how would you design a bike pizza carrier?

Tom Keats

Guest
A pizza carrier that sits atop a milk crate which is fastened to a rear rack.

I'm figuring a square pedestal that fits down like a large, square peg into the milk crate itself,
and a wider storage compartment on top of the pedestal. Maybe I could insulate the storage
compartment with styrofoam overlaid with some sort of wooden doorskin acrylic-lacquered with that
"Colors in Plastic" stuff, inside & out? I'm still trying to decide which would be preferable:
top-opening or side-opening. The pedestal and storage compartment would of course have to be somehow
securely joined together.

My goal is to be assured of getting a pie or two home, with each slice of crust wearing _only_ it's
own allotment of topping, cheese & sauce, and the entire pizza retaining its original round shape,
as well as a lot of its heat. Well, and I wanna build something, too.

I suppose I could rig up something out of a ready-made thermal pizza carrier, but building something
more bicycle-specific from scratch sounds like more fun.

The easy way is to just use a couple of bungee cords -- pass them through the milk crate's
hand-holes, underneath the pizza box, and join the bungees' hooks together over top of the box. But
that still exposes everything to the elements, and allows so much thermal loss.

The notion of wasting duct tape just for the duration of a ride home from the pizzeria appalls my
thriftiness. So, duct tape is out of the question.

Another option is to just mash one end of the pizza box down into the milk crate -- symmetry be
damned. But that often doesn't work very well; it tilts the pizza, so it all slumps down into an
amorphous, lifeless heap at the bottom. A victimized pizza can be a most pathetic and
heart-rending sight.

Anyhow, I'm keenly interested in what ideas and inspirations others might come up with (or have
already come up with.) Especially anything involving gimbals to keep the pie level on hills.

cheers, Tom