Recommendations needed re new bike...

Ac

Guest
Hi,

I have been riding since last year (please, no jokes about how tired my legs must be!)

My current bike is a 13yr old Dawes Impulse - its ok, but I would like to get a new bike, to take
advantage of improved design/technology etc

At the moment, I ride routes varying from 8 - 25 miles, with not many gradients involved. Typical
avg speed for an 18 mile run is 19mph

I know its difficult to be too specific in recommendations, but can anyone provide opinions of
different makes, and maybe models if poss

On a VERY specific point, my local dealer is 'Michaels Cycles' of Bedford. Any experiences of them ?
I'm going there tomorrow to see what they have to offer. Is it unreasonable to expect a test-ride,
given I'm spending a fair chunk of cash ?

My budget is around £800

Cheers

AC

AC <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
Is it unreasonable to expect a test-ride, given I'm spending a fair chunk of cash ?

> My budget is around £800

I think it perfectly reasonable, in fact essential. Not only will you be able to test that the bike
suits you, you will be able to make sure it is assembled/adjusted correctly. That sort of money I
would be no ride, no sale. There's plenty of dealers.

Bill

AC wrote:

> I know its difficult to be too specific in recommendations, but can anyone provide opinions of
> different makes, and maybe models if poss

First up, what exactly do you have in mind for it? I gather from 18 miles at 19 mph quite possibly
shortish fastish thrashes, but I could be wrong... That sort of thing, especially with not much in
the way of hills, would be ideal for a sporty recumbent, but OTOH a sporty recumbent would get you
outlawed from most races which could well be an issue if you want to race. Also, it doesn't really
work for co-operative riding in close packs, which may or may not be an issue for your particular
circumstances.

> Is it unreasonable to expect a test-ride, given I'm spending a fair chunk of cash ?

Not at all. If you don't have considerable confidence in it don't buy it, and if a test ride is
required for that degree of confidence, it's required.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> First up, what exactly do you have in mind for it? I gather from 18 miles at 19 mph quite possibly
> shortish fastish thrashes, but I could be wrong...

Well, so far I ride upto 25 miles but would like to do further, but unlikely to be more than
50-60 miles, maybe the odd 100ish No need for mudguards/rack etc - it would mainly be for 'fair
weather riding'

Main priority at the moment is to get fit and improve time/speed

Cheers

AC

AC wrote:

> Well, so far I ride upto 25 miles but would like to do further, but unl=
ikely
> to be more than 50-60 miles, maybe the odd 100ish No need for mudguards/rack etc - it would mainly
> be for 'fair weather riding'
>=20
> Main priority at the moment is to get fit and improve time/speed

For that, *I* would get a sporty recumbent, but =A3800 you'll need to be =

2nd hand and there's no getting away from it being a minority choice.=20 OTOH it should be at least
as quick, quite possibly quicker (especially=20 into the wind) and a damn site more comfortable with
better pilot view=20 in most cases, both of which help allow longer rides. Most 'bent riders =

seem to experience much larger grins than their upright counterparts.

Definite downsides: finding one will be harder, if you do choice will be =

limited 2nd hand, if you get self-conscious it's not going to be any fun =

at all, if you subsequently want to enter races most won't accept=20 recumbents.

I don't know the Dawes Impulse model, but if it has a good quality frame =

then you might look at just changing components. Technology has changed =

gearing quite a lot, but a good frame is still a good frame AFAICT.

Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/