New for for Klein with odd headset dimensions

Per LöWdin

Guest
Hi

My wife rides a Klein Adroit hardtail 99. She loves the bike but would like change the fork, it is
an ancient Manitou SX that has seen its best days, for a Marzocchi Marathon S or Fox coil fork, but
the headset has its own dimensions, not 1.8". Any advice would be appreciated.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:58:20 +0000, Per Löwdin did issue forth:

> Hi
>
> My wife rides a Klein Adroit hardtail 99. She loves the bike but would like change the fork, it is
> an ancient Manitou SX that has seen its best days, for a Marzocchi Marathon S or Fox coil fork,
> but the headset has its own dimensions, not 1.8". Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

1.8" isn't a type of headset, 1 1/8" is, or 1.125" if you're going decimal.

The only other sizes that I'm aware of that could possibly be on the bike are 1" or 1 1/4". If it's
1", then I think you're pretty much stuck with Marzocchi forks, 1 1/4" you can get headsets to
reduce the size down to 1
2/8" which should fit any modern fork.

> 1.8" isn't a type of headset, 1 1/8" is, or 1.125" if you're going decimal.
Sorry, of course it should be 1 1/8, nevertheless, the Kleins used to have different dimensions,
until the last couple of years. The headset is known as Mission control, and one needs some kind of
adaptor kit to fit a 1 1/8 fork on it.

Per

Per Löwdin wrote:
>>1.8" isn't a type of headset, 1 1/8" is, or 1.125" if you're going decimal.
>
> Sorry, of course it should be 1 1/8, nevertheless, the Kleins used to have different dimensions,
> until the last couple of years. The headset is known as Mission control, and one needs some kind
> of adaptor kit to fit a 1 1/8 fork on it.
>
> Per

I know Cane Creek make a headset that will size down various odd oversized headsets to a 1 1/8".

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:58:20 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>My wife rides a Klein Adroit hardtail 99. She loves the bike but would like change the fork, it is
>an ancient Manitou SX that has seen its best days, for a Marzocchi Marathon S or Fox coil fork, but
>the headset has its own dimensions, not 1.8". Any advice would be appreciated.

The Adriot came with a non standard headset called the "airheadset" This was basically bearings
pressed into the head tube. Its Klein specific, and requires special tools to install and adjust.
Also, Manitou was one of the only manufacuters to make steerer tubes for this size. (stems are
proprietary also).

Good news is that you can get adapters from Klein to install a standard 1-1/8 headset, although this
adds to the stack height and you have to change the stem.

> Good news is that you can get adapters from Klein to install a standard 1-1/8 headset, although
> this adds to the stack height and you have to change the stem.

Are the adopters made by Klein too? Presently, she has perhaps 25 or 28 mm of stack height
(spacers) so that would no be a problem. Thing is she likes the bike, there is nothing wrong with
the fork except that a lot has happened with forks since 99, and would like to use it for
travelling with a BOB.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

>Are the adopters made by Klein too? Presently, she has perhaps 25 or 28 mm of stack height
>(spacers) so that would no be a problem. Thing is she likes the bike, there is nothing wrong with
>the fork except that a lot has happened with forks since 99, and would like to use it for
>travelling with a BOB.

You trust those tiny rear facing dropouts with a BOB trailer? I don't. I'm even a bit twitchy about
running a rear disk on them.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

> You trust those tiny rear facing dropouts with a BOB trailer?

Spontaneously, I would not, but I asked "our" Klein Dealer in the US, we buy them when we visit
there, and he is absolutely certain that they can handle
it. They sell a lot of them. BOB also informs me that it should be OK.

Somewhat surprising, not least because the walls are so reduced on the stays that one is for
Cannondale adviced not to put clamps (steel bands, sorry if I don´t find the right English word ) to
fasten racks on.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html