Greetings from the medical tent

Anders Lustig

Guest
No doubt most of you who´ve ever run a marathon have seen
the medical tents in the finish area, but I can now boast of
having seen one from the inside.

I knew well before the start of the race that I seemed to
have a bit of bother with my stomach and it would be "fifty-
sixty" between whether it would be my day or not, so I´d
have to play it by ear at first.

I took it easy, 4:20-4:25, for the first 10K, I felt a bit
bloated and the sports drink didn´t seem to go down as
smoothly as it could, but I felt I could begin to give a
decent stab at the elusive sub-3 and upped the pace to 4:10-
4-15. It was quite nicely within my marathon zone, at least
according to my HRM,

However, it didn´t take long for the dreaded problems to
develop: the sports drink was sloshing around in my belly
and, at the same time, my bowels were trying to make un-
wanted movements. "Boy, you´re no Grete Waitz!" I said to
myself and vowed to continue the race as best I could, and
my sub-3 schedule wouldn´t allow it, anyway. (I didn´t fancy
sticking my fingers down my throat, either.)

The best I could do with a ballooning stomach and a tightly
held sphincter turned out to be around 4:30-4:40, depending.
At some point after 29K I rather abruptly found myself doing
a sort of ultra running shuffle with powerless legs and my
pace was now a pathetic 5:00-5:10; I didn´t feel like I´d
hit any kind of wall or that I had a bear to carry on my
back, but I didn´t even want to try to do better, I just
exchanged remarks with the other runners (who now included
slow half- marathoners whom I was now passing), spectators
and volunteers in an effort to make the time (to the
lavatory visit rather than to the finish as such) go faster.

The last 300 meters were on a track, but I had no interest
in making a good appearance on it, or fighting for position
againt a guy who dashed past me. Once I got a medal in my
hand I began to move towards the nearest loo, and once thus
relieved - it was very much like what I imagine "Montezuma´s
revenge" to be - I headed towards the hall one experience
richer - as I thought then. On the way there I had to stop
on the lawn, though, in a vain attempt to throw up - but I
didn´t think much of that, either.

Once inside I suddenly began to feel cold and started
shaking. "Odd," I thought, "maybe I really should ask the
medical folks whether they could spare an Imodium or two?"
But before I had completed my question, the medic had taken
a look at my shaking body (and my probably haggard face) and
told me to lie down on the mats: "No, buts. Just do it!" was
the curt response when I tried to object by pointing out
that I don´t feel the least bit dizzy or anything.

To cut the story short - after a very long intro:) - I had
my pulse, bloodpressure and blood sugar taken (probably just
in case) and a bag of Ringer´s solution dripped into my arm,
and a bag of glucose thrown into the bargain. I cannot say I
began to feel better, as I hadn´t felt bad in the first
place, but I definitely stopped freezing.

The service was good, the atmosphere convivial and I could
recommend an hour there to anyone:)

Anders

P.S. Oh, I finished in 3:16...

P.P. I spent the entire Saturday night and the best part
of Sunday having the most violent and belly-cramping
trots and throwing up whatever I´d tried to drink. I
don´t like to think of how weak I´d have felt
without the IV...

P.P.P. I´ll now take a few weeks of well-deserved R&R from
result-oriented running, but I have every intention
of being back...

"Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...
> No doubt most of you who´ve ever run a marathon have seen
> the medical tents in the finish area, but I can now boast
> of having seen one from the inside.

I'm not sure I'd like to see one of these from the inside,
but it's good that, after all, everything went well for you!

Were you used to drinking the sports drink you drank or was
it a first try, because on my first M I had almost the same
problem albeit I hadn't have to go to the medics, and it was
a first try at it... which I won't ever do again.

Take a good rest now, and you'll come back in good shape!

