Ride report; Anfractuous 200

MartinM

Guest
I put this down in the calendar it the beginning of the year because
it;
a, was around my old stomping ground of the Chilterns and the Thames
Valley
b. gave me a good excuse to stay with my friend nearby and have curry
and BEER the night before.

37 riders started the 200 from Chalfont St Peter, and went straight up
the hill to inspect Tesco's expensive pile of rubble in Gerrards Cross.
Then through the back of beyond to Marlow where a long stretch to
Christmas Common (cue extemely tough gully and kites; the bird kind). A
lovely descent down to Watlington where we met the wind all the way to
Lambourn. This was interspersed with some awfully poshe caffes and the
very very silly Streatley Hill where I had to look as if I was enjoying
it for photographer Tim Wainwright. A superb 75 km/h descent of the
Ridgeway to Wantage where (Fixed) Phil filled me in on what was to
come; a stiff climb back up the Ridgeway then down to Lambourn and then
all very pleasant back to the Thames. For much of the ride I rode with
a chap with an LEL stormtrooper jersey and a bloke on his first 200,
also a chap from Gravesend CTC who I usually end up riding at the same
pace as. The route sheet was generally pretty good but the distances
were often found lacking in that we e.g actually travelled backwards
for about (-) 500m; I believe this was partly the result of cobbling
the route together from part of a 600. We overshot one turn as the
distance was completelty AOF.A stop at a desinger sandwich bar in
awfully poshe Pangbourne was followed by some silliness as we retraced
much of last year's Upper Thames 200; it was light and dry but as we
were still not nowhere near the finish this was not necessarily better
than the UT. At the end of the silly section I met Phil who had taken
the main road bypass and was not having a good day (although probably a
lot better than I would have been having ridden LEL this year), It
finally started to rain in Cookham but the wooded slopes of the last
few hills Gavin could scrape up kept me mostly dry. Finished the 207km
in 10.30.
A recommended ride, a bit of everything and well organised.

Martin,

Nice report. It seems like a good ride, it's a while since we were out
in that part of Oxon/Berks.

We did about 76 miles yesterday out to Stockbridge (Hampshire) skirting
the north of Winchester on the way out and the south of Basingstoke on
the way back. The last three hours or so were in steady rain, and we got
back just after 7.

This does not fill me with confidence for the Sonning Common 200km in
four weeks.

Our speed is barely enough to make up enough time for the necessary food
stops, punctures could well put us outside the limit.

Our longest ride to date is a 140km grimpeur at the end of July. My knee
was giving trouble for the last 10 miles yesterday, I couldn't
contemplate riding another 40 miles in that state.

We will probably have to ride about 3 hours in the dark.

We have got to the stage where we can do 100km rides without worrying
about them, but a 200 looks to be more than we can chew. I'll see how we
get on with the Corwen ride in two weeks, but the 200km is beginning to
scare me.

Mike

Mike K Smith wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Nice report. It seems like a good ride, it's a while since we were out
> in that part of Oxon/Berks.
>
> We did about 76 miles yesterday out to Stockbridge (Hampshire) skirting
> the north of Winchester on the way out and the south of Basingstoke on
> the way back. The last three hours or so were in steady rain, and we got
> back just after 7.
>
> This does not fill me with confidence for the Sonning Common 200km in
> four weeks.
>
> Our speed is barely enough to make up enough time for the necessary food
> stops, punctures could well put us outside the limit.
>
> Our longest ride to date is a 140km grimpeur at the end of July. My knee
> was giving trouble for the last 10 miles yesterday, I couldn't
> contemplate riding another 40 miles in that state.
>
> We will probably have to ride about 3 hours in the dark.
>
> We have got to the stage where we can do 100km rides without worrying
> about them, but a 200 looks to be more than we can chew. I'll see how we
> get on with the Corwen ride in two weeks, but the 200km is beginning to
> scare me.

I rode the Upper Thames last year and didn't finish until well after
dark; and the last bit was very hilly and on narrow lanes (there was a
main road alternative which looked even scarier)
200's at this time of the year are a bit hit and miss, but the UT is a
great ride and worth considering, the Cotswold scenery is very nice.

