How to "break" a KMC chain?

TomYoung

Guest
Hi all:

Can't quite get a straight answer on this so I thought I'd ask here. I
have a KMC chain. The plates are marked "KMC", "Narrow", "Z" and
"Z-44". There doesn't appear to be a master link. All the pins, save
one, look exactly the same; the one "odd" one is a black pin.

So, how does one seperate the chain to remove it from the bike?

1)In the old-fashioned way of partially pushing out a pin and pushing
the pin back in to re-assemble? If so, is the black pin to me avoided
in this exercise, or is that "the one" pin you *can* partially push
out?

2)Completely pushing out a pin and then using a special replacement pin
like on Shimano chains? Is that what that one black link on the KMC
chain is? Will Shimano replacement pins work?

TIA.

Tom Young

I push the pin out only once, to get the correct chain length. Then I
replace one of the outer links with a quick-release link like those made
by SRAM (Formerly "SuperLink")

Don't worry if it's a different brand than the chain. If it's the right
width, 7, 8, 9 speed whatever, it'll work fine.

And will leave your chain much less susceptible to unwanted link
seperation due to improper reassembly.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Generally, that black pin is one you should NEVER push out. Those who
assembled your bike probably shortened a chain and used a replacement
pin (Shimano-style) to re-assemble. It's a wee bit bigger than the
others. Driving that one out will further weaken the chain, even if you
use a Shimano pin.

Drive out any other pin, then either remove the outer link altogether
and replac with a "master link", or use a Shimano pin.