Getting Into Flatland Biking

Ukflatland

Guest
Hey,

Im sure many of you will not know what flatland is. Well, it is a sport where you can express
youself through tricks based on the ground which require a lot of balance and skill.

It is an amazing sport to get into, check http://www.ukflatland.com for more information on
the sport.

"ukflatland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey,
>
> Im sure many of you will not know what flatland is. Well, it is a sport where you can express
> youself through tricks based on the ground which require a lot of balance and skill.
>
> It is an amazing sport to get into, check http://www.ukflatland.com for more information on
> the sport.

Had a look. The website is definitely "form over function." There is essentially no content. Kinda
useless in its current state.

Does the world need yet another micro-subdivision of bicycle eventing?

-Barry

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sTUna.510984

> Had a look. The website is definitely "form over function." There is essentially no content. Kinda
> useless in its current state.

It would also help if you put a "what the heck is flatland biking?" section on the site. You assume
that all visitors know what you are talking about before they stop by. Big mistake. If you want
traffic, you better tell them what it is you are talking about in the first place (and a post on a
newsgroup isn't good enough).

Using a few pictures of "flatlanders" in action instead of the goofy "art" would get the point of
the website across more quickly.

-Buck

Buck <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
: "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sTUna.510984

:> Had a look. The website is definitely "form over function." There is essentially no content.
:> Kinda useless in its current state.

: It would also help if you put a "what the heck is flatland biking?" section

Flatland biking is a place on the tour that you had better have plenty of patches handy.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

This is all understatement. There is NOTHING at this site that says anything about what this
is. Kooky!

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is all understatement. There is NOTHING at this site that says
anything
> about what this is. Kooky!

You got it. I was just trying to be nice :)

As a web designer with a deep streak of practicality and a focus on useability and clarity of
content, I would have to rate the Flatland website as "not pretty, but useless." Basically, a
waste of time.

This is illustrative of my head-on collision with graphic designers. I have no problem with making
things pretty (or at least highly decorative), as long as they're also useful. Of course, sometimes
web design crosses over into the art realm - it's just for looks, with or without meaningful visual
metaphor and/or textual poetry, video artistry. This is where it gets tricky. Perhaps the designers
of the Flatland website see wasting my time as an artistic statement. Is that valid? Who is to say?

It isn't my worry about offending that makes me go easy on web designers, it's my attempt at keeping
an open mind to new forms of expression. That's not always easy, especially for old guys.

-Barry

In article <sTUna.510984$L1.145842@sccrnsc02>, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> writes:

> Does the world need yet another micro-subdivision of bicycle eventing?

Yes! At least, the kids need it, especially in these times when youth interest in cycling seems to
be flagging.

Flatland is a BMX style that young people can truly call their own, and nestle it in their
[sub]culture without danger of cultural/generational/corporate appropriation. If it gets them onto
bikes, it's fine by me.

The style is uncluttered by specially-constructed ramps, halfpipes and walls, so just about
/anybody/ with the right bike (and young enough body) can work at it, regardless of income or
environment. I say "work at it", because acquiring and honing the essential skills is very
demanding; the tricks are very impressive.

As a sometime spectator, I've sensed a sort of Zen-like interrelationship between bike, rider and
terrain that is quite distinct from what might be noticed in other types of riding. I guess it's
because there's a certain degree of minimalism involved -- just a bike, a rider, and an empty
parking lot or some other little bit of empty space to ride in.

Watching them makes me rue my own many wasted years; if I were 30 or so (okay, 40) years younger,
I'd join 'em. But my hat's off to the young people who are into it. Besides, it gives them something
to do other than spray-painting graffiti on buildings, or knocking over portable toilets at
construction sites.

Yes, Flatland is needed. It belongs to the younger folks though, and that's how it should be. The
kids are alright.

cheers, Tom