MartinM wrote:
> Mike K Smith wrote:
> > Martin,
> >
> > Nice report. It seems like a good ride, it's a while since we were out
> > in that part of Oxon/Berks.
> >
> > We did about 76 miles yesterday out to Stockbridge (Hampshire) skirting
> > the north of Winchester on the way out and the south of Basingstoke on
> > the way back. The last three hours or so were in steady rain, and we got
> > back just after 7.
> >
> > This does not fill me with confidence for the Sonning Common 200km in
> > four weeks.
> >
> > Our speed is barely enough to make up enough time for the necessary food
> > stops, punctures could well put us outside the limit.
> >
> > Our longest ride to date is a 140km grimpeur at the end of July. My knee
> > was giving trouble for the last 10 miles yesterday, I couldn't
> > contemplate riding another 40 miles in that state.
> >
> > We will probably have to ride about 3 hours in the dark.
> >
> > We have got to the stage where we can do 100km rides without worrying
> > about them, but a 200 looks to be more than we can chew. I'll see how we
> > get on with the Corwen ride in two weeks, but the 200km is beginning to
> > scare me.

> I rode the Upper Thames last year and didn't finish until well after
> dark; and the last bit was very hilly and on narrow lanes (there was a
> main road alternative which looked even scarier)
> 200's at this time of the year are a bit hit and miss, but the UT is a
> great ride and worth considering, the Cotswold scenery is very nice.

Sounds like an interesting route, I know most of those places from when
I was at Reading Uni and when I lived in West London. I was thinking
about entering the Upper Thames but its just too far to go. Maybe next
year I'll get myself organised and get booked into Streatley YH and do
one of these events for old times sake. Well done anyway, I like the
LEL Stormtrooper remark, thats what we get called up north too !!!

MSeries wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > Mike K Smith wrote:
> > > Martin,
> > >
> > > Nice report. It seems like a good ride, it's a while since we were out
> > > in that part of Oxon/Berks.
> > >
> > > We did about 76 miles yesterday out to Stockbridge (Hampshire) skirting
> > > the north of Winchester on the way out and the south of Basingstoke on
> > > the way back. The last three hours or so were in steady rain, and we got
> > > back just after 7.
> > >
> > > This does not fill me with confidence for the Sonning Common 200km in
> > > four weeks.
> > >
> > > Our speed is barely enough to make up enough time for the necessary food
> > > stops, punctures could well put us outside the limit.
> > >
> > > Our longest ride to date is a 140km grimpeur at the end of July. My knee
> > > was giving trouble for the last 10 miles yesterday, I couldn't
> > > contemplate riding another 40 miles in that state.
> > >
> > > We will probably have to ride about 3 hours in the dark.
> > >
> > > We have got to the stage where we can do 100km rides without worrying
> > > about them, but a 200 looks to be more than we can chew. I'll see how we
> > > get on with the Corwen ride in two weeks, but the 200km is beginning to
> > > scare me.

> > I rode the Upper Thames last year and didn't finish until well after
> > dark; and the last bit was very hilly and on narrow lanes (there was a
> > main road alternative which looked even scarier)
> > 200's at this time of the year are a bit hit and miss, but the UT is a
> > great ride and worth considering, the Cotswold scenery is very nice.

> Sounds like an interesting route, I know most of those places from when
> I was at Reading Uni and when I lived in West London. I was thinking
> about entering the Upper Thames but its just too far to go. Maybe next
> year I'll get myself organised and get booked into Streatley YH and do
> one of these events for old times sake. Well done anyway, I like the
> LEL Stormtrooper remark, thats what we get called up north too

I'll get his name once I get a chance to look at photos; it's a bit of
old time's sake for me as well; used to live near the M25 at Heathrow
and west was the only way to go; did London to Oxford a couple of times
as well which used the same roads.

Mike K Smith wrote:

> We did about 76 miles yesterday out to Stockbridge (Hampshire)...

I hope you called in to Robinsons and stocked up with some of their
sausages :)

Its by far the best reason for visiting Stockbridge ;-)

John B

MartinM wrote:

> I'll get his name once I get a chance to look at photos; it's a bit of
> old time's sake for me as well; used to live near the M25 at Heathrow
> and west was the only way to go; did London to Oxford a couple of times
> as well which used the same roads.

I was in REading from 1983-1986 then from 1986-1990 I lived in
Northolt, Southall and Hayes (Middx) - worked for EMI (who) used to
ride out to Henley and of course Reading quite a lot. One of my
favourite routes was from Henley up the hill to Pishill and if I was
feeling good maybe go on to Oxford. Never did THE London to Oxford
though. Other places I remember were Stonor, Christmas Common,
Watlington, Marlow, Cookham Dean. I haven't cycled round there since
1990, got to get back there next year or maybe this, I quite enjoyed
winter Sunday morning rides round there.

