or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cast iron questions

post #1 of 13
I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I was
wondering if anybody here did the same. I would appreciate
some advice, particularly in the area of different
manufacturer's markings.

Doc

--
"I'm completely in favor of the separation
of Church and State. My idea is that

George Carlin
post #2 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

> I only collect Griswold and am still learning.....
>
> K.

Expensive hobby, that. I've got a Wagner Sidney #6 and a
Vollrath #5 with smoke ring. Both I use every day. I've also
got a 10 1/2 inch skillet of unknown parentage. All it has
in the bottom is a "Y" with "10 1/2 skillet" stamped beside
it. I have no idea what it is, but when I get it cleaned up
I'm sure it'll be great.

Doc

--
"I'm completely in favor of the separation
of Church and State. My idea is that
these two institutions screw us up
enough on their own, so both of them
together is certain death."

George Carlin
post #3 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"drdoody" <drdoody@dieslowly.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I was
> wondering if anybody here did the same. I would appreciate
> some advice, particularly in the area of different
> manufacturer's markings.

I've got a small collection mostly of somewhat lesser
known manufacturers. Some I use, others I don't. The most
odd ball piece is an "odorless" skillet made for the top
of a wood stove. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of this
one. It's marked "Odorless", "869", and a patent date of
Oct. 17, 1893.

I've also got a Martin Stove skillet and a Wrought Iron
Range Company (WIRCO) skillet, along with a covered Vollrath
chicken fryer.

Unlike the quality of Griswolds, the WIRCO might be
considered very low quality. It is very thin compared to the
others, and is warped because of this. I had never before
seen cast iron as thin. I got it because it's kind of
unique. Wrought Iron Range Company is the maker of the
famous Home Comfort stoves and the Home Comfort cookbook.

All of the above cast iron is pre-WW II, with the possible
exception of the Martin one. I've also got a Lodge double
burner griddle from the early 1990s which is now very well
seasoned from a decade of cooking pancakes and bacon.

I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
that's another story! ;-)
post #4 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"drdoody" <drdoody@dieslowly.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I was
> wondering if anybody here did the same. I would appreciate
> some advice, particularly in the area of different
> manufacturer's markings.

I've got a small collection mostly of somewhat lesser
known manufacturers. Some I use, others I don't. The most
odd ball piece is an "odorless" skillet made for the top
of a wood stove. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of this
one. It's marked "Odorless", "869", and a patent date of
Oct. 17, 1893.

I've also got a Martin Stove skillet and a Wrought Iron
Range Company (WIRCO) skillet, along with a covered Vollrath
chicken fryer.

Unlike the quality of Griswolds, the WIRCO might be
considered very low quality. It is very thin compared to the
others, and is warped because of this. I had never before
seen cast iron as thin. I got it because it's kind of
unique. Wrought Iron Range Company is the maker of the
famous Home Comfort stoves and the Home Comfort cookbook.

All of the above cast iron is pre-WW II, with the possible
exception of the Martin one. I've also got a Lodge double
burner griddle from the early 1990s which is now very well
seasoned from a decade of cooking pancakes and bacon.

I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
that's another story! ;-)
post #5 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"drdoody" <drdoody@dieslowly.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > I only collect Griswold and am still learning.....
> >
> > K.
>
> Expensive hobby, that. I've got a Wagner Sidney #6 and a
> Vollrath #5 with smoke ring. Both I use every day. I've
> also got a 10 1/2 inch skillet of unknown parentage. All
> it has in the bottom is a "Y" with "10 1/2 skillet"
> stamped beside it. I have no idea what it is, but when I
> get it cleaned up I'm sure it'll be great.
>
> Doc
I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and was
never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
stainless steel pieces. What is the time frame for cast iron
production? Janet
post #6 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"drdoody" <drdoody@dieslowly.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > I only collect Griswold and am still learning.....
> >
> > K.
>
> Expensive hobby, that. I've got a Wagner Sidney #6 and a
> Vollrath #5 with smoke ring. Both I use every day. I've
> also got a 10 1/2 inch skillet of unknown parentage. All
> it has in the bottom is a "Y" with "10 1/2 skillet"
> stamped beside it. I have no idea what it is, but when I
> get it cleaned up I'm sure it'll be great.
>
> Doc
I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and was
never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
stainless steel pieces. What is the time frame for cast iron
production? Janet
post #7 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"Katra" <KatraMungBean@centurytel.net> wrote:
> Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

The enameled cast iron is also a motley lot. Roughly half
is items acquired new (Le Creuset and Cousances), while
the rest are vintage pieces acquired off eBay. These
older pieces include items no longer available these
days, and were made by Descoware (Belgium) and Prizerware
(Reading, PA).

