Ravenous after long run

Phil M.

Guest
After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
eating until around noon. This does not seem to be impacting
my weight over the course of a week.

Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my stomach?

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat Crossing the river of the
world, No one will oppose you, No one will seek to harm you.

Phil M. wrote:
> After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
> my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
> it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
> consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
> eating until around noon. This does not seem to be
> impacting my weight over the course of a week.

Then why are you worried?

> Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
> stomach?

Are you consuming any carbs during the long-runs, and how
long are the long runs in the first place?

Lyle

On 2004-07-05, Phil M. <[email protected]> wrote:
> After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
> my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
> it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
> consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
> eating until around noon. This does not seem to be
> impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>
> Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
> stomach?

You're talking 2000 calories or so in the one run -- so
you'd expect to be hungry. I think the fact that you're not
hungry the next day means you're overeating a little, but it
seems harmless.

I'm usually pretty damn hungry after long runs too.

FWIW, I take in a good dose of protein and carbs after the
run and that helps (protein smoothie with some extra carbs).
I'm still pretty hungry the rest of the day anyway.

Cheers,

Pig out!

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
> my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
> it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
> consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
> eating until around noon. This does not seem to be
> impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>
> Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
> stomach?
>
> Phil M.

You can be kicked out of the man club for counting
calories. Is there anything else you'd like to admit to,
Buttercup? Carb counting, maybe? Sincerely, every sickened
male in America

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time
> controlling my
appetite. I
> can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If it weren't for
> the fact
that I
> eventually go to sleep, I'd consume even more. The next
> day I usually
don't
> feel like eating until around noon. This does not seem to
> be impacting
my
> weight over the course of a week.
>
> Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> just listen
to my
> body and empty the fridge into my stomach?

For some people, long runs suppress their appetite. What you
describe is exactly me unless it's more than 9 hours. We
often spend the last hour or so talking about what we are
going to eat when we are done. We eat and again, like you, I
sometimes power nap and I'm ready to go the rest of the day.
My weight has been +/- 5 pounds for 15 years.

-DougF

In article <[email protected]>,
"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

> After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
> my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
> it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
> consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
> eating until around noon. This does not seem to be
> impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>
> Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
> stomach?
>
> Phil M.

****, this sounds like the way i used to eat when i was
half and full marathon training. it didn't help that i
thought about food the whole time i was running, either.
i'd be in the door, stretching while getting some burgers
and potatoes going on the stove (or a whole pizza). it was
never too junky, all homemade and i'm very health-conscious
(close to vegetarian). i'd eat a huge meal, then fruit for
dessert (no cookies or cake in this house), then i'd eat a
bowl of popcorn while i kicked back for a movie. the
amounts were massive.

i gained *a little* weight during all of that. at the time i
felt that all that food was necessary to refuel and for
proper recovery. i did wish i wasn't gaining rather than
losing weight from all of those miles i ran.

but now that i'm looking at shorter training runs and races
(10k or less), i've seen a marked decrease in the need to
eat like there is no tomorrow. i definitely eat smarter,
though i still treat myself to chips and chocolate on a
fairly regular basis.

the timing of your run and your meals may bear consideration
here. if you wait many hours after a meal to go running,
then you may be starving during the run, and will want to
gorge. i'm sure that eating a smaller amount would do you
fine, if you were to try it. it's more in the mind really...
just lick that urge to keep feeding after you have obviously
taken in enough food.

just my two cents,

Cam

Phil M. wrote in message ...
>After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
>my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
>it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
>consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
>eating until around noon. This does not seem to be
>impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>
>Is this something I should learn to control, or
>should I just listen to my body and empty the fridge
>into my stomach?

These days I always eat a healthy amount during the long run
and the same goes for long bike rides. usually 20-30 oz
accelerade/hour and a GU every 30 to 40 mins, and usually
some kind of protien/carb bar as well. Then right after the
run a high carb shake and pretzels if I feel like eating.
Then I sometimes nibble a little but I don't usually have
cravings, and I'm back to normal eating by dinnertime.
Eating during the run helps with recovery.

- Tony

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
> my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
> it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
> consume even more. The next day I usually
don't
> feel like eating until around noon. This does not seem to
> be impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>
> Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
> stomach?

I get the same thing, and can consume amazing amounts of
food as well. I find that it's not a problem, but if I feel
the need to curb the hunger I find a protein shake does the
trick. They make me feel quite full for some time.

After a race I allow myself to eat anything. Usually it a
whole large three-topping pizza to myself with a bottle of
shiraz or maybe a local cabernet franc. mmmmm. :)

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org
www.absolutelyaccurate.com

Thats one of things your body and sugar metabolism *slowly*
gets better at. I'm talking about years and decades. I used
to get cranky on long runs the first year, probably due to
low blood sugar, not much so after some years.

IMO, giving into the urge to totally pig out is why most
runners are above optimal weight...Of course, if they
weren't usually 10-25 lbs overweight, I wouldn't place as
well, so keep at it!

