About to get a HepCat!

PreciousBbird

New Member
Apr 12, 2003
I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners think of them?

A PeciousBbird riding a HepCat. Cool. Would you post some pictures please?

I'm not an owner, but from what I've read in the newsgroup the HepCat owners have all been pleased
with their bikes. So enjoy it and be sure to post those pictures.

skip

"PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a
> Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners think
> of them?

Get the seat stays. It will make the seat stiffer for climbing hills. "PreciousBbird"
> I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a
> Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners think
> of them?

"Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Get the seat stays. It will make the seat stiffer for climbing hills. "PreciousBbird"
> > I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a
> > Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners
> > think of them?
> >
> >Hi,
I've been riding a Taiko for several months now and love it. Recently I've converted it to SWB which
I'm told by Burley is very Hepcat like. While I did employ the speed struts in LWB mode and found
them to stiffen up the bike in a positive way, the SWB version rides more comfortably without them.
This of course is just my experience, you may be a more aggressive rider willing to trade off a less
plush ride for more power efficiency. The components on the Taiko are the same ones supplied with
the Hepcat. I love the rapid fire shifters and think the overall drive chain operates quietly and
flawlessly. I would recommend you ask whomever you purchase the bike from to switch out the
notorious rim eating Shimano brake pads for something more forgiving like Koolstops. Warning!! do
not even ride the bike before this is done, if you value keeping your rims gouge free.

Good luck, Gene

> > --

Originally posted by Gene Cosloy
"Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Get the seat stays. It will make the seat stiffer for climbing hills. "PreciousBbird"
I would recommend you ask whomever you purchase the bike from to switch out the
notorious rim eating Shimano brake pads for something more forgiving like Koolstops. Warning!! do
not even ride the bike before this is done, if you value keeping your rims gouge free.

Good luck, Gene

> > --

Thanks for the info. When I posted this, I had yet to finalize the deal. I now have finalized it and will have my beautiful new HepCat on Tuesday evening!! I spoke to the dealer about the pads and he said that the rims were machined differently on the 03's (smoother?) and I should be OK with the Shimano's. I will go with his recommendation, but I guess time will tell. I am not an aggressive rider - yet - so I think I will not get the stays for now. I am not even going to replace the pedals with my clipless pedals until I am darn well and comfortable on this new style of riding. I can just see myself tipping over and dinging up the seat!! I want to maintain a scratch/ding free bike as long as I can. I got fenders, a mirror, and a computer on it. I just realized I forgot to get the kickstand! Grrr. Thanks for the input!

"I can just see myself tipping over and dinging up the seat!!"

Ha! Spoken like a true bent-head... we worry more about our bikes than our bones.

You are obviously and justifiably excited about your new HepCat... enjoy!

Chere, GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a
> Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners think
> of them?

I have a Django and like it very much. You won't be disappointed.

Got one. Love it. Think about the rack adapter and throwing on a blackburn rack. When you begin
you MAY want to leave the back seat a little higher than the cool laid back position,
particularly if you will be cruising through traffic. This will give you a lot more stability at
lower speeds. As you relax and are able to sink back into the bike you can drop the seat back
down. It's a great bike.

PreciousBbird wrote:

> Gene Cosloy wrote:
> > "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Get the seat stays. It will make the seat stiffer for climbing hills. "PreciousBbird"
> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3e98afa2$1-
> > > [email protected]:[email protected]...
> > I would recommend you ask whomever you purchase the bike from to switch out the notorious rim
> > eating Shimano brake pads for something more forgiving like Koolstops. Warning!! do not even
> > ride the bike before this is done, if you value keeping your rims gouge free. Good luck, Gene

> Thanks for the info. When I posted this, I had yet to finalize the deal. I now have finalized it
> and will have my beautiful new HepCat on Tuesday evening!! I spoke to the dealer about the pads
> and he said that the rims were machined differently on the 03's (smoother?) and I should be OK
> with the Shimano's. I will go with his recommendation, but I guess time will tell. I am not an
> aggressive rider - yet - so I think I will not get the stays for now. I am not even going to
> replace the pedals with my clipless pedals until I am darn well and comfortable on this new style
> of riding. I can just see myself tipping over and dinging up the seat!! I want to maintain a
> scratch/ding free bike as long as I can. I got fenders, a mirror, and a computer on it. I just
> realized I forgot to get the kickstand! Grrr. Thanks for the input!

PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Gene Cosloy wrote:
> > "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Get the seat stays. It will make the seat stiffer for climbing hills. "PreciousBbird"
> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3e98afa2$1-
> > > [email protected]:[email protected]...
> > I would recommend you ask whomever you purchase the bike from to switch out the notorious rim
> > eating Shimano brake pads for something more forgiving like Koolstops. Warning!! do not even
> > ride the bike before this is done, if you value keeping your rims gouge free. Good luck, Gene

> Thanks for the info. When I posted this, I had yet to finalize the deal. I now have finalized it
> and will have my beautiful new HepCat on Tuesday evening!! I spoke to the dealer about the pads
> and he said that the rims were machined differently on the 03's (smoother?) and I should be OK
> with the Shimano's. I will go with his recommendation, but I guess time will tell. I am not an
> aggressive rider - yet - so I think I will not get the stays for now. I am not even going to
> replace the pedals with my clipless pedals until I am darn well and comfortable on this new style
> of riding. I can just see myself tipping over and dinging up the seat!! I want to maintain a
> scratch/ding free bike as long as I can. I got fenders, a mirror, and a computer on it. I just
> realized I forgot to get the kickstand! Grrr. Thanks for the input!

Just a cautionary note. While clipless pedals may prove to be a further complication while learning
to ride a new bent, they are important for saftey reasons. They tend to keep your feet on the pedals
during a fall. Much safer then letting your foot hit the ground and get swept under the bike as it
goes down. If you keep your feet firmly on the pedals and your bike goes down, the seat frame can
absorb much of the shock or damage. I vote for my precious feet and legs over my pretty Burley seat
frame anytime.

Gene

Originally posted by Gene Cosloy

Just a cautionary note. While clipless pedals may prove to be a further complication while learning
to ride a new bent, they are important for saftey reasons. They tend to keep your feet on the pedals
during a fall. Much safer then letting your foot hit the ground and get swept under the bike as it
goes down. If you keep your feet firmly on the pedals and your bike goes down, the seat frame can
absorb much of the shock or damage. I vote for my precious feet and legs over my pretty Burley seat
frame anytime.

Gene

I picked up my beautiful new HepCat last night, but unfortunately we were having horrid thunderstorms and I couldn't ride it. Now it is supposed to snow. *sigh* I am really torn on the clipless. What you say makes really good sense and the vision of me getting swept under the bike makes me think really hard about my decision. I am a musician and one of the reasons I bought a 'bent was for saving my hands and shoulders. But that would be quite an accident if I fell like you describe. Especially at the speeds I can easily achieve on this bike. I think I will ride it gently and slowly for a few days, then add the clipless and go go go!! Thanks again.

PreciousBbird wrote:
> ... I am a musician....

Since you purchased a HepCat, are you a jazz musician by any chance?

Originally posted by Tom Sherman
Since you purchased a HepCat, are you a jazz musician by any chance?

No, I am a classical flutist/piccoloist... The only improvisation I do is Baroque ornamentation...LOL But how could I resist such a fetching name and lovely yellow color? Not to mention the speed and sheer fun of riding it?

It has been raining here since I got it on Tuesday and I didn't want to get it wet, so I didn't take it out til tonight. It was 37 degrees, but what a blast!! I can't wait til I can really ride it well and see just how fast it will go. I went down a hill and without even pedaling it went 28! Then the chain fell off the front granny gear because I'm not used to switching gears on it. I was able to fix it, however and took it around the block again! SOOOOO fun!!!! Can't wait til tomorrow...:D

PreciousBbird, I think you made an outstanding choice. I think the HepCat is a great all around bike
and a good value! I too love that yellow! As an aside, my very small 12 year old daughter want to
take up the flute. Any advice as to how to get her started?

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

I just purchased a Hepcat from Ebay 2 weeks ago and can't be happier. I've put close to 200 miles on
it since last week. The seat was giving me fits (the lumbar support was in the wrong place, and it
leaned too far back) so I adapted a Rans seat to it. Now I think I've got the best of all worlds-
the best seat made, and the best value on the road, today. I've got 3 other bents (Linear LWB, Rans
Tailwind, and a homebuilt SWB), and this one will be my number one ride going forward.

On 13 Apr 2003 10:00:26 +0950, PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a
>Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners
>think of them?

Originally posted by Stratrider
As an aside, my very small 12 year old daughter want to
take up the flute. Any advice as to how to get her started?

Thanks for the good word on the HepCat! Now, as far as getting your daughter started on the flute, there are so many fine flutists all over the place, I think if you talked to a local band director or music store owner, they may be able to point you in the right direction. You mentioned she is very small - if she is very petite with short arms, there are beginning flutes that have curved headjoints (the place you blow into) that make it easier for smaller kids to play. Good luck! Flute is fun - but right now HepCat is funner...:D

Thanks for the advice. My daughter is small. A flute to accomodate her short arms should work
nicely. Enough of that. Enjoy your new ride.

