SRAM 5.0 RD vs XTR M960

Bernard Rother

Guest
Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday and cannot locate replacement parts on South
Africa. LBS suggested XTR. They have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM 9.0
9 speed with 34T and a SRAM Gripshift. Will one of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM
parts. I have max 2 days to let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.

Really need your help here .... thanks.

Bernard

Bernard Rother wrote:
> Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
> rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday and cannot locate replacement parts on South
> Africa. LBS suggested XTR. They have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM
> 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM Gripshift. Will one of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other
> SRAM parts.

No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You need a SRAM rear mech.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:13:34 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

> No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You need a SRAM rear mech.

Unless the shifters are SRAM ESP, which use 2:1 for Shimano compatibility.

Huw "I think..." Pritchard

"Bernard Rother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
> rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday and cannot locate replacement parts on South
> Africa. LBS suggested XTR.
They
> have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM
> Gripshift. Will one of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM parts. I have max 2 days to
> let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.
>
> Really need your help here .... thanks.
>
> Bernard

While the XTR is a hell of a lot better than a 5.0 mech, it's not gonna work with a SRAM gripshifter
(unless it's a special one, I think called ESP, designed for shifting Shimano parts...but if it
were, you wouldn't be using that 5.0 now, would you).

If you cannot get a SRAM rear, get a Shimano rear shifter to go along with that XTR derailleur.

Chris

Huw Pritchard wrote:

>>No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You need a SRAM rear mech.
>

> Unless the shifters are SRAM ESP, which use 2:1 for Shimano compatibility.
>
> Huw "I think..." Pritchard

ESP is the 1:1 ratio. You can get Shimano-compatible SRAM shifters, but then they won't work with a
SRAM rear mech. Because this guy's using SRAM shifters and mech, then it must be ESP (1:1), so an
XTR rear mech won't work.

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:22:57 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

> ESP is the 1:1 ratio. You can get Shimano-compatible SRAM shifters, but then they won't work with
> a SRAM rear mech. Because this guy's using SRAM shifters and mech, then it must be ESP (1:1), so
> an XTR rear mech won't work.

Oh yeah. I see that clearly now.

I'm ill, OK? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Huw "Urrrrgh" Pritchard

> "Bernard Rother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
> > rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last
Sunday
> > and cannot locate replacement parts on South Africa. LBS suggested XTR.
> They
> > have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM
> > Gripshift. Will
one
> > of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM parts. I have max 2
days
> > to let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.
> >
> > Really need your help here .... thanks.
> >
> > Bernard
> >

> While the XTR is a hell of a lot better than a 5.0 mech, it's not gonna
work
> with a SRAM gripshifter (unless it's a special one, I think called ESP, designed for shifting
> Shimano parts...but if it were, you wouldn't be
using
> that 5.0 now, would you).
>
> If you cannot get a SRAM rear, get a Shimano rear shifter to go along with that XTR derailleur.
>
> Chris

Thanks for all the feedback iro the above. We tried the XT mech with the SRAM 5.0 shifter, 1st & 2nd
shift was ok but skipped every second cog thereafter ..... as suggested in the replies. I came home
with a shiny new XT mech and a pair of LX rapidfire shifters. Had to leave behind the XTR and use
the funds on the shifters ;-(

Have just finished installing the whole lot and come back from a short ride .... what a pleasure !!
The old SRAM 5.0's worked flawlessly until the spares dried up but this Shimano kit is like a hot
knife through butter .... sooooo smooth. Now the sad part, the weather prediction for Saturday's
ride is 40% rain, strong westerly wind, 3 deg C temp with snow .... darn.

Thanks again for the help.

Bernard