BTW, I also made a really bad race this week-end, I posted a
short RR under [Re: Training Week Ending June 20, 2004]

marko

> [...]
>
> To cut the story short - after a very long intro:) - I
> had my pulse, bloodpressure and blood sugar taken
> (probably just in case) and a bag of Ringer´s solution
> dripped into my arm, and a bag of glucose thrown into the
> bargain. I cannot say I began to feel better, as I hadn´t
> felt bad in the first place, but I definitely stopped
> freezing.
>
> The service was good, the atmosphere convivial and I could
> recommend an hour there to anyone:)
>

> Anders
>

> P.S. Oh, I finished in 3:16...
>
> P.P.S. I spent the entire Saturday night and the best
> part of Sunday having the most violent and belly-
> cramping trots and throwing up whatever I´d tried
> to drink. I don´t like to think of how weak I´d
> have felt without the IV...
>
> P.P.P.S I´ll now take a few weeks of well-deserved R&R
> from result-oriented running, but I have every

In article <[email protected]>,
Anders Lustig <[email protected]> wrote:
> P.S. Oh, I finished in 3:16...
>P.P.S. I spent the entire Saturday night and the best part
> of Sunday having the most violent and belly-cramping
> trots and throwing up whatever I'd tried to drink. I
> don't like to think of how weak I'd have felt
> without the IV...

Not the sort of race report you want to read, but at least
if you can run
3:16 in these circumstances, then sub-3 is very realistic
for autumn.

Andrew Taylor

Only a jogger would need medical attention because he had to
pinch a loaf. You should have thought about that before you
left the house......trailer.

quite the report, Anders. congrats on your "trotting"
....er, i mean completing the race. man, you pushed beyond
the limit, and i don't know how you can think about doing
this again so soon after such an awful feeling.

but good mental toughness - and clenching ability - on ya.

Cam

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote:

> [...]
> bargain. I cannot say I began to feel better, as I hadn´t
> felt bad in the first place, but I definitely stopped
> freezing.
>
> The service was good, the atmosphere convivial and I could
> recommend an hour there to anyone:)
>

> Anders
>

> P.S. Oh, I finished in 3:16...
>
> P.P.S. I spent the entire Saturday night and the best
> part of Sunday having the most violent and belly-
> cramping trots and throwing up whatever I´d tried
> to drink. I don´t like to think of how weak I´d
> have felt without the IV...
>
> P.P.P.S I´ll now take a few weeks of well-deserved R&R
> from result-oriented running, but I have every
> intention of being back...

[email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote:

>The best I could do with a ballooning stomach and a tightly
>held sphincter turned out to be around 4:30-4:40,

Cripes. Maybe it's living in France which gives a different
perspective on this but I could never run 20-some km with my
sphinx puckered (this is NOT a spoonerism), let alone at a
pace allowing me to get home in
3:16...

>P.P.P.S I´ll now take a few weeks of well-deserved R&R from
> result-oriented running, but I have every intention
> of being back...

If you're not now convinced that sub 3 is yours for the
taking, there's no saving you :)

FWIW A running partner, who's a good deal faster than me,
had the same kind of problem as you, at his marathon attempt
in Madrid. He just got his revenge, yesterday at Mont St
Michel, in 2:52.

Anders Lustig wrote:

> [...]
> the medical folks whether they could spare an Imodium or
> two?" But before I had completed my question, the medic
> had taken a look at my shaking body (and my probably
> haggard face) and told me to lie down on the mats: "No,
> buts. Just do it!" was the curt response when I tried to
> object by pointing out that I don=B4t feel the least bit
> dizzy or anything.
>=20
> To cut the story short - after a very long intro:) - I
> had my pulse, bloodpressure and blood sugar taken
> (probably just in case) and a bag of Ringer=B4s solution
> dripped into my arm, and a bag of glucose thrown into the
> bargain. I cannot say I began=20 to feel better, as I
> hadn=B4t felt bad in the first place, but I=20 definitely
> stopped freezing.=20
>=20
> The service was good, the atmosphere convivial and I could

WOW!