I eat a bit more on my long run days, but unfortunately, one
doesn't need to eat much to keep at a good running weight --
typically I eat 2500 - 3000 cals/day on 80 mpw. I might eat
over 5,000 cals on the day of a 50 miler, though. I'm 148
lbs at 5'8".

I also find that tough runs suppress my appetite -- I have
to work at eating 600 to 800 cals of high-carb food right
after a tough long run. (as we know, that's when carbs
replenish muscles best)

And after speedwork, my appetite is suppressed for 4 - 5
hours. This is probably why the fanatical / serious runners
lose those last few lbs while in the sharpening phase.

-- Dan

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> On 2004-07-05, Phil M. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
>>my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
>>it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
>>consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
>>eating until around noon. This does not seem to be
>>impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>>
>>Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
>>just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
>>stomach?
>

> You're talking 2000 calories or so in the one run -- so
> you'd expect to be hungry. I think the fact that you're
> not hungry the next day means you're overeating a little,
> but it seems harmless.
>
> I'm usually pretty damn hungry after long runs too.
>
> FWIW, I take in a good dose of protein and carbs after
> the run and that helps (protein smoothie with some
> extra carbs). I'm still pretty hungry the rest of the
> day anyway.

do you take anything during the run?

Lyle

One dark day on Usenet, Lyle McDonald <[email protected]>
said news:[email protected]:

> Phil M. wrote:
>> After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time
>> controlling my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000
>> calories. If it weren't for the fact that I eventually go
>> to sleep, I'd consume even more. The next day I usually
>> don't feel like eating until around noon. This does not
>> seem to be impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>>

> Then why are you worried?
>
>> Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
>> just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
>> stomach?
>
> Are you consuming any carbs during the long-runs

Pre-run - oatmeal w/whey powder, coffee, 20 oz Cytomax (400
kcal, 65 g carbs)

During run - 80 oz Cytomax (500 kcal, 100 g carbs)

Post run (within 15 minutes of finish) - 24 oz Cytomax, Slim
Fast smoothie including slim-fast, skim milk, whey powder,
banana (750 kcal, 140g carbs)

> and how long are the long runs in the first place?

18 to 20 miles

Phil M.

Lyle u and i both with me if am not sleeping / i am eating
/ plodzilla

Lyle McDonald wrote:

> Phil M. wrote:
> > After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time
> > controlling my appetite. I can easily consume up to
> > 6,000 calories. If it weren't for the fact that I
> > eventually go to sleep, I'd consume even more. The next
> > day I usually don't feel like eating until around noon.
> > This does not seem to be impacting my weight over the
> > course of a week.
> >

> Then why are you worried?
>
> > Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> > just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
> > stomach?
>
> Are you consuming any carbs during the long-runs, and how
> long are the long runs in the first place?
>
> Lyle

I once ran 22 miles in the heat then accidentally got the
order of my food wrong. I ate some oily fish first instead
of all the great (read: GREAT!) cakes, custard and syrupy
sugar drinks waiting in my fridge.

It was awful, the %$£^$ing fish put my off all the great
food I'd been looking forward to over the last 4 miles of
the run. I was ok after about half an hour but, as you know,
that's a long time to wait and it's not the same if you
can't tuck in straight away.

"Great Marathon man" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
> Pig out!
>
> "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time
> > controlling my appetite.
> > can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If it weren't
> > for the fact that
> > eventually go to sleep, I'd consume even more. The next
> > day I usually
don't
> > feel like eating until around noon. This does not seem
> > to be impacting
my
> > weight over the course of a week.
> >
> > Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> > just listen to
my
> > body and empty the fridge into my stomach?
> >
> > Phil M.

Now that Cam the moron has spoken, I'll warn you on this
idiots advice. Even though you gain no weight, your
cholesterol can skyrocket from eating this much food intake.
If you plan on continuing down this path, at least be
monitored by a Dr.

onemarathon <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time
> > controlling my appetite. I can easily consume up to
> > 6,000 calories. If it weren't for the fact that I
> > eventually go to sleep, I'd consume even more. The next
> > day I usually don't feel like eating until around noon.
> > This does not seem to be impacting my weight over the
> > course of a week.
> >
> > Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
> > just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
> > stomach?
> >
> > Phil M.
>
> ****, this sounds like the way i used to eat when i was
> half and full marathon training. it didn't help that i
> thought about food the whole time i was running, either.
> i'd be in the door, stretching while getting some burgers
> and potatoes going on the stove (or a whole pizza). it was
> never too junky, all homemade and i'm very health-
> conscious (close to vegetarian). i'd eat a huge meal, then
> fruit for dessert (no cookies or cake in this house), then
> i'd eat a bowl of popcorn while i kicked back for a movie.
> the amounts were massive.
>
> i gained *a little* weight during all of that. at the time
> i felt that all that food was necessary to refuel and for
> proper recovery. i did wish i wasn't gaining rather than
> losing weight from all of those miles i ran.
>
> but now that i'm looking at shorter training runs and
> races (10k or less), i've seen a marked decrease in the
> need to eat like there is no tomorrow. i definitely eat
> smarter, though i still treat myself to chips and
> chocolate on a fairly regular basis.
>
> the timing of your run and your meals may bear
> consideration here. if you wait many hours after a meal to
> go running, then you may be starving during the run, and
> will want to gorge. i'm sure that eating a smaller amount
> would do you fine, if you were to try it. it's more in the
> mind really... just lick that urge to keep feeding after
> you have obviously taken in enough food.
>
> just my two cents,
>
> Cam

