or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

dumb fat person post - Page 2

post #16 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

"Redfoot" <no_spam@spam.org> wrote:
> Hi, my brother talked me into signing up for a 7-day / 6-night mountain bike ride from Telluride,
> CO to Moab, UT coming up early June (mostly fire trails). Trouble is that as a parent of a very
> young child, and also finishing up a graduate degree in EE and working fulltime, I've become
> grossly overwight and have not train in almost a year. I'm 6'0" tall and 240 pounds, yeah I'm
> normally heavyset anyweigh (usually around 200 even if at fighting weight) but I am scared now
> because I'm afraid I won't be able to cut it unless I seriously lose some weight and get training.

Sounds like your body type is lots like mine. I found myself being uncomfortably overweight about 8
years ago, after finishing up grad school and then living through the first year of a tough new job.

My advice will be hard to follow, because of your life's time constraints. The demands on your time
won't go away. You'll just have to budget carefully.

Obviously, you'll need to get more exercise for both goals, losing weight, and being prepared to
live through your bike tour. Here's the main key: you need to have longer exercise sessions than
what you may be used to.

Busy people generally work out for less than an hour, especially when they count in the getting
cleaned up afterwords and travelling to/from where they work out. This does *not* cut the
mustard (or fat).

It will hurt getting to the point where you can do it, but you need to double your heart rate, and
keep it up there for over an hour. More time is better.

When you start working out, your body burns energy out of blood sugar. It takes half hour, maybe
45 minutes to go through all that available energy to coax your body into burning fat directly
as energy.

It may seem like a short-cut to just be hungry when you start working out. Bad idea--there has to be
something readily available for your muscles to use as energy during the first part of the workout
or they'll start consuming their own tissue. As a friend of mine who understands the physiology of
this says, "you need to build a fat-burning fire". The initial blood sugar is the kindling.

Diet is important, but you can't just stop eating. You just have to eat smarter. Once you get
your body used to actually doing physical work, your appetite will change. I promise. I've been
through it.

The good news for you is this: you don't have to get down to 200 lbs to be ready for this ride. You
can be 'in shape' and still be overweight. It's a great deal more *fun* to be at a closer-to-ideal
weight, trust me, but you can still function and ride all day, albeit at your own pace, when you're
carrying more meat than you should.

I have fought weight all my life. Back in the 90s when I found myself getting too damned fat, I
turned it around. I'm 6'1". I got up to about
235. Then in about 5 months I lost 35 pounds. I exercised it off. I did a few things to my diet,
like cutting out ice cream and other obvious things, but I didn't consciously cut portions or
take on a formal diet (like Atkins). I ate what I felt like eating. Still do. As long as I'm in
decent shape, my appetite controls itself. Once I start to get fat, it's a vicious cycle
because I'm hungry all the time, and bad food sounds good.

Once I got down below 200 lbs, I got interested in racing. Then I got interested in training for
racing. I changed the way that I ride, from little short ****-around rides of less than 90 minutes
to lo-o-o-ong rides. I've never been more than 210 lbs since then.

I get a little soft every winter, then I get onto a trainer and sweat in place, sometimes for nearly
3 hours at a time. Being on a trainer helps when you're desperate to get more out of the workout,
because you can much more easily stay at an exertion level that will actually burn fat. Use an HRM
if you need to. It helped me get started, but I don't really need one any more. I know how it feels
when I'm working hard enough. The fat melts off. Once I'm into the season I can set a pace and keep
it all damned day. Used to be that I'd really get tired after 2 hours or so. But that's because I
never trained for the longer haul.

Good luck. Hope the advice helps. You can do it if you want to.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
Salida, CO

Re: dumb fat person post

RE/
>Yes

But...

How about riding every day and extending your ride times day-after-day?

Then, by the time the big day rolls around, you'll be in a position to assess your ability to do
it...and either go for it or decline as common sense dictates.
--
PeteCresswell
post #18 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

I would second John's advice about Weight Watchers. Their online-only program has been a blessing to
me. I had no desire to go to the meetings, so the online program was perfect. Having tried (and
failed) just about every diet out there, I was pretty skeptical, but WW has been pretty easy to
stick with (eat what you want, just keep track of how MUCH - it's all about balance). The online
tools are very cool and will help you track what you eat, excercise, weight goals, etc. The online
community there is awesome and couldn't be more supportive!

Even with a small amount of "cheating" I have lost 97 lbs since last May and am now getting back
into biking. I still have about 50 pounds to go but now I know I can do it. After riding a K2
comfort bike for a few months I am now the owner of a new GT I-drive 3.0 - nice bike but with a very
hard seat for my fat ass!

All I need now is to find mt bike shoes in size 15 or 16!

Good luck with your goals (that goes for everyone).

Mike

"John Michaels" <hpnotst@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> A lot of people here have given you well intention advice. God, I wish losing weight was a simple
> as those who posted made it out to be.
>
> First, thing, check out Weight Watchers site. They have what you are looking for. Their program
> encourages exercise and rewards those who are active. They have an online program and some great
> support. There is also several news groups on the topic.
>
> Second, you need to change your self image. This is the part that most in Mtn biking group will
> not be able to address. Not a put down just it is not the focus of the group. Yes, WW has a
> section for that. There is a big mental aspect to serious weight loss. Ask Oprah.
>
> How do I know this? I have lost a 128 lbs on weight watchers and have used bicycling as a tool to
> help me do it. Today, I use both to maintain my weight. Have gone in a year from struggling to do
> a metric century or just do a fairly decent trail ride to training for my first double century. I
> can keep up with most on the hills. My point is not to brag but to show I speak from personal
> experience. I know that what you want to do is possible and you have the tools to do it.
post #19 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
> On 2004-02-22, Westie penned:
> >
> > I'm sure you can do it, and don't worry about the weight thing - it will come off as a
> > consequence of riding a lot. Eat healthy but don't obsess about it. Just stay away from the KFC
> > and beer (sob!) ride as much as you can for the next 13 weeks. Nothing prepares you for lots of
> > riding like lots of riding. I just hope you can find the time...
>
> God, KFC. Driving to the soon-to-be in-laws, we stopped at a KFC for dinner. After the meal, I
> made the mistake of looking at their calorie chart. Did the math ...
>
> Yeah, that was easily a 1300 calorie meal. And it was like, the two-piece deal, or something.
>
> KFC is bad. (But so, so good.)

Popeyes.
post #20 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

Redfoot wrote:
> Hi, my brother talked me into signing up for a 7-day / 6-night mountain bike ride from Telluride,
> CO to Moab, UT coming up early June (mostly fire trails). Trouble is that as a parent of a very
> young child, and also finishing up a graduate degree in EE and working fulltime, I've become
> grossly overwight and have not train in almost a year. I'm 6'0" tall and 240 pounds, yeah I'm
> normally heavyset anyweigh (usually around 200 even if at fighting weight) but I am scared now
> because I'm afraid I won't be able to cut it unless I seriously lose some weight and get training.
>
> I was wondering if someone could point me to a resource which would not only recommend some good
> training regimen, but also spellout a good diet for losing some extra weight. Ideally an online
> "diary" type of thing where I could input my food for the day, it would count calories, and also
> what I did in the gym or on the road that day. Or does it make sense to hire a personal trainer
> for this?
>
> Sorry if I come across like an idiot - but maybe I am! Is it too much to expect to lose 40 pounds
> in 3+ months and also get into reasonalbe shape to finish the ride? It's probably 35 miles a day
> at avg. 8000 t. elevation - I'm not looking to set any records, but I don't want to die of
> exhaustion either.
>
> TIA,
>
> Fat Red

Ride the bike, ride the bike, ride the bike. You'll benefit more on your ride from being strong
with good endurance than losing all the weight. You'll probably loose a lot anyway. Don't live on
pizza and beer in the mean time. Everyone knows (well almost everyone knows) what a sensible diet
is. Eat one.

Hypocritically Yours ;-) Shawn
post #21 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

mojo deluxe <voudin61@hellsouth.nett> wrote:
> "Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
>>
> Popeyes.

Dude, that's just wrong. Now I've got that little jingle in my head for the rest of the day.

Tom (Love that chicken from Popeyes......)
post #22 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

tcmedara retorted :
> mojo deluxe <voudin61@hellsouth.nett> wrote:
>> "Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
>>>
>> Popeyes.
>
> Dude, that's just wrong. Now I've got that little jingle in my head for the rest of the day.
>
> Tom (Love that chicken from Popeyes......)

my kids told me that KFC is no longer legally allowed to call thier product "chicken" . Whether
that's true or not, it's horrifying...

penny
post #23 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

Slacker wrote:
> tcmedara wrote:
>> mojo deluxe <voudin61@hellsouth.nett> wrote:
>>> "Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Popeyes.
>>
>> Dude, that's just wrong. Now I've got that little jingle in my head for the rest of the day.
>>
>> Tom (Love that chicken from Popeyes......)
>

> Dude, she's a chick not a dude.

Dude, Mojo Deluxe wrote it, not Monique.

Bill "attribution out window around here" S.
post #24 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

Penny S wrote:

> my kids told me that KFC is no longer legally allowed to call thier product "chicken" .

Erm, wouldn't that mean they'd now be KF?

> Whether that's true or not, it's horrifying...

Why would it be horrifying if it isn't true?

Me thinks your kids have been taking those urban legends without the necessary pinch of salt:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.htm
post #25 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

S o r n i <sorni@bite-me.san.rr.com> wrote:

>> Dude, she's a chick not a dude.
>
> Dude, Mojo Deluxe wrote it, not Monique.
>
> Bill "attribution out window around here" S.

Sorry, shoulda trimmed better.

Tom (contrite on a Sunday)
post #26 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

bomba wrote:

> Me thinks your kids have been taking those urban legends without the necessary pinch of salt:
> http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.htm

<edit> /haven't/ </edit
post #27 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

tcmedara wrote:
> S o r n i <sorni@bite-me.san.rr.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Dude, she's a chick not a dude.
>>
>> Dude, Mojo Deluxe wrote it, not Monique.
>>
>> Bill "attribution out window around here" S.
>
> Sorry, shoulda trimmed better.
>
> Tom (contrite on a Sunday)

As penance lift your elbow 3/4" out from your hip bone

Bill "Usenet P.T." S.
post #28 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

"tcmedara" <tcmedara@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> mojo deluxe <voudin61@hellsouth.nett> wrote:
> > "Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
> >>
> > Popeyes.
>
> Dude, that's just wrong. Now I've got that little jingle in my head for
the
> rest of the day.
>
> Tom (Love that chicken from Popeyes......)

Sorry dude. Maybe it'll help to go to your local Popeyes, and order a three piece with a large side
of red beans.
post #29 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

S o r n i <sorni@bite-me.san.rr.com> wrote:

> As penance lift your elbow 3/4" out from your hip bone
>
> Bill "Usenet P.T." S.

Sadist! Of course, that's what it takes to be a physical therapist anyway, doesn't it?

....and notice the nice trimming job, that should bet me a reprive.

Tom (I know, it's for my own good)
post #30 of 51

Re: dumb fat person post

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

>>>Me thinks your kids have been taking those urban legends without the necessary pinch of salt:
>>>http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.htm
>>
>><edit> /haven't/ </edit>
>

> No, I think "have" is right there. Note the "without."

/hat /coat

Goodbye
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home