My prize pieces are a "bean pot" and a dutch oven. The bean
pot is unmarked, but I believe is Descoware. It is "flame"
colored. It is a larger version of the more common Descoware
bean pot, but has an iron bail handle. Julia Child had one
exactly like it that can be seen in the background on her
older cooking shows, and it is currently sitting on the
stove in the Smithsonian exhibit of her kitchen. I've only
seen this particular pot twice on eBay, one of those times
being when I got mine.

The dutch oven is Iranian, believe it or not... Not!!! The
woman selling it on eBay listed it as made in Iran, and the
price was right even if it wasn't. When I got received it I
saw the confusion. Compare:

MADE IN IRAN MADE IN FRANCE

Turns out the impression of the letter "F" was weak, looking
like the letter "I" instead. The impressions of the letters
"C" and "E" were almost nonexistant. What it looked like
changed depending on how it was held in the light. From some
angles, it definitely looked like "MADE IN IRAN". I told the
seller she might need new glasses! ;-)

While on the topics of eBay and cast iron, often the
shipping cost exceeds the item cost, as was the case of this
"Iranian" piece. I effectively got my WIRCO skillet for 42
cents, as I bid a dollar, but the actual shipping exceeded
the sellers quote by 58 cents.
post #8 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"Katra" <KatraMungBean@centurytel.net> wrote:
> Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

The enameled cast iron is also a motley lot. Roughly half
is items acquired new (Le Creuset and Cousances), while
the rest are vintage pieces acquired off eBay. These
older pieces include items no longer available these
days, and were made by Descoware (Belgium) and Prizerware
(Reading, PA).

My prize pieces are a "bean pot" and a dutch oven. The bean
pot is unmarked, but I believe is Descoware. It is "flame"
colored. It is a larger version of the more common Descoware
bean pot, but has an iron bail handle. Julia Child had one
exactly like it that can be seen in the background on her
older cooking shows, and it is currently sitting on the
stove in the Smithsonian exhibit of her kitchen. I've only
seen this particular pot twice on eBay, one of those times
being when I got mine.

The dutch oven is Iranian, believe it or not... Not!!! The
woman selling it on eBay listed it as made in Iran, and the
price was right even if it wasn't. When I got received it I
saw the confusion. Compare:

MADE IN IRAN MADE IN FRANCE

Turns out the impression of the letter "F" was weak, looking
like the letter "I" instead. The impressions of the letters
"C" and "E" were almost nonexistant. What it looked like
changed depending on how it was held in the light. From some
angles, it definitely looked like "MADE IN IRAN". I told the
seller she might need new glasses! ;-)

While on the topics of eBay and cast iron, often the
shipping cost exceeds the item cost, as was the case of this
"Iranian" piece. I effectively got my WIRCO skillet for 42
cents, as I bid a dollar, but the actual shipping exceeded
the sellers quote by 58 cents.
post #9 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

Katra wrote:
> wff_ng_6 wrote:
>
> > I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
> > that's another story! ;-)
>
> Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

Descoware rules. I love the screw-in threaded wooden
handles.
post #10 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

Katra wrote:
> wff_ng_6 wrote:
>
> > I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
> > that's another story! ;-)
>
> Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

Descoware rules. I love the screw-in threaded wooden
handles.
post #11 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"Janet Bostwick" <nospam@cableone.net> wrote in message

> I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and
> was never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
> stainless steel pieces. What
is
> the time frame for cast iron production? Janet

The site I have says 1884-1964.

A collector also says that my Vollrath was probably made
between 1930 and 1950, which is fine by me. Still no answer
on the "Y" skillet, thought.

Doc

--
"I'm completely in favor of the separation
of Church and State. My idea is that
these two institutions screw us up
enough on their own, so both of them
together is certain death."

George Carlin
post #12 of 13

Re: Cast iron questions

"Janet Bostwick" <nospam@cableone.net> wrote in message

> I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and
> was never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
> stainless steel pieces. What
is
> the time frame for cast iron production? Janet

The site I have says 1884-1964.

A collector also says that my Vollrath was probably made
between 1930 and 1950, which is fine by me. Still no answer
on the "Y" skillet, thought.

Doc

--
"I'm completely in favor of the separation
of Church and State. My idea is that
these two institutions screw us up
enough on their own, so both of them
together is certain death."

George Carlin
post #13 of 13

Hey Drdoody? By any chance would you sell your Sidney Wagner #6 Bean pot?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition