Baby food - cooking with dried apricots

Rebecca

Guest
Hi all,

I have found a few baby recipes (my little one is 8 months
old) using dried apricots.

This is going to sound really daft, but do I need to
rehydrate them first? I only ask as they seem really
rubbery dried and even mashed, I can't see them being
chewable with no teeth!

Anyones advice/ thoughts would be much sppreciated. Many
thanks Rebecca

>(Rebecca) writes:
>
>I have found a few baby recipes (my little one is 8 months
>old) using dried apricots.
>
>This is going to sound really daft, but do I need to
>rehydrate them first? I only ask as they seem really
>rubbery dried and even mashed, I can't see them being
>chewable with no teeth!
>
>Anyones advice/ thoughts would be much sppreciated.

Feeding an 8 month old dehydrated fruit will in all
probability casue the child to suffer severe intestinal
distress, by dehydrating the child... besides that most
dehydrated fruit is chemically treated to prevent
discoloration... I STRONGLY suggest you query your
Pediatrition. Meanwhile ... nah, I'm going to be good and
not mention your apricot colored 36D bra. ;)

---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =--- ---= Move
UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
tribulation." Sheldon ````````````

"Rebecca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have found a few baby recipes (my little one is 8 months
> old) using dried apricots.
>
> This is going to sound really daft, but do I need to
> rehydrate them first? I only ask as they seem really
> rubbery dried and even mashed, I can't see them being
> chewable with no teeth!

I suppose it depends on the recipe. If they are baked or
cooked in a recipe with a lot of moisture, then they
should re-hydrate in the process. If I were going to feed
them to a toothless person of any age, I would re-hydrate
them first. You can put them in an appropriate container,
cover them with water, and bring them to a boil. Remove
from heat and let cool. You can do this on the range top
or in the microwave. If you can add some sugar and a
little lemon juice and puree the re-hydrated fruit to make
filling for pastry.

>Hi all,
>
>I have found a few baby recipes (my little one is 8 months
>old) using dried apricots.
>
>This is going to sound really daft, but do I need to
>rehydrate them first? I only ask as they seem really
>rubbery dried and even mashed, I can't see them being
>chewable with no teeth!
>
>Anyones advice/ thoughts would be much sppreciated. Many
>thanks Rebecca

HI Rebecca :) I made all of the baby food for both of my
little ones (currently 5yo and 1yo) You probably need to re
hydrate the apricots, they can be sticky and gummy for a
baby to try to chew. Even when mixed w/ other foods. To re
hydrate, boil water, drop in the apricots, turn off the
stove and put a lid on the pan. When the water cools to a
temp you can touch, they should be done. Also, be aware that
sulfur is used to dry most apricots, you don't want the ones
w/ sulfur for your baby. Good luck! :) ~Kat

"The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets
the cheese."

Rebecca wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have found a few baby recipes (my little one is 8 months
> old) using dried apricots.
>
> This is going to sound really daft, but do I need to
> rehydrate them first? I only ask as they seem really
> rubbery dried and even mashed, I can't see them being
> chewable with no teeth!

I would use the unsulfured apricots...the ones that look
like really flat apricot road-kill. I would pour boiling
water over them and let them soften. Leaving them overnight
will really soften them. My little guy got teeth early, and
never had any trouble chewing up or choking on anything,
although we watched him like a hawk. He wanted something of
everything we ate (still does) and would bite off little
bits of dried apricot and eat them. The skin came out
unchanged in the stool. Every baby is different, and I would
guess by eight months you'd have had other fibrous things
going in him. If not, don't start with this. Kiddo was and
is wild about blueberries, eating nearly pint in a sitting,
easy, and he's not yet two. blacksalt

"Rebecca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have found a few baby recipes (my little one is 8 months
> old) using dried apricots.
>
> This is going to sound really daft, but do I need to
> rehydrate them first? I only ask as they seem really
> rubbery dried and even mashed, I can't see them being
> chewable with no teeth!
>
> Anyones advice/ thoughts would be much sppreciated. Many
> thanks Rebecca

I would buy apricots from the fruit and vegie section
fresh.. Much nicer and taster in my opnion. Then again your
child might be like my son and be allergic to them.

Nik

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Also, be aware that sulfur is used to dry most apricots,
> you don't want the ones w/ sulfur for your baby.

And a good way to tell whether they've been treated with
sulfur or not is by the color: if they're bright orange,
they are. If they're not treated with sulfur, they're brown.
Not very attractive looking, which is why you rarely see
them marketed that way, except maybe in a natural
foods/organic produce type store.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.