>=20
> P.P.S. I spent the entire Saturday night and the best
> part of Sunday having the most violent and belly-
> cramping trots and=20 throwing up whatever I=B4d
> tried to drink. I don=B4t like to think=20 of how
> weak I=B4d have felt without the IV...
>=20
> P.P.P.S I=B4ll now take a few weeks of well-deserved R&R
> from result-oriented running, but I have every
> intention of being back...

So was this some kind of illness, or dehydration, or
something else?

Just glad to hear you are okay. And then that time. I'm
just floored.

--=20 Ed Prochak running http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-
faq/ netiquette http://www.psg.com/emily.html
--
"Two roads diverged in a wood and I
I took the one less travelled by

Anders Lustig wrote:

> No doubt most of you who´ve ever run a marathon have seen
> the medical tents in the finish area, but I can now boast
> of having seen one from the inside.

Geez, this group's getting carried away with one upmanship
;) Trying to
top David's appendix? Although needing an IV is not a
laughing matter.
And here I thought you were one of the more sane people
here, Anders.

> P.S. Oh, I finished in 3:16...

Seriously. Congratulations on finishing in spite of
everything. Do you think it was something you ate before
hand, an oncoming illness, or fluid / electrolyte imbalance.
Sloshing stomach sounds like the latter.

> P.P.P.S I´ll now take a few weeks of well-deserved R&R
> from result-oriented running, but I have every
> intention of being back...

Yes, yikes, recover, and you'll come back stronger than
ever. Good luck with your recovery and things will go better
next time.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Anders Lustig wrote:

>No doubt most of you who´ve ever run a marathon have seen
>the medical tents in the finish area, but I can now boast
>of having seen one from the inside.

Hopefully - a never to be repeated experience...

>4-15. It was quite nicely within my marathon zone, at least
>according to my HRM,

bodes well for the future.

>However, it didn´t take long for the dreaded problems to
>develop: the sports drink was sloshing around in my belly
>and, at the same time, my bowels were trying to make un-
>wanted movements. "Boy, you´re no Grete Waitz!"

No - I don't think I could have reverted to her "tactics"
either. :)

>The best I could do with a ballooning stomach and a tightly
>held sphincter turned out to be around 4:30-4:40,
>depending.

I guess I would have made a port-a-potty stop - hard to
judge - thankfully I've never had *that* problem in a race.

> P.S. Oh, I finished in 3:16...

Great result in the circumstances! Even if you didn't
get to sing

>P.P.P.S I´ll now take a few weeks of well-deserved R&R from
> result-oriented running, but I have every intention
> of being back...

Without doubt. Sub-3 is there for the taking.

Anthony.

"Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected].. .
> However, it didn´t take long for the dreaded problems to
> develop: the sports drink was sloshing around in my belly
> and, at the same time, my bowels were trying to make un-
> wanted movements.

My knee jerk response to the sloshing stomach is too little
or too much salt. What did you drink pre race and what were
they serving on the course?

> To cut the story short - after a very long intro:) - I
> had my pulse, bloodpressure and blood sugar taken
> (probably just in case) and a bag of Ringer´s solution
> dripped into my arm, and a bag of glucose thrown into the
> bargain. I cannot say I began to feel better, as I hadn´t
> felt bad in the first place, but I definitely stopped
> freezing.

Sounds like classic dehydration especially with the
bloated stomach.

> The service was good, the atmosphere convivial and I could
> recommend an hour there to anyone:)

How about a salt cap and avoid the IV. :)

-DougF ...

"marko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Were you used to drinking the sports drink you drank or
> was it a first try, because on my first M I had almost the
> same problem albeit I hadn't have to go to the medics, and
> it was a first try at it... which I won't ever do again.

