Grrrrr

Colin McKenzie

Guest
My hat blew off this afternoon for the second time this week
- both on Hanger Lane Gyratory. This time I had to go round
again to retrieve it.

Earlier I was on Hillingdon cycle track, trying to go as
fast as I could with the track to myself. It stayed on
fine then.

Mr. Murphy, get out of my life.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that it
leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:56:29 +0100, Colin McKenzie
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My hat blew off this afternoon for the second time this
>week - both on Hanger Lane Gyratory. This time I had to go
>round again to retrieve it.

Had you been wearing a helmet with the straps adjusted
correctly, this would not have happened.

When touring, for long hot uphill stretches, I wear a sun
hat with a chin strap to prevent errant gusts of winds from
dehatitating me.

"Colin McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My hat blew off this afternoon for the second time this
> week - both on Hanger Lane Gyratory. This time I had to go
> round again to retrieve it.
>
> Earlier I was on Hillingdon cycle track, trying to go as
> fast as I could with the track to myself. It stayed on
> fine then.
>
> Mr. Murphy, get out of my life.

What you really need is something called a "lid leash". I
kid you not.

A friend brought one from USA after I had bemoaned that I
had to ride about 12 miles to retrieve my hat after it had
blown off on the Severn Bridge into the army camp below.
It's a length of cord, about 200mm with a small bulldog clip
at each end. One end clamps to your hat and the other to
your top. I have been much admired for the ease with which I
can fling off my hat whilst going up serious slopes without
losing it, or having to slow down and stuff it in a pocket.

At the top of the hill, you just reel it in and adjust your
hat for comfort. Simple, effective, and in my case at
least, cheap.

> Colin McKenzie
>
> --
> The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that it
> leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:59:44 +0100, "burt"
<[email protected]>:

>What you really need is something called a "lid leash". I
>kid you not.

I've seen yachties using somethign like that. Clips on the
hat and the clothing, dunnit?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Gonzalez wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:56:29 +0100, Colin McKenzie
>>My hat blew off this afternoon for the second time this
>>week - both on Hanger Lane Gyratory. This time I had to go
>>round again to retrieve it.
> Had you been wearing a helmet with the straps adjusted
> correctly, this would not have happened.

I'd have been all right in my usual headgear, which is
nothing, but I was out all day and needed the sun
protection.

Like the idea of a leash, though.

Colin McKenzie
--

Colin McKenzie wrote:

> My hat blew off this afternoon for the second time this
> week - both on Hanger Lane Gyratory. This time I had to go
> round again to retrieve it.
>
> Earlier I was on Hillingdon cycle track, trying to go as
> fast as I could with the track to myself. It stayed on
> fine then.

Is your hat stretched with age? My "lucky" Lotto cap
(because I never had an accident when wearing it and cycling
in central Birmingham) is about 15 years old and is sadly no
longer wearable in high winds.