PSI Advice please

Saint

Guest
I am not sure how much pressure to put in my tyres on my 2
bikes so wondered if anyone can help.

My first bike is a Scott Roadster with 700 x 25 tyres. I
have tended to try and maintain pressures at about 110 PSI
as I weigh about 15.5 stones and am quite a big bloke.
Trouble is that, at this pressure the bike bounces like
*********** and feels like quite a severe ride. A bit less
is more forgiving but I have a feeling it won't be enough to
protect the rims/wheels if I clout something unexpected.

Second bike is a Dawes Discovery 301, not sure about
wheel size so maybe someone can tell me (these
measurements are really confusing!) but I am less worried
about this one as the tyres are a lot fatter than those
on my Scott and will take a lot more biff and bash - I
would still like to know though.

Cheers

Saint wrote:
> I am not sure how much pressure to put in my tyres on my 2
> bikes so wondered if anyone can help.
>
> My first bike is a Scott Roadster with 700 x 25 tyres. I
> have tended to try and maintain pressures at about 110 PSI
> as I weigh about 15.5 stones and am quite a big bloke.
> Trouble is that, at this pressure the bike bounces like
> *********** and feels like quite a severe ride. A bit less
> is more forgiving but I have a feeling it won't be enough
> to protect the rims/wheels if I clout something
> unexpected.
>
> Second bike is a Dawes Discovery 301, not sure about
> wheel size so maybe someone can tell me (these
> measurements are really confusing!) but I am less worried
> about this one as the tyres are a lot fatter than those
> on my Scott and will take a lot more biff and bash - I
> would still like to know though.

The recommended range of pressures should be embossed or
printed somewhere on the sidewall of the tyre.

Saint wrote:
> I am not sure how much pressure to put in my tyres on my 2
> bikes so wondered if anyone can help.
>
> My first bike is a Scott Roadster with 700 x 25 tyres. I
> have tended to try and maintain pressures at about 110 PSI
> as I weigh about 15.5 stones and am quite a big bloke.
> Trouble is that, at this pressure the bike bounces like
> *********** and feels like quite a severe ride. A bit less
> is more forgiving but I have a feeling it won't be enough
> to protect the rims/wheels if I clout something
> unexpected.
>
> Second bike is a Dawes Discovery 301, not sure about
> wheel size so maybe someone can tell me (these
> measurements are really confusing!) but I am less worried
> about this one as the tyres are a lot fatter than those
> on my Scott and will take a lot more biff and bash - I
> would still like to know though.

Try good old Sheldon Brown for starting point
recommendations:

www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

There is a table of recommended starting points for tyre
pressures towards the bottom.

If you're finding the 25mm tyres are a bit hard, you might
want to try a wider size.

Elsewhere on Sheldon's excellent pages, he'll explain the
mysteries of tyre size markings.

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to
newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

Avoid bibshorts.

Oh, PS/I/. As you were, then.

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Saint wrote:
> > I am not sure how much pressure to put in my tyres on my
> > 2 bikes so wondered if anyone can help.
> >

> The recommended range of pressures should be embossed or
> printed somewhere on the sidewall of the tyre.

And don't forget the rims may have a maximum PSI rating too.

tony R.

tony R wrote:
> "Simonb" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Saint wrote:
>>> I am not sure how much pressure to put in my tyres on my
>>> 2 bikes so wondered if anyone can help.
>>>

>> The recommended range of pressures should be embossed or
>> printed somewhere on the sidewall of the tyre.
>>
> And don't forget the rims may have a maximum PSI
> rating too.
>
> tony R.

Good point. It is possible that this may actually be _lower_
than some tyres!

Simonb wrote:

> tony R wrote:
>
>>"Simonb" <[email protected]>
>>wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>>The recommended range of pressures should be embossed or
>>>printed somewhere on the sidewall of the tyre.
>>>

>>And don't forget the rims may have a maximum PSI
>>rating too.
>>
>>tony R.
>

> Good point. It is possible that this may actually be
> _lower_ than some tyres!

ok, now I'm concerned :) My rims don't (afaik) have ratings
on them. Any ideas where I might find this info?
Manufacturer website? Inside the rim somewhere?

--

Velvet

Velvet wrote:

> ok, now I'm concerned :) My rims don't (afaik) have
> ratings on them. Any ideas where I might find this info?
> Manufacturer website? Inside the rim somewhere?

Pete Biggs posted a link to the Mavic details a few weeks
ago. I didn't bookmark it.

Pete?

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simonb wrote:
>
> > tony R wrote:
> >
> >>"Simonb" <[email protected]>
> >>wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> >>And don't forget the rims may have a maximum PSI
> >>rating too.
> >>
> >>tony R.
> >

> > Good point. It is possible that this may actually be
> > _lower_ than some tyres!
> >

> ok, now I'm concerned :) My rims don't (afaik) have
> ratings on them. Any ideas where I might find this info?
> Manufacturer website? Inside the rim somewhere?
>
> --

My new (Mavic) rims have the rating printed on the label on
the rims themselves. To be honest this is the only reason I
became aware this was an issue - I fitted narrower tyres and
their max. PSI is higher than the figure on the rims. I'd
merrily used the previous (also Mavic) rims for years
without giving it a second thought - although with the wider
tyres I doubt I exceeded any rating anyway. Mavic also have
info on their website eg: http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/asph-
prod_fiche?product.id=64&lg=uk Sorry about the long url. I'm
not computer literate enough to make it manageable.

tony R.

tony R wrote:

> "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IoVGc.337$wY.3092703@news-
> text.cableinet.net...
>
>>Simonb wrote:

>>>Good point. It is possible that this may actually be
>>>_lower_ than some tyres!
>>>

>>ok, now I'm concerned :) My rims don't (afaik) have
>>ratings on them. Any ideas where I might find this info?
>>Manufacturer website? Inside the rim somewhere?
>>
>>--
>

> My new (Mavic) rims have the rating printed on the label
> on the rims themselves. To be honest this is the only
> reason I became aware this was an issue - I fitted
> narrower tyres and their max. PSI is higher than the
> figure on the rims. I'd merrily used the previous (also
> Mavic) rims for years without giving it a second thought -
> although with the wider tyres I doubt I exceeded any
> rating anyway. Mavic also have info on their website eg:
> http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/asph-
> prod_fiche?product.id=64&lg=uk Sorry about the long url.
> I'm not computer literate enough to make it manageable.
>
> tony R.

Ah, ace! Just looked mine up (MA3's, for my sins) and the
tyres'll give out before the rims... or so they reckon,
anyway ;-)

--

Velvet

Simonb wrote:
> Velvet wrote:
>
>> ok, now I'm concerned :) My rims don't (afaik) have
>> ratings on them. Any ideas where I might find this info?
>> Manufacturer website? Inside the rim somewhere?

No, I've never seen a pressure rating actually marked on
or in a rim.

> Pete Biggs posted a link to the Mavic details a few weeks
> ago. I didn't bookmark it.

"Max pressures" are indicated on the main website. Go to
www.mavic.com and find your rim.

I wouldn't worry about them too much. They're conservative
generalisations, at best.

~PB