FWIW I´ve never had any problems with Extran, but it was
definitely a case of a bug that I´d caught: the symptoms
were there before the race, although I hoped I wouldn´t be
wrong to dismiss them as a mïnor side-effect of carbo-

> BTW, I also made a really bad race this week-end, I posted
> a short RR under [Re: Training Week Ending June 20, 2004]

If you don´t mind my saying so, it felt kind of good to read
about another pretty dismal racing episode:)

Anders

[email protected] (Andrew Taylor) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Not the sort of race report you want to read,

You know, during that kind of race one´s thoughts can roam
rather freely and at one point it occurred to me that the
worst thing about this whole sad but nor unhumorous tale
would be that I´d have to bring disappointment to all those
in rec.running who would rather read a success story:)

> but at least if you can run 3:16 in these circumstances,
> then sub-3 is very realistic for autumn.

At least I´ll know that it´s smart to consume tons of
"functional" lactic acid bacteria, especially following a
dose of antibiotics...

But, seriously, I too think my cloud had a silver lining in
that I didn´t seem to have the least inkling of a cramp or
any DOMS to speak off - I *could´ve* hopped up and down
stairs without any difficulty:) OTOH I can´t be quite sure
whether that was so because I´ve improved on that critical
factor or because I run such a major part of the marathon at
such submaximal level that I wasn´t really supposed to get
any, anyway...

The sub-3 is still very much in the program and on the near
horizon via a few halfmarathons and crosscountry races!

Anders

steve common <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Cripes. Maybe it's living in France which gives a
> different perspective on this but I could never run 20-
> some km with my sphinx puckered (this is NOT a
> spoonerism), let alone at a pace allowing me to get home
> in
> 3:16...

That could be also because the tale always grows a bit
taller in the telling or because the sensations during the
latter stages can the memories of the earlier ones.´ It
cannot really have been all that bad all of the time,
because I´m no yoga wizard, swami or whatever, who could lie
on a bed of nails, so to speak.

All I can know is that somehow I could think either that "I
don´t have to stop until the next suitable spot" or that "I
cannot stop here in front of these people!":)

> If you're not now convinced that sub 3 is yours for the
> taking, there's no saving you :)

I´m afraid I could be marked for life and doomed to
producing self-induced failures one after another by a
certain sporting episode that grew larger than life in my
mind in my boyhood - it can well be I´ll find ever new ways
how *not* to go sub-3!

> FWIW A running partner, who's a good deal faster than me,
> had the same kind of problem as you, at his marathon
> attempt in Madrid. He just got his revenge, yesterday at
> Mont St Michel, in 2:52.

There´s nothing like a true life success story one can seek
to emulate:)

Anders

onemarathon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> quite the report, Anders. congrats on your "trotting"
> ....er, i mean completing the race. man, you pushed beyond
> the limit, and i don't know how you can think about doing
> this again so soon after such an awful feeling.

The thing is I didn´t really feel awful until during the
following night and the next day: during the run it was
more like "I´d rather not be in this situation feeling like
this!" and afterwards "I don´t really need this medical
attention, but since these people are so nice I´ll just
play along!".

In hindsight, it would´ve been smarter:

a) to take one Imodium before the race (the symptoms were
already in evidence and the medication wouldn´t have been
harmful in any way - although it wouldn´t have prevented
the dehydration, either),

b) to stop at a portaloo or any suitable spot ASAP (it
could´ve made the running a bit more relaxed, if not
anything else), or

c) to switch to water instead of sports drink (it could´ve
helped at least some of the liquid to be absorbed).

Or possibly: d) when in doubt, to calmly accept a DNS
(especially when the organizers are quite willing to
transfer your entry to the next year on such medical
grounds).

Anders

"Dot" <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anders Lustig wrote:

> Geez, this group's getting carried away with one upmanship
> ;) Trying
> top David's appendix? Although needing an IV is not a
> laughing matter. And here I thought you were one of the
> more sane people here,
Anders.

Sheeet, I'm the only sane person here, ask my shrink!

-DougF

Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Geez, this group's getting carried away with one upmanship
> ;) Trying to top David's appendix? Although needing an IV
> is not a laughing matter.

