I go looking elsewhere? There is a lab here
::: that has a bodygem device that will measure your resting
::: metabolic rate. I could ask there. I
::
:: If they have qualified people, that might be a good
:: resource. Unqualified people can be _wors_e than trial-and-
:: error, though.

Yeah, and I have no real means to know if they know what
they're doing.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Okay....I think I'll follow this route...one question:
> everyone I know of how does not use the 220-age formula
> always quote a higher actual max heartrate. Anyone ever
> find that their max is lower than then 220-age formula?

I ride with several people that have way lower HRmax than
the 220-age nubers. One dude has 160 as his HRmax and
he's barely 40 y/o. I have to eat his dust any day he
cranks it up.

--
Perre

[email protected] says...

> :: It might be, but I don't know anything about it. The
> :: easiest way to find your max HR is simply to measure
> :: it. Get a good warmup ride for 15-30 minutes, then
> :: find a good long hill, and bust your ass all the way
> :: up until you're ready to fall off. The highest reading
> :: you see through the spots in front of your eyes is
> :: your max hr.
>
> That's pretty easy....I could do it on my stationary, too,
> rather than risk falling or getting hit on a long hill.

If you have the will power to push that hard on a stationary
bike, then that would work. I find it mentally a lot easier
to push myself to the max when I'm actually going somewhere.