One dark day on Usenet, "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> said
news:[email protected]:

> Phil M. wrote in message ...
>>After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time controlling
>>my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000 calories. If
>>it weren't for the fact that I eventually go to sleep, I'd
>>consume even more. The next day I usually don't feel like
>>eating until around noon. This does not seem to be
>>impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>>
>>Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
>>just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
>>stomach?
>>

> These days I always eat a healthy amount during the long
> run and the same goes for long bike rides. usually 20-30
> oz accelerade/hour and a GU every 30 to 40 mins, and
> usually some kind of protien/carb bar as well. Then right
> after the run a high carb shake and pretzels if I feel
> like eating. Then I sometimes nibble a little but I don't
> usually have cravings, and I'm back to normal eating by
> dinnertime. Eating during the run helps with recovery.

I usualy have about 400 calores before the run, 500 calories
during the run, and 750 calories right after the run. So I
guess I need to up the calories during the run. Or, like
Lyle said, "What are you worried about?" I'll just eat like
crazy all day.

--
If you can empty your own boat Crossing the river of the
world, No one will oppose you, No one will seek to harm you.
-Chuang Tzu

One dark day on Usenet, "Dan Stumpus" <[email protected]> said
news:[email protected]:

> IMO, giving into the urge to totally pig out is why most
> runners are above optimal weight...Of course, if they
> weren't usually 10-25 lbs overweight, I wouldn't place as
> well, so keep at it!

Unless I lose a lot of upper body muscle, I think 160 is
about as low as I should go without losing strength. All
that time spent in the gym in the 80s trying to look like
Arnold is coming back to haunt me now. Reminds me of Lance
Armstrong improving his performance by losing upper body
mass during his cancer episode. Not something I want to do.

> I eat a bit more on my long run days, but unfortunately,
> one doesn't need to eat much to keep at a good running
> weight -- typically I eat 2500 - 3000 cals/day on 80 mpw.
> I might eat over 5,000 cals on the day of a 50 miler,
> though. I'm 148 lbs at 5'8".

I average 2800 cals/day on 60 mpw. Assuming I'm burning an
average of 900 calories per day by running, I'm around 2000
calories as my metabolic rate.

> I also find that tough runs suppress my appetite -- I have
> to work at eating 600 to 800 cals of high-carb food right
> after a tough long run. (as we know, that's when carbs
> replenish muscles best)

Quite the opposite here. Half way through a run I'm already
thinking of what I'll be eating when I get home.

> And after speedwork, my appetite is suppressed for 4 -
> 5 hours. This is probably why the fanatical / serious
> runners lose those last few lbs while in the
> sharpening phase.

I don't do a lot of speedwork, just a tempo run once a week.
But again, this makes me even more ravenous.

I guess this is one of the reasons I like runing. I can eat
as much as I want and not gain weight. ;-)

Phil M.

On 2004-07-05, Lyle McDonald <[email protected]> wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>> On 2004-07-05, Phil M. <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>After my last 3 long runs I've had a hard time
>>>controlling my appetite. I can easily consume up to 6,000
>>>calories. If it weren't for the fact that I eventually go
>>>to sleep, I'd consume even more. The next day I usually
>>>don't feel like eating until around noon. This does not
>>>seem to be impacting my weight over the course of a week.
>>>
>>>Is this something I should learn to control, or should I
>>>just listen to my body and empty the fridge into my
>>>stomach?
>>

>> You're talking 2000 calories or so in the one run -- so
>> you'd expect to be hungry. I think the fact that you're
>> not hungry the next day means you're overeating a little,
>> but it seems harmless.
>>
>> I'm usually pretty damn hungry after long runs too.
>>
>> FWIW, I take in a good dose of protein and carbs after
>> the run and that helps (protein smoothie with some extra
>> carbs). I'm still pretty hungry the rest of the day
>> anyway.
>
> do you take anything during the run?

Sometimes, but even then it amounts to less than 200
calories.

Cheers,

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:59:21 GMT, "Phil M."
<[email protected]> wrote: <snip>
>I usualy have about 400 calores before the run, 500
>calories during the run, and 750 calories right after the
>run. So I guess I need to up the calories during the run.
>Or, like Lyle said, "What are you worried about?" I'll just
>eat like crazy all day.
i've been thinking about this lately. i see myself and the
other runners chowing down big-time after short races. say
we used 500 calories (which I doubt) on the 5Ks. we shove
back about 1000 to 1500. maybe this is why none (or almost
none) of the runners are real tight-bodied.

so, i drank more water and juice. ate a few cookies. but
stayed away from the high caloric cream cheese. there aren't
very many people that couldn't stand to lose a pound or two
of fat and i can too. this is a good opportunity. ...thehick