I don´t think there are too many of us here who can honestly
say that upmanship is completely alien to their nature:)

But I do know there is a difference between discomfort,
however acure, and real distress: if it had been my
appendix, I´d have performed self-appendectomy on the
roadside and continued to finish the marathon as planned
under three hours!

This option was unfortunately unavailable to David - so I´m
not suggesting that he simply lacked the guts to do it -
because he would´ve been unable to cut through the layer of
fat he has (like all but one poster here does - apart from
me) with any available tool...

Seriously, there is an aspect of "combat story" to this
that I cannot deny. It kind of peeves me now that there was
no-one to take a photograph of me making a rather urgent
visit to the loo with a volunteer holding the IV bag
following me:)

I´m still not convinced I *needed* the IV or that my
condition really warranted the medical attention at all -
I´m inclined to think that it was a case of professional
myopia - they weren´t really prepared to see anyone as
anything but a "potential customr":) - but I have no
regrets, the long hours that followed back home were bad
enough as they happened.

BTW they did have a couple of "real" cases: a guy for whom
the hall had begun to spin around and who was rather quiet -
and her girlfriend who finished 40 min later and came in to
see him and ended up under the blankets as well:) More
seriously, when I finished my race at the end of the back
straight there were medics working on an older male
halfmarathoner who´d collpased (but fortunately it didn´t
look like a cardiac arrest).

> And here I thought you were one of the more sane people
> here, Anders.

As they say: love goes out the window when the money runs
out - and sanity leaves your head when you pin a race number
on your chest:)

Anders

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> My knee jerk response to the sloshing stomach is too
> little or too much salt. What did you drink pre race and
> what were they serving on the course?

Maybe the "sloshing" was my English vocabulary leading my
description on a string too much. I´ve had the "too much or
too little" and then it was more like an outer ball lining
being overinflated and an inner lining sort of collapsed and
turning around uncomfortably with its liquid contents. On
Saturday both linings were in "high pressure".

My pre-race "eating and drinking plan" was as per SOP:
blueberry soup (which has some salt) and water in small
portions and modest amounts until the last full hour and 4dl
of water 5 minutes before the start. Tried and worked in
races and in training. Extran likewise (and in Forssa the
volunteers are regulars who have a well-deserved reputation
for care and attention).

Besides, IMHO the porblems were evident far too early
- but I´m not sayiong that you knee jerk response was
unreasonable:)

Anders

"Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...
> > BTW, I also made a really bad race this week-end, I
> > posted a short RR
under
> > [Re: Training Week Ending June 20, 2004]
>
> If you don´t mind my saying so, it felt kind of good to
> read about another pretty dismal racing episode:)

I don't mind at all ;-) If I had hit 39' I would have been
upset, but with such a bizarre race and result, I'm beyond
the point where I can complain about anything, so I tend to
look at my race with detachment :)))

marko

Anders Lustig wrote:

> But, seriously, I too think my cloud had a silver lining
> in that I didn´t seem to have the least inkling of a cramp
> or any DOMS to speak off - I *could´ve* hopped up and down
> stairs without any difficulty:)

That was certainly my experience after my dismal Edinburgh
showing. It seems clear that if you race a marathon at well
below your capabilities, it doesn't knacker your legs
anything like as much. I *did* run down stairs the next day
without any difficulty and raced a 10K 4 days afterwards.
Not as well as I might have, but decently enough.

Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Doug Freese wrote:
> "Dot" <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:fcQBc.14984$OB3.12390@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>Anders Lustig wrote:
>

>>Geez, this group's getting carried away with one upmanship
>>;) Trying

>>top David's appendix? Although needing an IV is not a
>>laughing matter. And here I thought you were one of the
>>more sane people here,
>
> Anders.
>
> Sheeet, I'm the only sane person here, ask my shrink!

This could be. But I used a gradient ("more sane").
OTOH, are you so sane that you've wrapped around to the
insane side? ;)

Dot