Jim

Chuck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just purchased a Hepcat from Ebay 2 weeks ago and can't be happier. I've put close to 200 miles
> on it since last week. The seat was giving me fits (the lumbar support was in the wrong place, and
> it leaned too far back) so I adapted a Rans seat to it. Now I think I've got the best of all
> worlds- the best seat made, and the best value on the road, today. I've got 3 other bents (Linear
> LWB, Rans Tailwind, and a homebuilt SWB), and this one will be my number one ride going forward.
>
> On 13 Apr 2003 10:00:26 +0950, PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a
> >Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners think
> >of them?

The seat was giving
> me fits (the lumbar support was in the wrong place, and it leaned too far back) so I adapted a
> Rans seat to it. Now I think I've got the best of all worlds- the best seat made....

Hi Chuck,

What part of the Rans seat did you adapt? Seat Base/Base and back/just the back. I'd like to know
since I think the seat back could use some improvement: higher back, better lumbar support, etc.

Thanks, Gene (Taiko, BikeE NX)

I measured the distance on the Burley bracket that attaches to the Burley seat rail- about 2-5/8"
wide. I then took the Rans seat apart and relocated the two attachment L-brackets to the same width
as the Burley. I had to buy some 3/4" x 3/32" flat stock to act as a new seat bracket support (2 of
them) on the Rans seat because new holes have to be drilled wider to accommodate the wider Burley
seat rail. The old Rans seat support plates won't work (not long enough). I used the Burley QR bolt
and plastic rail guides and attached the modified Rans seat to the Burley rail. I had to shorten
the outside seat stays of the Rans seat by about 4" (use your judgment, here) using a tubing
cutter, and redrilling the adjustment hole. I attached the stays on the rear drop out holes (by the
rear axle) instead of where Burley attaches theirs (under the seat). It makes for a slightly
stiffer ride, but the seat feels absolutely solidly attached with no flex in the frame. Very
comfortable, very nice ride.

On 19 Apr 2003 07:24:36 -0700, [email protected] (Gene Cosloy) wrote:

>Chuck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> I just purchased a Hepcat from Ebay 2 weeks ago and can't be happier. I've put close to 200 miles
>> on it since last week. The seat was giving me fits (the lumbar support was in the wrong place,
>> and it leaned too far back) so I adapted a Rans seat to it. Now I think I've got the best of all
>> worlds- the best seat made, and the best value on the road, today. I've got 3 other bents (Linear
>> LWB, Rans Tailwind, and a homebuilt SWB), and this one will be my number one ride going forward.

>Hi Chuck,
>
>What part of the Rans seat did you adapt? Seat Base/Base and back/just the back. I'd like to know
>since I think the seat back could use some improvement: higher back, better lumbar support, etc.
>
>Thanks, Gene (Taiko, BikeE NX)

> I am brand new to recumbents, but I am about to buy a HepCat. What a FUN bike! I compared to a
> Giro and a few others, but this one seems to be best for what I want. Wondering what owners think
> of them?

I have had my HepCat for about a year now. The highs:) it is extremely well-made and has a good
ride-quality , especially for a shorter- wheelbase 'bent...the lows:( it takes a while to dial the
seat in just right(it took me a few extended rides to "get the feel") and it isn't quite as fast for
me compared to the Vision R44 which I also ride, though it's nearly a toss-up. I prefer the R44 for
bigger hills and the HepCat for more level and longer-distance riding. What do I commute on?
neither..I use my KettWeisel trike for that!

Chuck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I just purchased a Hepcat from Ebay 2 weeks ago and can't be happier. I've put close to 200 miles
> on it since last week. The seat was giving me fits (the lumbar support was in the wrong place, and
> it leaned too far back) so I adapted a Rans seat to it.

Not a good sign when you have to replace the seat on a brand new recumbent that you have paid big
bucks for. Almost any good recumbent replacement seat will cost around $200 to $300 and may or may
not be suited to a particular recumbent. As far as I'm concerned, if the manufacturer of the
recumbent can't get the seat right then I am not interested in his bicycle despite other good
qualities it may possess. The seat is a very big factor, if not the biggest factor, in all
recumbents. It would be ideal if recumbents were made in such a way that the customer could choose
his seat from among the varieties that are out there, but mostly the seat is an integral part of the
bike and substitutions are frought with difficulties.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota