Fallen Tree

Gags

Guest
Was on the way to work this morning at about 0600h......very dark except for
my light.....was cruising along a gravel part of the Yarra Trail with a nice
tail wind (couple of k's before Burke Rd) at prob about 30 km/h or so.
Wasn't really concentrating too hard and next thing I know there is a huge
tree all the way across the path about 8-10m in front of me. I grabbed the
rear brake, dropped a foot and threw the rear tyre out to the left.........I
was pretty lucky in that I managed to stop with at least half a metre to
spare, with the bike at right angles to the direction I was originally
travelling and parallel to the tree.

Scared the **** out of me as the tree sorta blended in with the dark
background and so I didn't see it until the last minute. Could have been
nasty!!

On the way home I stopped to check out my skid mark (the one on the trail,
not in my knicks) and I noticed that there was a couple of other ones as
well!!

Hopefully the council will get around to removing it before someone gets
hurt as it is way to big to move without cutting it up first.

Take care if you are riding the Yarra Trail early in the morning!!

Ride On,

Gags

Originally posted by Gags <snip downed tree story>

Yes, I had to dodge a fallen tree out in Croydon the other night. I
think the high winds knocked a few of them down. Council guys were
cutting it up the next morning.

Who got soggy riding home last night?

Who had on wet shoes to help FREEZE!! their toes this morning?

hippy a.k.a Captain Soggy a.k.a. Blue-Toe Wonder

--

hippy [/i]
Originally posted by Gags wrote:
> <snip downed tree story>
> Yes, I had to dodge a fallen tree out in Croydon the other night. I
> think the high winds knocked a few of them down. Council guys were
> cutting it up the next morning.
> Who got soggy riding home last night?
> Who had on wet shoes to help FREEZE!! their toes this morning?
> hippy a.k.a Captain Soggy a.k.a. Blue-Toe Wonder

Small fan heater + wet shoes + a few hours in a small room = dried
shoes. Not that it matters here in Sydney...

Ritch

--

>Originally posted by ritcho Small fan heater + wet shoes + a few hours
>in a small room = >dried shoes. Not that it matters here in Sydney...

Larger gas heater w/ fan + wet shoes + large unit with no doors to seal
off huge open space = wet shoes + higher energy bill :(

I'm grew up elsewhere, I'm not afraid to say Melbourne's weather sucks!
:)

> wet shoes

Wear sandals (only shimano?). Sandals don't get wet, and socks are easy
to dry or swap.

--

hippy wrote:

> >Originally posted by ritcho Small fan heater + wet shoes + a few hours
> >in a small room = >dried shoes. Not that it matters here in Sydney...

> Larger gas heater w/ fan + wet shoes + large unit with no doors to seal
> off huge open space = wet shoes + higher energy bill :(
>
> I'm grew up elsewhere, I'm not afraid to say Melbourne's weather sucks!
> :)
>
> --

Fill your shoes with newspaper, I mean stuff 'em absolutely full. Really
helps to dry the shoes out. Then put them in front of a heater. Even
better, put them in a laundry with a clothes dryer venting onto them.

aeek wrote:

> wrote:
> > wet shoes

> Wear sandals (only shimano?). Sandals don't get wet, and socks are easy
> to dry or swap.
>
> --

I don't think they stop your feet from freezing though.

Tam

aeek wrote:
> Wear sandals (only shimano?). Sandals don't get wet, and socks are easy
> to dry or swap.

You must've missed my tagline: "Blue-Toe Wonder".

That's in reference to my toes turning from white to blue to red as they
warmed up this morning in the shower after my commute.

I want more material on my feet not less! :)

--

hippy wrote:
> You must've missed my tagline: "Blue-Toe Wonder".
> That's in reference to my toes turning from white to blue to red as they
> warmed up this morning in the shower after my commute.
> I want more material on my feet not less! :)

I have no problems here in Canberra - occasional foggy morns, usually
ride home after dark.

Socks + Roubaix booties + GroundEffect Lucifers + Sandals. The Lucifers
claim to be socks but they are a bit thick and windproof. I loosen the
sandal straps for winter.

--

tonykara wrote:
> with all this talk of food i think we should start a new forum website
> and call it
> sorry it didnt all fit....try again www. Thosewhoworryaboutastembeing5e-
> xtragramsbutwillstilleat3souvlakisandnotthinkaboutthe10kgextrathattheyc-
> arryaroundthewaistlineforums.com
> :D :D

>Originally posted by aeek Socks + Roubaix booties + GroundEffect
>Lucifers + Sandals.

Just thin socks and Nike shoes for me. I do have neoprene toe
warmers, but I haven't used them in AGES! Would've been a top morning
for them though..

--

Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

>hippy wrote:
>>
>> >Originally posted by ritcho Small fan heater + wet shoes + a few hours
>> >in a small room = >dried shoes. Not that it matters here in Sydney...

>> Larger gas heater w/ fan + wet shoes + large unit with no doors to seal
>> off huge open space = wet shoes + higher energy bill :(
>>
>> I'm grew up elsewhere, I'm not afraid to say Melbourne's weather sucks!
>> :)
>>
>> --

>Fill your shoes with newspaper, I mean stuff 'em absolutely full. Really
>helps to dry the shoes out. Then put them in front of a heater. Even
>better, put them in a laundry with a clothes dryer venting onto them.

I aquired one of those old fashioned ladies hair dryers (blows warm
air into a plastic hat thing) as the air coming out of the hose is
warm, not hot, putting the end of the hose in the shoe works well,
Use it for drying shoes, ski boots, gloves.

Ted.
| Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

"Gags" <tba@tba> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Was on the way to work this morning at about 0600h......very dark except for
> my light.....was cruising along a gravel part of the Yarra Trail with a nice
> tail wind (couple of k's before Burke Rd) at prob about 30 km/h or so.
> Wasn't really concentrating too hard and next thing I know there is a huge
> tree all the way across the path about 8-10m in front of me. I grabbed the
> rear brake, dropped a foot and threw the rear tyre out to the left.........I
> was pretty lucky in that I managed to stop with at least half a metre to
> spare, with the bike at right angles to the direction I was originally
> travelling and parallel to the tree.
>
> Scared the **** out of me as the tree sorta blended in with the dark
> background and so I didn't see it until the last minute. Could have been
> nasty!!
>
> On the way home I stopped to check out my skid mark (the one on the trail,
> not in my knicks) and I noticed that there was a couple of other ones as
> well!!
>
> Hopefully the council will get around to removing it before someone gets
> hurt as it is way to big to move without cutting it up first.
>
> Take care if you are riding the Yarra Trail early in the morning!!
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags

I was in a small club race once in farmland around Bunbury (in WA).
It was three or four laps of about a twenty km circuit. The local
farmers were burning off along the road verge and there was an area
where we had to ride through a bit of smoke. Anyway, we were going
down this long stretch of straight road and I was taking a turn at the
front. My head was down and I was going for it. One of the guys at the
back of the group yelled something. I ignored it. Then he yelled again
louder to stop! I looked up and saw a small tree fallen across the
road. We skidded to a halt and shuffled around the fallen tree. Once
we got going again I apologised for my lack of attention but the guy
that yelled out said he had seen the tree fall in front of us just as
we got close to it. Lucky someone was watching! (However I AM known
for pointing out potholes too late.)

Marty