MSeries wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>

> > I'll get his name once I get a chance to look at photos; it's a bit of
> > old time's sake for me as well; used to live near the M25 at Heathrow
> > and west was the only way to go; did London to Oxford a couple of times
> > as well which used the same roads.

> I was in REading from 1983-1986 then from 1986-1990 I lived in
> Northolt, Southall and Hayes (Middx) - worked for EMI (who) used to
> ride out to Henley and of course Reading quite a lot. One of my
> favourite routes was from Henley up the hill to Pishill and if I was
> feeling good maybe go on to Oxford. Never did THE London to Oxford
> though. Other places I remember were Stonor, Christmas Common,
> Watlington, Marlow, Cookham Dean. I haven't cycled round there since
> 1990, got to get back there next year or maybe this, I quite enjoyed
> winter Sunday morning rides round there.

I did London-Oxford once. I was due to do my first ten at the course on
the A4129 at Princes Risborough but was living in Harrow at the time.
It was one heck of a warm up ride for a ten, about 30-odd miles, which
meant a 5.30 am start that morning. I'd got back from playing in a band
in South East London in the small hours which didn't help.

Anyway, got there and posted my best ever time for a ten on a blustery
day. Easy to be a PB when its your only ride ;-) Rode on from there to
Oxford for lunch with the other people in the band with whom I had been
playing, then got the train home. First ten and longest ride to date
then.

...d

MSeries wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>

> > I'll get his name once I get a chance to look at photos; it's a bit of
> > old time's sake for me as well; used to live near the M25 at Heathrow
> > and west was the only way to go; did London to Oxford a couple of times
> > as well which used the same roads.

> I was in REading from 1983-1986 then from 1986-1990 I lived in
> Northolt, Southall and Hayes (Middx) - worked for EMI (who) used to
> ride out to Henley and of course Reading quite a lot. One of my
> favourite routes was from Henley up the hill to Pishill and if I was
> feeling good maybe go on to Oxford. Never did THE London to Oxford
> though. Other places I remember were Stonor, Christmas Common,
> Watlington, Marlow, Cookham Dean. I haven't cycled round there since
> 1990, got to get back there next year or maybe this, I quite enjoyed
> winter Sunday morning rides round there.

THE London to Oxford is IMO the hardest of the L2's; they dumbed it
down a bit when they took out the hill up to Flackwell Heath. Just
before we moved back to Sussex I took my new bike around every big hill
around there I could find and back along Dorney Reach to Eton and
Windsor before doing the Great Park which was a great place. Hard to
tell which ride would be best from the UT and the Anfractuous to
re-visit; The UT has some great scenery but Gavin's has the biggest
hills, Colstrope Lane and Fawley being the worst, it also does
Watlington, Cookham Dean and Marlow, they both do Christmas Common.

MartinM wrote:
Gavin's has the biggest
> hills, Colstrope Lane and Fawley being the worst, it also does
> Watlington, Cookham Dean and Marlow, they both do Christmas Common.

The Anfractuous is it then next year if its on again.

MSeries wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> Gavin's has the biggest
> > hills, Colstrope Lane and Fawley being the worst, it also does
> > Watlington, Cookham Dean and Marlow, they both do Christmas Common.

> The Anfractuous is it then next year if its on again.

It should be; I know he had a few hiccoughs but over 50 starters for a
first event is a pretty good first showing. I'll be doing it again.
I'll do the Upper Thames as well if it doesn't clash with Lewes bonfire
night (which it does this year and next but not the year after)

I rode that loop through Wantage/Lamborne last week. If you are
talking B4001, it's pretty shallow, and the slow decend into "The
Valley of the Racehorse" is beautiful. I'd have taken you over the
White Horse Hill and down to Ashbury. Now that really is a hill. I too
achieved 75km/h down the A338. This is now a regular training route for
me.

I live on that flat plane called the Vale of the White Horse, about 25
minutes to a hill, Mind you I'm from Devon, where hills be short, steep
and frequent :)

kind regards
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

daren wrote:
> I rode that loop through Wantage/Lamborne last week. If you are
> talking B4001, it's pretty shallow, and the slow decend into "The
> Valley of the Racehorse" is beautiful. I'd have taken you over the
> White Horse Hill and down to Ashbury. Now that really is a hill. I too
> achieved 75km/h down the A338. This is now a regular training route for
> me.

yes that's the feller, don't tell me about Devon very silly hills there
(and homicidal buzzards!)
Have you entered my event yet? just ridden it under the organisers' 8
day rule; hope Saturday's weather is as perfect as today.

