or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

substitute for a dutch oven?

post #1 of 15
>Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
>just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
>advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
>a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).
>
>Thanks, Ben

Very few have an actual dutch oven, a heavy cast iron pot,
usually with legs, so it could be stood directly into the
bed of a fire, with its lid configured so that the pot could
be covered under a heap of glowing embers.. called an oven
as it was used as a baking chamber, not a stew pot... the
dutch oven has come to mean any large pot with a lid, but no
longer used for baking... these days a dutch oven means stew
pot, not even necessary to be oven pruf.

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
post #2 of 15

Re: substitute for a dutch oven?

ben <abc@efg.com> wrote in message news:<c2e50o$1sg96q$1@ID-121117.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
> just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
> advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
> a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).
>
> Thanks, Ben

Some pot lids and handles can't go into the oven - the
plastic parts can melt. If you still have the literature
that came with your pot, it should say whether it is oven-
safe and to what temperature. Also check on the bottom
of the pot.

FWIW, I've been cooking for 30 years and only last year did
I find that what Americans call a Dutch Oven is completely
different than what we call it. I've always used a large oven-
safe pot with no problems.

wd39
post #3 of 15

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:31:58 -0500, ben <abc@efg.com> wrote:

>Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
>just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
>advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
>a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).

A 'Dutch oven' in current cooking is a large, heavy pot with
a cover -- all parts oven-proof. The advantage is the heat-
retaining and -distribution characteristics of something
like cast iron. And, of course, a lid that keeps steam
inside the pot.

There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt Lake
City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven Gatherings. They
have cooking contests using *real* Dutch ovens -- the cast
iron pots on legs with indented lids meant to be used over
campfires. Everything from crown roast of pork to chocolate
cake. Amazing!
post #4 of 15

ben wrote:

> Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
> just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
> advantage of a dutch oven? (I have a recipe that calls for
> a dutch oven but don't have one or time to get one).

Being made of cast iron, the dutch oven is able to retain
and more evenly distribute heat than a pot made of any other
material used for pots.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@myrealbox.com> Visit the Infobahn
Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care

Frogleg wrote:

> There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
> Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven Gatherings.
> They have cooking contests using *real* Dutch ovens -- the
> cast iron pots on legs with indented lids meant to be used
> over campfires.

Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on the
bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the indented lid
as well so that I can take it camping and put coals on to
when cooking.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@myrealbox.com> Visit the Infobahn
Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care
what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"
post #6 of 15

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> Frogleg wrote:
>
>> There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
>> Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven
>> Gatherings. They have cooking contests using *real* Dutch
>> ovens -- the cast iron pots on legs with indented lids
>> meant to be used over campfires.
>
> Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
> anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on the
> bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the indented
> lid as well so that I can take it camping and put coals on
> to when cooking.

Yes, check the Lodge cast iron website under "dutch ovens".
They sell just the lids. They call them 'covers' and they
come in a variety of sizes.

Jill
post #7 of 15

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> Frogleg wrote:
>

>>There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
>>Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven Gatherings.
>>They have cooking contests using *real* Dutch ovens -- the
>>cast iron pots on legs with indented lids meant to be used
>>over campfires.
>

> Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
> anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on the
> bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the indented
> lid as well so that I can take it camping and put coals on
> to when cooking.

I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the outdoor
lids separately for some reason. They do sell the indoor
lids though. Send them a note or give a call and ask, it
can't hurt. https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product.-
asp?idProduct=2821&menu=Outdoor

Here's some pics of the original style of DO's. Using one
definitely requires some different techniques than anything
in a modern kitchen.

--
Steve

post #8 of 15

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> Frogleg wrote:
>>

>>> There was a program on FoodTV last night featuring Salt
>>> Lake City with a segment on DOGs -- Dutch Oven
>>> Gatherings. They have cooking contests using *real*
>>> Dutch ovens -- the cast iron pots on legs with indented
>>> lids meant to be used over campfires.
>>

>> Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
>> anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on
>> the bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the
>> indented lid as well so that I can take it camping and
>> put coals on to when cooking.
>>

> I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
> outdoor lids separately for some reason.

I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call them
and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter covers.

Jill
post #9 of 15

jmcquown wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>>Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

>>>Speaking of those lids, can you buy *just* the lid
>>>anywhere? My DO came with a rounded lid and no legs on
>>>the bottom (Xmas present). I would love to get the
>>>indented lid as well so that I can take it camping and
>>>put coals on to when cooking.
>>>

>>I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
>>outdoor lids separately for some reason.
>

> I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call them
> and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter covers.
>
> Jill

Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top of
the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every one
that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.

--
Steve

post #10 of 15

Steve Calvin wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Steve Calvin wrote:

<snip>

>>> I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
>>> outdoor lids separately for some reason.
>>

>> I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call
>> them and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter
>> covers.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
> they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top
> of the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every
> one that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.

Found 'em... If you go to the "Outdoor" tab and then pick
"Outdoor Gear" they do have the actual covers used for
outdoor cooking.

--
Steve

post #11 of 15

Steve Calvin wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Steve Calvin wrote:

>>> I checked out Lodge and they don't seem to sell the
>>> outdoor lids separately for some reason.
>>

>> I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call
>> them and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter
>> covers.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
> they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top
> of the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every
> one that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.

Silly me, when I went camping I always just turned the lid
upside down and put the coals on the top :-)

Jill
post #12 of 15

Re: substitute for a dutch oven?

jmcquown wrote: <snip

>>Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way that
>>they are the traditional covers used to hold coals on top
>>of the unit for cooking. They are rounded, at least every
>>one that I saw, and no way will they hold coals.
>

> Silly me, when I went camping I always just turned the lid
> upside down and put the coals on the top :-)
>
> Jill

Awww, now come on Jill... that'd make WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY to
much sense! ;-)

--
Steve

post #13 of 15

Re: substitute for a dutch oven?

I just realized we have a "true" Dutch Oven. We've never
used it and haven't even seasoned it yet!

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the
only begotten Son of God is the object of our faith; the
only faith that saves is faith in Him

<>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/..._WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/187.4/145

"PENMART01" <penmart01@aol.como> wrote in message news:20040306225523.29687.00000967@mb-
m21.aol.com...
> >Can I use a regular pot instead of a dutch oven? Could I
> >just stick a regular pot inside an oven? What's the
> >advantage of a dutch oven? (I
have
> >a recipe that calls for a dutch oven but don't have one
> >or time to get
one).

> >Thanks, Ben
>
> Very few have an actual dutch oven, a heavy cast iron pot,
> usually with
legs,
> so it could be stood directly into the bed of a fire,
> with its lid
configured
> so that the pot could be covered under a heap of glowing
> embers.. called
an
> oven as it was used as a baking chamber, not a stew pot...
> the dutch oven
has
> come to mean any large pot with a lid, but no longer used
> for baking...
these
> days a dutch oven means stew pot, not even necessary to be
> oven pruf.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
> UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
> would be devoid of all meaning were it without
> tribulation."
post #14 of 15

jmcquown wrote:

>> Yes, they do sell iron "covers" but.. there is no way
>> that they are the traditional covers used to hold
>> coals on top of the unit for cooking. They are
>> rounded, at least every one that I saw, and no way
>> will they hold coals.
>
> Silly me, when I went camping I always just turned the lid
> upside down and put the coals on the top :-)

I was thinking about that, but thought that you then lose
the benefit of the nipples on the inside of the lid for
distributing juice. And, how do take the lid off without
either spilling coals into the food or setting your glove on
fire since the handle's now on the inside?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@myrealbox.com> Visit the Infobahn
Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce> "What do you care
what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"
post #15 of 15

Re: substitute for a dutch oven?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:32:23 -0600, "jmcquown" <jmcquown@bellsouth.net>

>I beg to differ; yes they do. Iron 'covers' they call them
>and they have anywhere from 8" to 13-14" diameter covers.
>
>Jill

i thought a dutch oven was a footed cast iron pan and weird-
ass lid so that you could bake things with it using a
campfire. at least that's what it was in my boy scout days
(stop snickering).

your pal, baden-baden
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home