or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

post #1 of 7
I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

Thanks,

Doc.
post #2 of 7

Re: Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, mightywebsmiths@yahoo.com (DoctorK)
wrote:

>I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
>in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
>crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
>frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Doc.

We eat them cold. Break off the heads & shell & use a mayo-based dip of your choice.

Boron
post #3 of 7

DoctorK wrote:
> I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
> carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
> uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're
> not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doc.

Yes, you could heat them up that way; toss them in boiling water just long enough to heat through.
Don't overcook or, you're right, they could become tough.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Jill
post #4 of 7

Re: Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

A "few minutes" is too long. You just want to defrost and barely heat them through.
------------------

>s seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
>If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not frozen. Would I
>just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
post #5 of 7

Tara wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, mightywebsmiths@yahoo.com (DoctorK) wrote:
>
>> I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
>> carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
>> uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these?
>> They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
>
> I would steam them in a colander over simmering water to reheat.
>
> Tara

Double boiler trick, perhaps. Funny, while I was awake early this morning with a sick cat Bert Wolf
was on PBS talking about double boilers, toast, burgers and cheese sauce. I ran into the man at an
office building when I was about 28 years old; he used to live in Memphis. He gave me the look-see
and asked if I knew anything about cooking as I walked down the steps. I just smiled.
post #6 of 7

wrote:

>I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
>in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
>crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
>frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

They're from China and/or SE Asia. They've been cooked to death,frozen, thawed, frozen again, thawed
again, rinse and repeat.

Throw them away. Or just don't buy them.

-sw
post #7 of 7

wrote:

>I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
>in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
>crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
>frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Doc.

If you are having a "Crawfish Boil" just put them in the pot ( with the corn,potatoes,ect) for the
last minute to warm up.

If you just wish to use the Crawfish (no boil), peel and use in etouffee.

Steaming would be good if reheating the full bugs alone. Pan Ohco
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition