FSA Crank and BB

Scottw44

Guest
Hi There:

I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.

My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus.

Opinions please on how this compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can
expect to see.

tia,

scott

[email protected]

scott-<< I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.

My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus. << Opinions please on how this
compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can expect to see.

The only difference you will see will be 'what you see'...no performance differences at all...

Both are efficient, light, well made stuff.

"scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:n9%[email protected]...
> Hi There:
>
> I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.
>
> My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus.
>
> Opinions please on how this compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can
> expect to see.
>
> tia,

You can see differences in manufacture and finish but it will not make any difference whatsoever in
your performance!

About $200 difference in prices, or more.

"scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:n9%[email protected]...
> Hi There:
>
> I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.
>
> My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus.
>
> Opinions please on how this compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and what differences I can
> expect to see.
>
> tia,
>
> scott
>
> [email protected]

Thanks folks for the opinions. I have Campy Daytona 10 speed on my bike and became enamored
with the FSA.

I am soon in need of a BB, and was considering getting a new crank at the same time.

Knowing that I have a Daytona Crank, would the FSA be an improvement over it?

Should I get a Chorus Crank w/ my new BB...or is that pretty much what I have minus a few grams?

OK, BB's...I think I like the FSA titanium Isis, which is about the same dollars as a RECORD bb. Am
I thinking in the right direction?

Do we like one over another...or perhaps even another contender?

tia,

scott

> scottw44-<< I am considering the FSA Pro Team Crank and Ti Bottom Bracket.
>
> My concern is efficiency, the weight savings is just a bonus. << Opinions please on how this
> compares to Campy Chorus Crank and BB and
what
> differences I can expect to see.

> The only difference you will see will be 'what you see'...no performance differences at all...
>
> Both are efficient, light, well made stuff.

Peter and all...

What I am looking to accomplish is efficiency and have heard from several that a change in crank and
bb would achieve this.

As this seemed a bit odd, I turned to the group for answers.

My tpical rides are 50-80 miles, 20-23 mph, and I am looking at avenues to increase efficiency and
power transfer.

From the results, it seems the consensus is that such a crank and bb change will cost dollars, but
not improve my performance. Would that be correct?

The reason I ask is sveral in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to be
flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
benefit from the change.

scott

[email protected]

Scott W? writes:

> What I am looking to accomplish is efficiency and have heard from several that a change in crank
> and BB would achieve this.

Don't let these guys intimidate you. Ask them how this should alter your efficiency.

> As this seemed a bit odd, I turned to the group for answers.

I see you ask fairly anonymously. These equipment faithful have got you under their spell already.

> My typical rides are 50-80 miles, 20-23 mph, and I am looking at avenues to increase efficiency
> and power transfer.

That is irrelevant. Where is the energy that is being sapped from your output being lost? That
is the appropriate question. What would change if you rode the same course with a different BB
and cranks?

> From the results, it seems the consensus is that such a crank and BB change will cost dollars, but
> not improve my performance. Would that be correct?

Let's back up one question. Where is the inefficiency occurring and how does the power dissipate if
it's not getting into the chain and to the rear wheel?

> The reason I ask is several in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to be
> flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
> benefit from the change.

My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when driving
down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar effect.

>>The reason I ask is several in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to be
>>flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
>>benefit from the change.
>

> My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
> attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when driving
> down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar effect.

And what is wrong with that? This actually brings up a good question. Is there a placebo training
effect from spending money on your equipment? Does buying that new bike really make you feel like
riding more and/or harder? Do those cool looking boutique wheels give you some
psychological boost that actually results in performance improvement? Would you get the same
improvement (or decline) if someone gave you the new equipment or does the act of spending
money help?

My own personal experience would suggest that there may be a fleeting placebo effect. If I buy
something new and I feel better while riding, it can actually lead to training harder and making
real improvements. It's sort of a plecebo booster effect.

Just my $0.02...

Dave Andersen

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:zf%[email protected]...

> My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
> attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when driving
> down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar effect.

Thanks...this is exactly my fear and I am far from afluent. Buying these cranks means no new shrubs
for the house so it's not as if money is no object for me.

scott

Jobst said...
> > My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
> > attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when
> > driving down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar
> > effect.

