or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

post #1 of 8
That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
otherwise, just the way it looks??

Experts to the rescue, please.
post #2 of 8

Re: How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

Nancree wrote:
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
> otherwise, just the way it looks??

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clafoutis

The Intarweb has spoken...

Looks like you are correct.

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ john@johngaughan.net
post #3 of 8

Re: How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

>(Nancree)
>
>That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
>otherwise, just the way it looks??

clafouti [kla-foo-TEE] Originally from the Limousin region, this country-French dessert is made by
topping a layer of fresh fruit with batter. After baking it's served hot, sometimes with cream. Some
clafoutis have a cakelike topping while others are more like a pudding. Though cherries are
traditional, any fruit such as plums, peaches or pears can be used.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd
edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

post #4 of 8

"Nancree" <nancree@aol.com> wrote in message
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
> otherwise, just the way it looks??
>
> Experts to the rescue, please.

It's pronounced just like you wrote it above. Cla-foo-tee.

kimberly
post #5 of 8

Nancree wrote:
> That's it--how do you pronounce it, please. If it is French, it would be "cla-foo-tee", but
> otherwise, just the way it looks??
>
> Experts to the rescue, please.

The same way the boorish husband aside Goldie Hawn's rich-***** wife in "Overboard!" pronounced the
name of that chick he had on the yaght (after she went overboard, of course). Cla-foo-tee!

Jill
post #6 of 8

Re: How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

Thank you so much !

Nancree
post #7 of 8

Re: How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?

Thank you, John

Nancre3

>Subject: Re: How do you pronounce "clafoutis" ?
post #8 of 8

Nancree wrote:
> Thank you, John

You're welcome. I wasn't sure how useful dictionary.com would be, it isn't exactly the most accurate
dictionary around. But it does agree with what other people said.

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ john@johngaughan.net
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home