or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charcoal seasoning?

post #1 of 8
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 04:08:10 GMT, "Scot"
<greatscotinla@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Looking for a charcoal seasoning. Several years ago, one of the major brands of seasoning that
>Safeway carries had a charcoal seasoning in its line. I believe it was actually labeled "charcoal
>seasoning." It had an appearance similar to black pepper. It was a perfect "rub" for roasting any
>type of poultry, meat or fish. I haven't been able to find it in many years. Does anyone know
>anything about it -- if it's still manufactured, and where it is?

Is it charcoal-flavored or to be used to season charcoal?

It sure sounds nasty, whatever it is. "Grilled seasoning" sounds better.

Smoked salt comes to mind. Was it a smoke flavor, or a grilled flavor? There is an commercial
product used by food service corporations (Tyson, ie), but as far as I know it's not available to
the public due to trademarks and royalty issues.

-sw
post #2 of 8

Re: Charcoal seasoning?

Scot wrote:

> Looking for a charcoal seasoning. Several years ago, one of the major brands of seasoning that
> Safeway carries had a charcoal seasoning in its line. I believe it was actually labeled "charcoal
> seasoning." It had an appearance similar to black pepper. It was a perfect "rub" for roasting any
> type of poultry, meat or fish. I haven't been able to find it in many years. Does anyone know
> anything about it -- if it's still manufactured, and where it is?

I used to use something by McCormick called Hickory Salt. I know you said it wasn't a salt, but this
was pretty nice. I haven't seen it in a few years tho. I do use Wright's bottled liquid smoke (at my
regular grocery), both hickory and mesquite, which do not contain any carbonaceous dingies that
might cause cancer, according to them. Howsabout sprinkling liquid smoke on meat, sprinkle with a
little chile powder? Edrena
post #3 of 8

Re: Charcoal seasoning?

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:29:22 GMT, "Scot"
<greatscotinla@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Tex Mexican" <macho_man@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> It was cancelled for health reasons. It contained smoke solids that were implicated in increased
>> instances of colon cancer.
>
>Interesting. Just out of curiosity, do you recall who manufactured it, or any other details?

I think she was joking. Smoke solids are <cough> good for you. As far as I know, BBQ is still legal
(except on your balcony in Texas).

-sw
post #4 of 8

Re: Charcoal seasoning?

In rec.food.cooking, The Joneses <famjones@swbell.net> wrote:
> Howsabout sprinkling liquid smoke on meat, sprinkle with a
> little chile powder?

Yuck.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
post #5 of 8

Re: Charcoal seasoning?

EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:

> In rec.food.cooking, The Joneses
> <famjones@swbell.net> wrote:
> > Howsabout sprinkling liquid smoke on meat, sprinkle with
> > a little chile powder?
>
> Yuck.

Yer not supposta pour it on, just a little taste. But yer
right, there's lots of things better.
E.
post #6 of 8

Re: Charcoal seasoning?

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:31:42 +0000 (UTC),
EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:

>In rec.food.cooking, The Joneses
><famjones@swbell.net> wrote:
>> Howsabout sprinkling liquid smoke on meat, sprinkle with
>> a little chile powder?

>Yuck.

There's nothing wrong with using liquid smoke wisely, just
don't expect it to taste (nor call it) BBQ.

-sw
post #7 of 8

Re: Charcoal seasoning?

In rec.food.cooking, Scot <greatscotinla@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is the best seasoning to use to get a smokey flavor
> indoors?

I use my fireplace flue. After the steaks are done, I
arrange a few logs over the remnants of the charcoal.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
post #8 of 8

Re: Charcoal seasoning?

Scot wrote:

> "The Joneses" <famjones@swbell.net> wrote in message
> > EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:
> > > Yuck.
> > Yer not supposta pour it on, just a little taste. But
> > yer right, there's lots of things better.
> What is the best seasoning to use to get a smokey flavor
> indoors?

I use a drop or four of the liquid stuff; a little goes a
long way. OTH, I remember a TV chef preparing a smoked fish
filet or chicken or something by packaging a tablespoon of
brown sugar in tinfoil in the bottom of a deep dutch oven
sort of thing, meat on rack above, tight lid, 30 minutes
cooking? I can't remember exactly how it was done, but the
burn sugar was nice smoke and clean up wasn't too hard
thanks to the tinfoil. I truly don't remember all the
particulars, but your experiments will prove whether or not
that smoke alarm needs a battery (g). Edrena
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition