Latest Homemade Bike Light Housing

Tom Nicholson wrote:
> Nice lights.
>
> Check out the Moz version.
>
> http://www.moz.net.nz/bike/equipment/whiteled/index.html
>
> nice led lights from J car with built in reflectors.
>
> Tom

The data sheet isn't very clear. Is that jaycar part just 4
chains of 3 LEDs with a series resistor? No regulator?
Total power is only 1W at 12V. i wonder how it compares to
the Luxon 1W.

The Jaycar site is rather misleading. It should say its only
1W and nowhere near as bright as a MR-11.

These white LEDs are no more efficient than a good halogen,
and need more electronics. (or a wasteful series resistor)
Of course, you can't get an efficient halogen at low power
levels, but at 5W+, I dont see the point of using LEDs.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Nicholson wrote:
> > Nice lights.
> >
> > Check out the Moz version.
> >
> > http://www.moz.net.nz/bike/equipment/whiteled/index.html
> >
> > nice led lights from J car with built in reflectors.
> >
> > Tom
>
> The data sheet isn't very clear. Is that jaycar part just
> 4 chains of 3 LEDs with a series resistor? No regulator?
> Total power is only 1W at 12V. i wonder how it compares to
> the Luxon 1W.
>
> The Jaycar site is rather misleading. It should say its
> only 1W and nowhere near as bright as a MR-11.
>
> These white LEDs are no more efficient than a good
> halogen, and need more electronics. (or a wasteful series
> resistor) Of course, you can't get an efficient halogen at
> low power levels, but at 5W+, I dont see the point of
> using LEDs.

The problem with the MR designs is that the connection is
difficult to the lamp is problematic and the lamp itself is
awkwardly shaped as far as housings go. That's why most
experimenting is based around the lamp holder itself. Most
sockets for the MR connections aren't very secure and you
can't solder the terminals because they're stainless steel.
MR bulbs less than 10 watts are extremely rare. Have a look
at the cost of replacement bulbs at Phantom cycles. The 5
Watt Luxeon LED is comparable in my opinion to a 10 watt MR
bulb. It may be slightly less brighter but it's enough to
ride on the road. Because of it's lower power draw I use a 2
amp hour battery which saves weight and makes it easier to
mount on the frame. I still get three or four hours of
riding time. The LED lamp is lighter, more aero, and has
less risk of failure due to a filament burning out.

The experimentation is still in its early days yet and I'm
sure there are people out there that will come up with much
better designs than me.

Marty