So Dave said...
> And what is wrong with that? This actually brings up a good question. Is there a placebo training
> effect from spending money on your equipment? Does buying that new bike really make you feel like
> riding more and/or harder? Do those cool looking boutique wheels give you some
> psychological boost that actually results in performance improvement? Would you get the same
> improvement (or decline) if someone gave you the new equipment or does the act of spending
> money help?
>
> My own personal experience would suggest that there may be a fleeting placebo effect. If I buy
> something new and I feel better while riding, it can actually lead to training harder and making
> real improvements. It's sort of a plecebo booster effect.
>
> Just my $0.02...
>
> Dave Andersen

Unfortunately, the placebo effect tends to wear off if you know it is a placebo. If you want it to
work, you have to somehow convince yourself that the treatment is actually doing something. Maybe
your second point is more relevant - you tend to use your equipment when it is functioning properly
(or when you think it is).

I don't know why people think spending loads of money will make them ride much faster - elite
athletes excepted. I admit to being a hacker, but it feels good to overtake people on bikes that
cost five times as much... of course there are some riders that blast past me on their pricey
bikes... (must be the bike, I tell myself ;) ).

Ritch.

In article <[email protected]>, VeloCat <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >>The reason I ask is several in my Saturday group recently made this change and they all seem to
> >>be flying these past few weeks. I am trying to determine if it is a placebo effect or a realized
> >>benefit from the change.
> >

> > My local car wash has said with perfect candor that "A clean car drives better" and we can all
> > attest to that. I'm sure you have noticed how much better you feel about the universe when
> > driving down the avenue in your freshly washed car. New and expensive cranks have a similar
> > effect.
> >

> And what is wrong with that? This actually brings up a good question. Is there a placebo training
> effect from spending money on your equipment? Does buying that new bike really make you feel like
> riding more and/or harder? Do those cool looking boutique wheels give you some
> psychological boost that actually results in performance improvement? Would you get the same
> improvement (or decline) if someone gave you the new equipment or does the act of spending
> money help?
>
> My own personal experience would suggest that there may be a fleeting placebo effect. If I buy
> something new and I feel better while riding, it can actually lead to training harder and making
> real improvements. It's sort of a plecebo booster effect.
>
> Just my $0.02...
>
> Dave Andersen

Dave, have I got a product for you!

The Placeboton speed boosters may look like ordinary bike computer magnets, but they are much more.
By inducing a flux vortex around the spinning wheels, they actually increase your acceleration and
top speed. This works by affecting your mind such that you feel faster, which improves your
performance, in some cases by over 10% in a short TT.

Our satisfied customers included celebrity endorser Fabrizio Mazzoleni, who used this product when
he won the 2002 Tour de Reves.

The price is only US$150 per kit, but please note that quantities are limited, and for best results
you should purchase one kit per wheel you need to prepare.

We are also about to introduce the Placeboton Ti edition, which Fabrizio is testing for us with
great results in his early-season work. Call now to be put on the waiting list.

Finally, while the stock Placeboton and Placeboton Ti do not work with Trispoke, disc, Spinergy, or
similar non-spoke wheels, we now have an adapter kit that sells for just $25.

Operators are standing by,

Face it, this is cycling and good drugs help more than anything else!

Carbon everywhere is a good start. However, it can only be appreciated after the first course
of EPO....

> scott-<< What I am looking to accomplish is efficiency and have heard from several that a change
> in crank and bb would achieve this.
>
> Sorry, crank/BB won't do this, won't be any more effcient...
>
> Any smooth BB and well shifting crank/rings will be 'efficient'. I'm
surprised
> anybody would actually say anoither crank or BB would be more 'efficient'
than
> another. Ring selection is far more important.
>

> << My tpical rides are 50-80 miles, 20-23 mph, and I am looking at avenues
> increase efficiency and power transfer.
>
> Pedal choice, bicycle fit, good training and nutrition, not equipment-
>

> << From the results, it seems the consensus is that such a crank and bb
change
> will cost dollars, but not improve my performance. Would that be correct?
>
> That is correct.
>

> << The reason I ask is sveral in my Saturday group recently made this
change
> and they all seem to be flying these past few weeks.
>
> Their crank didn't do this, regardless of what they say...

Peter:

Thank you very much. I am a man of meager means. One income family, sick wife, company I worked for
went out of business last year, blah blah.

I am far from rich, heck I have a p/time job to pay for my cycling needs.

I was once very heavy and turned to cycling to save myself. In July 01, satisfied w/ my weight loss,
I bought a Torelli Countachw/ Daytona components and have jst over 14k miles on her.

Not being a cycling expert, I was wondering how it can be that cranks and bb can incrwase
efficiency. I am hearing that it can't, and will be delighted to put the money into things we need
for the house.

thanks again,

scott