or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DOMS vs. Injury

post #1 of 10
Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control: http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm
post #2 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

>MJuric None@Nowhere.com
>Date: 2/15/2004 4:45 PM Pacific Standar

Thanks for the response. As any active person uh... matures this will become a more and more
important question.

You comments refect my experience with one exception. I find that in some tendon injuries that the
pain is generalized or even telescopes for a day or two and then I can find the exact source. A good
example of this is a back pain that nagged me. I massaged the area and didn't get the expected
results. After a few days and by accident I discovered that the injured tendon was actually one of
my obliques, on my side.

Everytime this happens its a risk decision: dont' waste a training day versus making the injury
worse and losing many more training days.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control: http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm
post #3 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

Isiafs5 wrote:

> Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?

Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh
post #4 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

"Josh Steinberg" <jsteinbe@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> Isiafs5 wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a good short term way to distinguish DOMS from muscle/tendon injury?
>
> Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a lesser
extent) of muscle fibers.

It's strange that a doctor wouldn't have come across this term before! Especially a doctor that runs
regularly.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org
post #5 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/..._99/muscle.htm has the basics.

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" dfreeseS@NOBShvc.rr.com
post #6 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

In article <PTiYb.4092$Fp5.792@read1.cgocable.net>,
SwStudio <shhhh_secrets@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a lesser
>extent) of muscle fibers.

Theere seems to be some dispute about this. Steve Common posted an interesting link a while ago:
http://www.google.com.au/groups?selm...0hcf%404ax.com

Andrew Taylor
post #7 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

"Scott Williams" <swims@yewmich.edu> wrote in message
> SwStudio wrote:

> >>Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh
> >

> > Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a
> > lesser extent) of muscle fibers.
> >
> > It's strange that a doctor wouldn't have come across this term before! Especially a doctor that
> > runs regularly.
> >

> > cheers,
>
> Why? It seems like a pretty useless TLA to me, but sounds so much more scientific than "fatigue."
>
> Scott "Red" Ruffensore

Scott, my comments that I found it suprising that a doctor would not have come across the term
"DOMS" was not meant to be a way of saying, "I think DOMS is really important, 'need-to-know'
phenomenon, and I think everyone should know about it".

I could care less if it's important, real, fake, or some-thing in between. I merely was suprised
that someone in his profession (and a long-time runner) hadn't come across it before. I see the term
all the time.

I see the National Enquirer every week at the supermarket checkout counter - but if you had never
heard of that doesn't mean I believe the news written within, when I not my suprise at you not
having come across it before.

cheers,.
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org
post #8 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

> For me DOMS generally kicks in hard after around 40 hours.

For me, its been approximately my age in years as hours. It takes longer as get older.
post #9 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

SwStudio wrote:

> > Four responses so far and I still don't know what DOMS stands for. -- Josh
>
> Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a result of microscopic tearing (and also swelling, to a
> lesser extent) of muscle fibers.
>
> It's strange that a doctor wouldn't have come across this term before!

I know, surprising, but that's why I had to ask. -- josh
post #10 of 10

Re: DOMS vs. Injury

Doug Freese wrote:

> http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/..._99/muscle.htm has the basics.