John B wrote:
> Mike K Smith wrote:
>
>>We did about 76 miles yesterday out to Stockbridge (Hampshire)...

> I hope you called in to Robinsons and stocked up with some of their
> sausages :)

Didn't think of that. I was looking for food which would give instant
energy with no cooking. Must buy some next time I'm there.
How do they compare with O'Hagan's of Bosham?

> Its by far the best reason for visiting Stockbridge ;-)

Stockbridge is a nice town, there of lots of reasons to visit.

Mike

Mike K Smith wrote:

> John B wrote:
> > Mike K Smith wrote:
> >
> >>We did about 76 miles yesterday out to Stockbridge (Hampshire)...

> > I hope you called in to Robinsons and stocked up with some of their
> > sausages :)

> Didn't think of that. I was looking for food which would give instant
> energy with no cooking. Must buy some next time I'm there.
> How do they compare with O'Hagan's of Bosham?

Its some years since I've had O'Hagans, but they compare well.
They are nice and meaty - and are regular award winners.
The butcher still carries out the tradition of not passing money over
teh counter - you have to go to a separate 'clerk' who takes the cash.
i enjoyed some excellent Honey and Mustard sausages last week, but the
traditional pork are my faves.

> > Its by far the best reason for visiting Stockbridge ;-)

> Stockbridge is a nice town, there of lots of reasons to visit.

Hmmm.
IMO its really just one large car park surrounded by antique shops, much
like many small market towns these days :-(

John B

John B wrote On 10/13/05 12:50,:
> Mike K Smith wrote:

>>Stockbridge is a nice town, there of lots of reasons to visit.

> Hmmm.
> IMO its really just one large car park surrounded by antique shops, much
> like many small market towns these days :-(

It's nicer than Basingstoke! There aren't many towns where you can take
a bag of bread crusts to feed the ducks and the trout in the main
street. We took my young nieces there a few years ago and they thought
that was wonderful.

Mike K Smith wrote:

> John B wrote On 10/13/05 12:50,:
> > Mike K Smith wrote:

> >>Stockbridge is a nice town, there of lots of reasons to visit.

> > Hmmm.
> > IMO its really just one large car park surrounded by antique shops, much
> > like many small market towns these days :-(

> It's nicer than Basingstoke!

Don't be so rude about my home town ;-)
Basingsjoke is famous for err, umm, a bomb being dropped on it in the
last war...
and, err, umm... 'Oh Mr Porter' was partly filmed there, just down the
road from my Gran's.

> There aren't many towns where you can take
> a bag of bread crusts to feed the ducks and the trout in the main
> street.

<smile>
You can where I live, and there are far more ducks and trout than
Stockbridge :)

John B

MSeries wrote:

> I was in REading from 1983-1986 then from 1986-1990 I lived in
> Northolt, Southall and Hayes (Middx) - worked for EMI

did you know Paul Monaghan?

MartinM wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>

>>I was in REading from 1983-1986 then from 1986-1990 I lived in
>>Northolt, Southall and Hayes (Middx) - worked for EMI

> did you know Paul Monaghan?

no sorry

Mike K Smith wrote:

> We have got to the stage where we can do 100km rides without worrying
> about them, but a 200 looks to be more than we can chew. I'll see how we
> get on with the Corwen ride in two weeks, but the 200km is beginning to
> scare me.

When I did my first imperial double century, having not done much more
than 80 miles before, I decided to just set out with no expectations of
finishing just to see how far I would get. I finished which was a
complete shock to me but not expecting to finish took all the worry and
pressure away of that "unattainable" end point. I would just set the
next target as I went along - "Still feeling OK, let make it to the next
town/city/feed stop and reappraise then" Before I knew it I was within
striking distance of the end and the wonderful thought I was going to
make it.

So why not just set out in the same mindset and see how far you get?
There is no shame in not finishing and you might surprise yourself on
the day. Have your bale out plans sorted should you need them (friend
with car, train station etc) but otherwise just do the Zen "living in
the present moment" thing until you don't want to go any further or have
finished. The middle section will be the toughest - come a long way but
still a long way to go - so keep the targets frequent at every 2-5 miles
in that section and DO NOT think about anything beyond the next target.
You can do 10 or 20 mile targets at the beginning and end.

Good luck

--
Tony

right."